Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 12:57 PM

75 posts, read 63,806 times

Advertisements

I've been on and off interested in SLC for awhile. It seems like a great outdoors city for those who dont want to pay up for Denver. I genuinely am concerned about the direction Denver has been heading and I'm not too sure I want to be apart of it. So SLC has peaked my interest.

My concern is mostly over the social dynamic. I hear there isnt much to really do in the city. Or at least when you compare it to maybe Denver or Minneapolis, there just isnt the same city life. But hey, I guess people live there for the outdoors right?

But Im not LDS and I hear there is a weird dynamic there between LDS and non-LDS people. For someone like me who grew up in religion and deconstructed a bit the last thing I want is moving to a religously conservative area where Im proselytized to and have a hard time connecting. No judgement on those who practice LDS. I just hear that it can be hard to make new friends in SLC.

Also I keep hearing about the air quality and how it can take years off your life.

Here is the deal. Im not a skiier or snowboarder. I could become one, but im more of a biker. I've never lived somewhere where you could do winter sports. This seems like the biggest draw to the region. I love the mountains though. I would lose out on that in Minneapolis

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 06:08 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
My concern is mostly over the social dynamic. I hear there isn't much to really do in the city. Or at least when you compare it to maybe Denver or Minneapolis, there just isn't the same city life. But hey, I guess people live there for the outdoors right?
Thoughts?
"There isn't much to really do in the city."
OK..., what is it that you would like to do?
SLC, really does not roll up their sidewalks after 6 PM... Plenty of places stay open past that time.

Quote:
But I'm not LDS and I hear there is a weird dynamic there between LDS and non-LDS people. For someone like me who grew up in religion and deconstructed a bit the last thing I want is to move to a religiously conservative area where I'm proselytized and have a hard time connecting. No judgement on those who practice LDS. I just hear that it can be hard to make new friends in SLC. Thoughts?
Hmmm... "Weird" dynamic, because it does not fit your way of thinking? What kind of "dynamic" does fit your way? Or are you the type of my way or no way? I really do not know if there even is an area that thinks and acts completely your way, so you do need to adapt, whether you like it or not...
Over half of the population of SLC, does not practice the LDS religion, and they can not be all wrong, or?

Quote:
Also I keep hearing about the air quality and how it can take years off your life.Thoughts?
Do you know of any place in this country where the air quality is really safe to live in? If you do then move there. If the air quality does take years off your life, why are there so many old people here in this State?

Quote:
Here is the deal. Im not a skiier or snowboarder. I could become one, but I'm more of a biker. I've never lived somewhere where you could do winter sports. This seems like the biggest draw to the region. I love the mountains though. I would lose out on that in Minneapolis.
Thoughts?
The liveable areas of the Salt Lake Valley are not all steep hills. Plenty of areas where bicycling is practised. Why do you "love" the mountains? You did mention that you could become a skier or snowboarder. Maybe you should take the opportunity and follow that inkling?

Old 11-22-2022, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 63,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
"There isn't much to really do in the city."
OK..., what is it that you would like to do?
SLC, really does not roll up their sidewalks after 6 PM... Plenty of places stay open past that time.

Hmmm... "Weird" dynamic, because it does not fit your way of thinking? What kind of "dynamic" does fit your way? Or are you the type of my way or no way? I really do not know if there even is an area that thinks and acts completely your way, so you do need to adapt, whether you like it or not...
Over half of the population of SLC, does not practice the LDS religion, and they can not be all wrong, or?

Do you know of any place in this country where the air quality is really safe to live in? If you do then move there. If the air quality does take years off your life, why are there so many old people here in this State?

The liveable areas of the Salt Lake Valley are not all steep hills. Plenty of areas where bicycling is practised. Why do you "love" the mountains? You did mention that you could become a skier or snowboarder. Maybe you should take the opportunity and follow that inkling?

Of course people think differently then others and that is okay. Feels like your assuming much here. I used to live in a very red county in FL. Very conservative Evangelicals everywhere. It was such a relief to go to a new city with more diversity. The challenge I see with SLC is the same I felt back in FL, but from LDS. I have nothing wrong with other beliefs, but an overwhelming presence of any religious group that actively wants more members is a lot. I've heard testimonies of people saying LDS people treated them differently. It concerned me about the area, so I am asking. I didnt know how much of the population was LDS. This doesnt need to be an argument about religion, just asking.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:49 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
I've been on and off interested in SLC for awhile. It seems like a great outdoors city for those who dont want to pay up for Denver. I genuinely am concerned about the direction Denver has been heading and I'm not too sure I want to be apart of it. So SLC has peaked my interest.

My concern is mostly over the social dynamic. I hear there isnt much to really do in the city. Or at least when you compare it to maybe Denver or Minneapolis, there just isnt the same city life. But hey, I guess people live there for the outdoors right?

But Im not LDS and I hear there is a weird dynamic there between LDS and non-LDS people. For someone like me who grew up in religion and deconstructed a bit the last thing I want is moving to a religously conservative area where Im proselytized to and have a hard time connecting. No judgement on those who practice LDS. I just hear that it can be hard to make new friends in SLC.

Also I keep hearing about the air quality and how it can take years off your life.

Here is the deal. Im not a skiier or snowboarder. I could become one, but im more of a biker. I've never lived somewhere where you could do winter sports. This seems like the biggest draw to the region. I love the mountains though. I would lose out on that in Minneapolis

Thoughts?
Research air quality and inversions for yourself and not rely on random forum responses. The air quality concerns are real and likely to worsen with time (with Great Salt Lake drying up). No credible solutions exist and aren't credibly pursued by the political leadership in the State.

The comeback from @Irman is just one person's perspective. I personally know of at least 4 people/families that have had to leave the area due to air quality problems - all on the advice of their doctors. And yes - they are worse than a lot of other places.

So, research using credible sources and decide if it is a place for you or not.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:

1. My concern is mostly over the social dynamic. I hear there isnt much to really do in the city. Or at least when you compare it to maybe Denver or Minneapolis, there just isnt the same city life. But hey, I guess people live there for the outdoors right?

Here is the deal. Im not a skiier or snowboarder. I could become one,2. but im more of a biker. I've never lived somewhere where you could do winter sports. This seems like the biggest draw to the region. I love the mountains though. I would lose out on that in Minneapolis

Thoughts?
1. The downtown really is dead. Yes, there are places to go but there's nobody out on the streets. If you're used to places with a sense of vibrancy on the streets, a vibe that it's happening, SLC isn't it. That said, you're not likely to be proselytized to, no worries there.

2. There are LOTS of transplants here for the outdoors. In another thread on this forum somebody observed that the happy transplants are outdoor enthusiasts of some sort, not casual participants. I agree. That's cause Utah culture is, frankly, a bit odd. But that won't concern you if you're embedded in the outdoor community. It's much, MUCH more accessable than Denver. If you take up snow sports it's probably the best place in the world, literally. Biking is also terrific. I find it far better to the east of SLC - beautiful rolling terrain with fewer crowds, much cooler in summer. Nearby but still close.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:04 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm one of those that do not see Denver and Salt Lake City as particularly comparable. Denver is a Midwestern boomtown near the mountains. Salt Lake City is a Mountain West metropolis with a unique history and distinct local culture. The Front Range urban corridor has a significantly larger and more diverse population. There are also many more focal points in the area with Boulder, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Loveland, and others being major centers of employment and commercial activity. Salt Lake City, Provo, and, to a certain extent, Ogden is it.

Salt Lake City is no longer an affordable refuge for pretty much anyone coming from anywhere besides the elite coastal regions. To me, it is expensive. I doubt very seriously that relocating to Salt Lake City would represent significant savings over Denver, especially when you factor in the well-known Utah lowball that employers seem to enjoy because of the large number of people that really want and need to be in Utah—and yes, the Church has something to do with that.

I'm hesitant to comment on the whole nightlife thing. Growing up outside of Chicago and spending a significant amount of time in all three cities mentioned: Denver, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City—all three are subdued compared to what I'm used to. I think Minneapolis probably has the most vibrant nightlife of the three.

The LDS Church is one of the largest religious groups in the country. While strength in numbers is a thing, I have found that LDS people in Utah are often very diverse in beliefs and practice, much more so than people will give credit for. Latter-day Saints aren't proselytizing any more in Utah than they are anywhere else, as far as I know. LDS people within Salt Lake City and to a certain extent the suburbs are under no illusion that they are part of the majority culture anymore and many are themselves influenced by secular sensibilities. I find Evangelical Christians and many other groups that are more visible elsewhere to be significantly more aggressive and abrasive than Latter-day Saints, but I do admit to a bias.

Most surveys show that LDS people are less politically and ideologically conservative but more traditional in personal morality than other conservative Christian groups, and this aligns with my experience. There are a lot fewer Trump enthusiasts and a lot more tolerance for LGBT people than you would expect for a so-called conservative stronghold. People in Utah meet people the same way that people everywhere else do—work, school, worship, going out, etc. I would not worry about it at all.

Minneapolis and the Midwest have ample opportunities for winter sports. Our skiing out here is just very different and somewhat less accessible, especially for experienced skiers. I have always found Salt Lake City to be far more oriented toward skiing than Denver. The ski areas are so much closer and the culture is more visible in every way.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm one of those that do not see Denver and Salt Lake City as particularly comparable. Denver is a Midwestern boomtown near the mountains. Salt Lake City is a Mountain West metropolis with a unique history and distinct local culture. The Front Range urban corridor has a significantly larger and more diverse population. There are also many more focal points in the area with Boulder, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Loveland, and others being major centers of employment and commercial activity. Salt Lake City, Provo, and, to a certain extent, Ogden is it.

Salt Lake City is no longer an affordable refuge for pretty much anyone coming from anywhere besides the elite coastal regions. To me, it is expensive. I doubt very seriously that relocating to Salt Lake City would represent significant savings over Denver, especially when you factor in the well-known Utah lowball that employers seem to enjoy because of the large number of people that really want and need to be in Utah—and yes, the Church has something to do with that.

I'm hesitant to comment on the whole nightlife thing. Growing up outside of Chicago and spending a significant amount of time in all three cities mentioned: Denver, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City—all three are subdued compared to what I'm used to. I think Minneapolis probably has the most vibrant nightlife of the three.

The LDS Church is one of the largest religious groups in the country. While strength in numbers is a thing, I have found that LDS people in Utah are often very diverse in beliefs and practice, much more so than people will give credit for. Latter-day Saints aren't proselytizing any more in Utah than they are anywhere else, as far as I know. LDS people within Salt Lake City and to a certain extent the suburbs are under no illusion that they are part of the majority culture anymore and many are themselves influenced by secular sensibilities. I find Evangelical Christians and many other groups that are more visible elsewhere to be significantly more aggressive and abrasive than Latter-day Saints, but I do admit to a bias.

Most surveys show that LDS people are less politically and ideologically conservative but more traditional in personal morality than other conservative Christian groups, and this aligns with my experience. There are a lot fewer Trump enthusiasts and a lot more tolerance for LGBT people than you would expect for a so-called conservative stronghold. People in Utah meet people the same way that people everywhere else do—work, school, worship, going out, etc. I would not worry about it at all.

Minneapolis and the Midwest have ample opportunities for winter sports. Our skiing out here is just very different and somewhat less accessible, especially for experienced skiers. I have always found Salt Lake City to be far more oriented toward skiing than Denver. The ski areas are so much closer and the culture is more visible in every way.
I'm thinking maybe you framed this backwards? When people refer to "winter sports" downhill/alpine skiing usually tops the list. And for that there really isn't another city on earth with better access than SLC. And, unlike CO, many resorts are strongly oriented towards experienced skiers (Alta and SWnowbird come to mind, but some others too). But yeah, for sure the ski culture here is more visible than Denver. It's now 1245pm and snow is starting in the Cottonwoods. I'm headed up for a few hours and will back in plenty of time for cocktails and dinner. Try that in Denver!

Worth noting too that SLC has become the nation's mother ship for rock climbing, especially with the support of USA Climbing and their pro training center. This is where the pros come (or want to come). And access is as easy as it is for skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area