Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 12:06 PM

12,954 posts, read 22,128,891 times

Advertisements

PBN (so there's a paywall): https://pbn.com/30-story-apartment-t...ton-providence

There is always the matter of getting the numbers to work and securing funding for a project like this. And anything tall will bring people out of the woodwork to fight it. But unlike the Fane proposal, this seems to be more realistic. The developer has ties to The Procaccianti Group (The "TPG" in the tower name seems to be The Procaccianti Group) which has successfully completed numerous large projects in the city. And while it's tall, it's still shorter than the Superman Building and is in-line with other tall buildings in the area. It's replacing a parking deck (though still adding 248 parking spots), and its neighbors are I-95 ramps, the Hilton, the AMP, and a surface parking lot. So I'd be surprised if this generated opposition that was similarly as fierce as the Fane proposal.

Personally, I'm not blown away by the initial design (though it will inevitably change throughout the process), but I think 216 additional residential units downtown would be a win for the city. The location is ideal for this scale of development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 12:27 PM

17,918 posts, read 9,341,081 times
So, here?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FWk8GkpLXnJu3n6XA

If so, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:01 PM

9,339 posts, read 14,961,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
PBN (so there's a paywall): https://pbn.com/30-story-apartment-t...ton-providence

There is always the matter of getting the numbers to work and securing funding for a project like this. And anything tall will bring people out of the woodwork to fight it. But unlike the Fane proposal, this seems to be more realistic. The developer has ties to The Procaccianti Group (The "TPG" in the tower name seems to be The Procaccianti Group) which has successfully completed numerous large projects in the city. And while it's tall, it's still shorter than the Superman Building and is in-line with other tall buildings in the area. It's replacing a parking deck (though still adding 248 parking spots), and its neighbors are I-95 ramps, the Hilton, the AMP, and a surface parking lot. So I'd be surprised if this generated opposition that was similarly as fierce as the Fane proposal.

Personally, I'm not blown away by the initial design (though it will inevitably change throughout the process), but I think 216 additional residential units downtown would be a win for the city. The location is ideal for this scale of development.
I wouldn't have an aesthetic problem with it.

However, it's right on top of I95!!!! You couldn't pay me to live there. But I'm sure J&W students and similar would rent there temporarily.

Old 05-13-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

However, it's right on top of I95!!!! You couldn't pay me to live there. But I'm sure J&W students and similar would rent there temporarily.
It looks like it directly abuts the I-95N ramp from Atwells Ave. and I wouldn't want that either. But the location is otherwise pretty solid. Near-direct access to I-95, easy walk to Federal Hill, the rest of downtown, JWU, Jewelry District, etc.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It looks like it directly abuts the I-95N ramp from Atwells Ave. and I wouldn't want that either. But the location is otherwise pretty solid. Near-direct access to I-95, easy walk to Federal Hill, the rest of downtown, JWU, Jewelry District, etc.
I imagine, depending on what the rents would be, they'd be hoping to get commuters who would walk over to the train station?

Old 05-13-2024, 04:03 PM

4,450 posts, read 3,228,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

However, it's right on top of I95!!!! You couldn't pay me to live there.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure how they even squeeze in a tower there and I haven't seen the rendering, but it doesn't seem attractive to me. Bordering the highway, surrounded by concrete, having thousands of nightly visitors at the AMP next door - wouldn't feel homey or welcoming to me.

I was driving around downtown and the east side this weekend and it blows my mind how many large scale apartment buildings or condos have popped up so quickly. The Point St/So Water street area would be unrecognizable to someone who lived in Providence five to 10 years ago

Old 05-13-2024, 04:11 PM

17,918 posts, read 9,341,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I haven't seen the rendering
https://assets.pbn.com/2024/05/21Atwellsrendering.png

Old 05-13-2024, 09:17 PM

4,450 posts, read 3,228,215 times
^Ah well, we know that picture is fantasy - no highway construction in the picture!

Shorter than the Fleet Building though? That has 26 floors. One Financial plaza has 30 and is shorter so I guess that's possible

Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

Quote:
^Ah well, we know that picture is fantasy - no highway construction in the picture!

Shorter than the Fleet Building though? That has 26 floors. One Financial plaza has 30 and is shorter so I guess that's possible
That design will change probably several times as they go through the permitting process. They always do. But I was laughing at the way 95 was rendered too. It almost looked nice. Almost.

A residential storey is usually shorter than a commercial storey. Sometimes by 5 or more feet. So a 30 storey residential tower is almost always shorter than a 30 storey office building. Sometimes significantly so.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure how they even squeeze in a tower there and I haven't seen the rendering, but it doesn't seem attractive to me. Bordering the highway, surrounded by concrete, having thousands of nightly visitors at the AMP next door - wouldn't feel homey or welcoming to me.

I was driving around downtown and the east side this weekend and it blows my mind how many large scale apartment buildings or condos have popped up so quickly. The Point St/So Water street area would be unrecognizable to someone who lived in Providence five to 10 years ago
Wait til the I195 land gets fully developed. It won't look like the city you knew at all.

But that's considered "progress" and anyone who demurs is a NIMBY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: