Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 11:32 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,844 times

Advertisements

Hi, if I retire at 59 and stop contributing towards Soc. Sec. (given that I have no income), how will that affect my Soc. Sec. benefit? If I start collecting at 62? I have been working for 35 years by now, contributing to Soc. Sec. this entire time. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 11:38 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Hi, if I retire at 59 and stop contributing towards Soc. Sec. (given that I have no income), how will that affect my Soc. Sec. benefit? If I start collecting at 62? I have been working for 35 years by now, contributing to Soc. Sec. this entire time. Thank you.
Interesting question and I look forward to the replies. The benefit estimates always assume you will continue to work and contribute until the ages you see the estimates. I'm not sure how you can calculate the reduction

Old 04-02-2024, 11:53 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
The SSA uses your 35 highest-paid years in calculating benefits. There are adjustments for inflation, so (for example) earning $50k ten years ago is a considered a higher-paid year than earning $50k this year.

If you have some years in your past that were lower-earning years, say you worked part time or for only part of the year, you could potentially replace those with higher-earning years by working longer. But the impact of replacing one or two "low" years with "high" years will not be dramatic.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:10 PM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
The SSA uses your 35 highest-paid years in calculating benefits. There are adjustments for inflation, so (for example) earning $50k ten years ago is a considered a higher-paid year than earning $50k this year.

If you have some years in your past that were lower-earning years, say you worked part time or for only part of the year, you could potentially replace those with higher-earning years by working longer. But the impact of replacing one or two "low" years with "high" years will not be dramatic.
While all this is true how can the OP get an idea of his benefits if he stops working at 59? The SS estimates for say drawing at 62 assumes he will continue to work and contribute until he is 62.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:19 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,209,296 times
Open an account on the SSA website
Once you input all information you will see the exact numbers. I had the same concern when I retired at 50 seven years ago. The graph they show, I think if you play around with it, can be set to assume zero income going forward.
Congratulations. You will now know what true freedom feels like.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While all this is true how can the OP get an idea of his benefits if he stops working at 59? The SS estimates for say drawing at 62 assumes he will continue to work and contribute until he is 62.
There are a few different calculators on the SSA website:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...on-factor.html

Unless a person is within a year of quitting work they will probably need to use the "Detailed Calculator". If you're close to your quitting year the "Online Calculator" may suffice.

Also, there are probably some calculators sold by private companies that can do this analysis, but I haven't used any of them myself.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Open an account on the SSA website
Once you input all information you will see the exact numbers. I had the same concern when I retired at 50 seven years ago. The graph they show, I think if you play around with it, can be set to assume zero income going forward.
Congratulations. You will now know what true freedom feels like.
Yes. I did this just two or three nights ago. You can change the estimated annual income box. I retired from my full-time job last summer just before my 52nd birthday. I'm now collecting pensions and working part-time, so a little different from the OP since I still have that part-time income. Regardless, I wanted to see how the estimate changed if I made what I make now each year over the next 10 years or so.

The change in the estimate was minimal.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Yep. All of the advice above is spot on. Just go to the SSA website and use one of their online calculators.

It used to be not so easy. The online calculators were much more limiting in their scope. You used to have to download the AnyPIA calculator from the SSA website, manually fill it in with your yearly earnings from the last 30-40 years, and then run it yourself.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:57 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,844 times
Thank you all very much, I will use the SSA calculator.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:21 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The SS website has tools for this. The answer is that it won't affect it nearly as much as you think it will if you have 35 years of paid work. I did the math on the SS calculator before I retired at 51 and it didn't change my decision at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement