Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM

306 posts, read 701,223 times

Advertisements

How does this work in California? Am I correct in believing water bottles have deposits and if so, how do I recycle them and get my deposit money back? In NY, they have bottle return machines in grocery stores that print out tickets to get 5 cents per bottle, but I've never seen anything like that here. What do I do with my empty water bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,402 times
Look for Nexcycle locations closest to you. You bring a bag of your bottles, dump it into the trashcan, and the person there will weigh it for you. You bring the ticket they give you inside to the store (usually Safeway) and there it'll be cashed out.

Or you can just put it in the blue bin and the recycling truck will pick it up.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I found it was much easier to put the bottles/cans in the recyclable trashcan for pickup, as the amount I got back wasn't worth the storage, and driving to the local recycler.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 AM

306 posts, read 701,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Look for Nexcycle locations closest to you. You bring a bag of your bottles, dump it into the trashcan, and the person there will weigh it for you. You bring the ticket they give you inside to the store (usually Safeway) and there it'll be cashed out.

Or you can just put it in the blue bin and the recycling truck will pick it up.
I'm confused. You get money back based on weight and not per-bottle? How much money does that come out to per bottle then?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I'm confused. You get money back based on weight and not per-bottle? How much money does that come out to per bottle then?
It's supposed to come out exactly the same.

But I agree with the above poster. I've stood in line for over 30 minutes, in what smells like the debris of last night's beer party with three or four bags of water bottles to get my receipt for $3.50. Then you go into the store and stand in line again to cash it in.

All mine go in the county recycle bin now.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
I agree--generally not worth it, unless you go through a lot of plastic or aluminum, smash 'em up real good, and have a place to store them for a while.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I've stood in line for over 30 minutes, in what smells like the debris of last night's beer party with three or four bags of water bottles to get my receipt for $3.50. Then you go into the store and stand in line again to cash it in.
Well, and considering most people who are operating the recycle centers look like homeless bums....I know then recycle stop at Safeway on Alhambra & the one out on Fair Oaks Blvd is definitely run by bums.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Well, and considering most people who are operating the recycle centers look like homeless bums....I know then recycle stop at Safeway on Alhambra & the one out on Fair Oaks Blvd is definitely run by bums.
This actually works--a whole industry by and for the homeless. They get work, metal and glass and plastic get recycled. Win-Win.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
This actually works--a whole industry by and for the homeless. They get work, metal and glass and plastic get recycled. Win-Win.
No joke. And those people work hard for not much money. I wish there was a way to incentivize all sorts of good behavior. Pick up some trash, get a nickel. Clean some graffiti, get a buck. Crap in a toilet and not the American River Parkway, get a quarter. Etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
No joke. And those people work hard for not much money. I wish there was a way to incentivize all sorts of good behavior. Pick up some trash, get a nickel. Clean some graffiti, get a buck. Crap in a toilet and not the American River Parkway, get a quarter. Etc.
The problem is the Beverage industry doesn't want these bottle laws in place since it costs them a good deal of money. Of course lots of people love it. Reduces pollution, littering, makes the material cost lower since it is cheaper to recycle the stuff then produce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento