Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM

529 posts, read 2,712,232 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks
I filed a small claims case against my nieghbor for the maximum in Bexar County (10 K). I got a letter today from the Judge Alex show asking if I would be interested in taking my case there.

What do you think? On the plus side, if I win the case, I get paid. A judgement in Bexar County Small Claims is just that - a judgement. They can't force my neighbor to pay me.

On the negative side, I'm sure that the producers will try to do something to sensationalize the case to make it interesting enough for TV. I read once in a local paper in Oklahoma City about this lady who had a case on Judge Judy - something about suing for vet bills. The Judge Judy show told the lady she had to ask for acupuncture fees for her dog in addition to vet bills. When the lady said no, they said she couldn't be on the show.

And usually those folks on the Judge Alex show aren't shown in the best light. I don't know if it is worth 10K to be embarresed.

Has anyone ever been on Judge Alex??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:54 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,458,731 times
I've never been, but wouldn't mind being on Judge Alex. However, I would NEVER go on Judge Judy! That little woman is vicious! *lol*

While the Bexar County maximum is 10K, what is the show's maximum? I know I've heard on other court shows that, while the max in the parties' jurisdiction may be more, the show's max is only a certain amount and that's the amount that will be paid, if awarded the maximum.

I love watching those shows! It seems to me that, if you go prepared, answer only what's asked of you and don't interrupt the judge or opposing party, you're ok, much as you would be in a non-televised court. I say go for it!

Last edited by SanAntoQT; 02-14-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,375,624 times
No. I know a guy that was on american idol. made a fool of himself on tv.Its really not funny or cute when you actually know these people in person.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,334,689 times
Default Think about it

You should watch some episodes of the show to see how you like it. Watch some and imagine you could be either person on the show and see who looks goofey. Remember, it's somethign that's going to follow you around forever. Could be really cool, could be embarassing. Do both parties have to agree? What if the person you are filing suit against doesn't?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,375,624 times
Ok this is what I think when I watch these shows. Just my opinion since you asked. Watching doctor phil and the court shows and stuff like that first thing I ask myself is who are these freakshows that contact these tv shows to broadcast all thier personal problems to the world?! Dont these people have jobs, neighbors, and friends who are going to see this? Im sure they do it because they think its cool to be on tv but really...no one else watching is thinking the same thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM

529 posts, read 2,712,232 times
Yes, Metalfish. That is my concern about going on the show -that plus the camera really does add 10 pounds . I'm weighing that against actually getting paid.

dmaria123, you are right, there is a show maximum. I just called the producer and she said the most they will pay is 5K if I win and they pay it within 2 weeks. I'm actually out over 20K because of my neighbor. I was suing for 10K because it is Bexar County's small claims maximum.

I have watched Judge Alex a few times and the litigants are not seen in the best light. Like the first poster said, I don't plan to argue or talk loud or interupt. If I stay dignified throughout the process, perhaps I won't get aired. If I don't air, I wonder if I will get paid if I win?

Shenane

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
Ok this is what I think when I watch these shows. Just my opinion since you asked. Watching doctor phil and the court shows and stuff like that first thing I ask myself is who are these freakshows that contact these tv shows to broadcast all thier personal problems to the world?! Dont these people have jobs, neighbors, and friends who are going to see this? Im sure they do it because they think its cool to be on tv but really...no one else watching is thinking the same thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM

15 posts, read 76,705 times
Default Paid

Do you get the 5K plus a judgement?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,458,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepiece View Post
Do you get the 5K plus a judgement?
Sometimes plaintiffs sue for a set amount, but the judge may award a lesser amount. A judgment will be issued, but only for the amount the judge has awarded. The litigants cannot go back to their own jurisdictions to sue for the rest.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM

34 posts, read 160,331 times
Don't know if this will help, but I went on "The People's Court" (in NY) 1 1/2 year ago. Actually it was pretty cut and dry like in a court room, except for the actual set size which was really really small you will be surprised compared to the size it appears on TV. I would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Hi Folks
I filed a small claims case against my nieghbor for the maximum in Bexar County (10 K). I got a letter today from the Judge Alex show asking if I would be interested in taking my case there.

What do you think? On the plus side, if I win the case, I get paid. A judgement in Bexar County Small Claims is just that - a judgement. They can't force my neighbor to pay me.

On the negative side, I'm sure that the producers will try to do something to sensationalize the case to make it interesting enough for TV. I read once in a local paper in Oklahoma City about this lady who had a case on Judge Judy - something about suing for vet bills. The Judge Judy show told the lady she had to ask for acupuncture fees for her dog in addition to vet bills. When the lady said no, they said she couldn't be on the show.

And usually those folks on the Judge Alex show aren't shown in the best light. I don't know if it is worth 10K to be embarresed.

Has anyone ever been on Judge Alex??

Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,821,132 times
What has them interested in your case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio