Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,985 times

Advertisements

I am an employee and ex student of the school. The school itself is great and I 100% recommend going there, but providence is not a safe city. It is mostly college students and the criminals in the area are VERY aware of this. Tell your daughter to just be safe. A lot of people in this city are victimized because they make themselves an easy target. I live in east providence and commute (10 min by car, 25 by bus) everyday. It is very safe and affordable in the east providence / riverside area. If you are looking for off campus housing without hassle, I recommend the winchester park apartments. i have been there since i was in college and stayed 3 years after my graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrose32 View Post
I am an employee and ex student of the school. The school itself is great and I 100% recommend going there, but providence is not a safe city. It is mostly college students and the criminals in the area are VERY aware of this. Tell your daughter to just be safe. A lot of people in this city are victimized because they make themselves an easy target. I live in east providence and commute (10 min by car, 25 by bus) everyday. It is very safe and affordable in the east providence / riverside area. If you are looking for off campus housing without hassle, I recommend the winchester park apartments. i have been there since i was in college and stayed 3 years after my graduation.
Whoa! Providence is actually a very safe city. There are parts that are more prone to crime than others, but, in general, its a safe city. Naive college students make an easy target for crime. They walk around alone with expensive electronic stuff out in the open. They leave things like GPS's and laptop bags visible in their cars. They walk alone at night on dark streets. They're victims waiting to happen. Street smarts don't necessarily come naturally, but if you're smart, you avoid crime. I've been living in Providence for 6+ years and I've only experienced one crime. My upstairs neighbor's car had its back window smashed in. And I'll be honest, I think it was a drunk JWU student who did it (at the time, I lived on Federal Hill surrounded by JWU students who did nothing but party all weekend). Nothing was stolen from the car, just seemed like a random act. Aside from that, I haven't seen any other crimes or been a victim myself (though I am a relatively large guy).

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 13,234 times
Well after all the craziness my daughter was able to get into The Cove...she is happy because all of her friends are there. Any thoughts on this area? I know its a short walk to the Mall, train station etc.....Anybody know anything about this area? Is it basically safe? Thanks for everyone's comments---much appreciated......Maureen

Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM

9,284 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I believe that is the new building that was built as condos and then leased to J&W when the condos went unsold. It's very nice (probably over the top as a dorm!) and is a good area.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,213 times
I'm thinking about attending JWU. What are some safe, quiet neighborhoods should I look at? I disliked dorm living at my former school, I just want a place where I can study without drunk people waking me up at 2am when I have class at 8. Also I'm an only child so my parents are rather overprotective.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smm711 View Post
I'm thinking about attending JWU. What are some safe, quiet neighborhoods should I look at? I disliked dorm living at my former school, I just want a place where I can study without drunk people waking me up at 2am when I have class at 8. Also I'm an only child so my parents are rather overprotective.
It really depends on how far from campus you wanna be. Federal Hill is safe and parts of it are quiet. I have a good friend who lives on Federal St near the end by Knight St and a lot of the triple deckers on her block are owner-occupied, which means less crime and people tend to care more about the neighborhood. It also means there is less partying in the area (though there are parties). Elmhurst is a quiet neighborhood as long as you stay away from the off campus housing area for PC. It's also very safe. But it's more difficult to get from Elmhurst to downtown without a car. Living off of Chalkstone isn't a bad area (I own my home there). Stay on the north side and it's safe and quiet. I've never been woken up to noise other than around July 4th (but that happens everywhere in the city). Lots of folks will say the East Side. And, honestly, it might be worth looking into. It's more expensive, but is serviced more frequently by buses than Elmhurst. It depends on where you are there for how quiet and safe it is. That's where a lot of Brown and RISD students live, but it's also where a lot of professors from all the colleges live.

If you see my comment above, it's true that the neighborhoods with a high density of college students tend to see more crime. That's primarily due to the college students either doing stupid things while they're drunk or being naive and not using common sense with regards to their cars or walking around at night.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM

76 posts, read 96,415 times
Maneen

I am a JWU student, though i live off campus.
regarding Renni, the building is located at Federal Hill so that is really good for anyone who likes going out, also she is still a short walk away from downtown and the mall. she'll be about 15-20 minutes walk (max) from the downcity campus. the question is: what is her major? if she is in the culinary major and doesn't have a car it may be much better to find her an apartment or room near the harborside campus (which is where i live). the closer the apartments are to the campus and to the cranston part of the area the safer it is.
2) if she is a culinary major, or doesn't mind taking the #3 ripta(which has stops at the downcity campus) my friend who rents an apartment next to harborside is looking for a new roommate, the price is about 380$ish and i think it includes utilities. it is a nice and spacious apartment, three bedrooms, kitchen and all of that. if she doesn't mind living with a guy (a very clean and responsible guy!) i'll be happy to send you his contact information. it will be much cheaper than Renni and she gets her own room :-)

Edit: ohh never mind just saw your other message. actually i am a bit surprised she got in The Cove, as it is supposed to be only open for Sophomore and above, she got majorly lucky there.
if you look in the JWU website you'll see The Cove is an apartment type of housing, she will have roommates but i don't think they share rooms at least not in all the apartments. like someone said it is not a bad area.
and i do believe JWU has bought the building a couple of years ago.

any way my offer still stands if you want my friend contact info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneen1960 View Post
Thanks so much for your replies!...Well, after alot of fuss, she was able to get into Renaissance-- and I'm not sure if that is in a good area---she is not happy...I told her to give it a try for now. If all goes well she will be looking for an apartment next year around the Federal Hill area...if all doesnt go well she well have to look for alternate housing. I have heard Federal Hill houses alot of JWU students...good to know..Thanks Jim & MessengerMan because I have heard there were safe streets for housing and not so safe areas in Federal Hill...Thanks Maryann for your input also...great to know! I will look into that-- I saw alot of apts posted but with not being familiar with the area I wasnt sure on safety location. Ideally I would love to see her in housing where it is owner occupied--within JWU busing. She would not want housing where there were alot of loud parties going on in the building--but any options would be welcome at this point....I thank you all so much for your comments...Very much appreciated! Maureen

Last edited by gejufan; 08-04-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island