Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 07:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 15,771,746 times

Advertisements

Dr. Bob Ross at 75 seems like the classic old-time doctor.

And this advice cracked me up.

Dr. Bob, 75, Knows the Human Realities of Aging on the Job

“What shouldn’t I eat?”
“Carbs. Sugar. If it tastes good, spit it out,” he said.

Bob had considered retiring at least a half-dozen times in the past decade, but he always chose to scale back instead. He stopped performing surgeries, taking call shifts, working in the emergency room and serving as county coroner. But he never wanted to quit seeing his patients, and sometimes he wondered if that was because of how much they needed him, or how much he needed them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...-and-trump-do/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 10:45 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,278,382 times
Smile Very true

My husband is a CPA and I'm encouraging him now to just enjoy his clients when they visit his office.
Listen to them and their stories.

I think we all need human interaction and especially as we get older.

I can see him still doing the job at 75. When I suggest he start going through some old stuff at the office, he gets defensive. I leave it alone.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,761 posts, read 81,689,431 times
I'm finally retiring in 2 months just before I turn 72, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I have far too many hobbies and potential projects that I can't get to while spending 8 hours a day 5 days a week working, and while I only go into the office 2 days a week, I hate the commute into Seattle. On the other hand, I love the pay and benefits, the challenges of the work that I do, and will really miss the 5 people that report to me. Unlike a doctor my work has no physical effort involved, I could probably do it until I drop, but once I made up my mind that the time has come, I'm sticking to it. My boss has already asked if I would be willing to come back as a part-time consultant and I said it depends on whether it could be fully remote and how much it would pay.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:12 AM

926 posts, read 678,235 times
I am still working as an online tutor. I am 68. Tomorrow I have an interview with the company for a different position. I would be reviewing candidates for a new cohort. I am fine if I don't get it but it would be a fun challenge too.
I hope to work 2-3 more years.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:03 AM

7,300 posts, read 4,675,397 times
I retired at 58 and 7 months later was asked to teach a college class hence my username. It was so much fun. Now I’m back to part time consulting in my career field and I am 70 soon. For me being able to work a little and set my own schedule is great.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:51 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
I was asked to work on a pretty exciting major infrastructure project. Procurement, contract management work, etc. Good money. Took it even though I wasn't really seeking full-time because my life went sideways, I don't know what else to do, and I've got a homeless brother in my house that I can't stand being there. Might as well work and make some money for a while.

I like the job itself. The parts I DON'T like are age-related. I always worked in normal offices, at the very least a cubicle, but long ago graduated to a real office, you know, with a door and a window. But cubes are doable.

But no. At this job, which thankfully is hybrid, I go to an office in my own state and work in a cubicle 2 days but the third office day I have to go into NYC, not horrible, did it for decades, but it adds 30 minutes to the hour-long commute each way. The worst parts of that are that the NY office is the new-fangled kindergarten setup with everyone sitting shoulder to shoulder along long tabIes, no assigned spot, where we plop a laptop that we have to schlep from home and attend meetings wearing headphones. I feel as if I am in a 1980s late-night-buy-this-CD-set commercial. And my shoulder and back sometimes hurt from carrying the laptop. Never worked before at a place that didn't supply a computer. Or a reliable place to sit. But that's only one day a week.

As I strive to make myself indispensible, I plan to start arranging more remote time.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:59 AM

6,132 posts, read 3,841,148 times
At age 51, I went from a 5-day (40-hour) work week to a 3-day (24-hour) work week.

Then, at age 53, I retired completely because I didn't have enough time to do all the things I wanted to do like playing golf, dog training, clay target shooting, and other activities while still working 3 days per week.

Old 05-22-2024, 12:18 PM

388 posts, read 404,261 times
I retired at 57 and will be 70 this year. I've been so busy with hobbies, RV travel and home projects that I'm starting to think I made a mistake by not retiring earlier.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:58 PM

12,907 posts, read 9,168,707 times
Retirement has allowed me the time to work on the things I want to work on rather than having to work for money. I can work the hours I want to work, doing the things I want to do and do something else when I get tired of doing that. That's the beauty of volunteer work. They can't hold the threat of being fired over your head and they need you more than you need them. Spend my time working on STEM education projects and youth programs.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:40 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,439,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband is a CPA and I'm encouraging him now to just enjoy his clients when they visit his office.
Listen to them and their stories.

I think we all need human interaction and especially as we get older.

I can see him still doing the job at 75. When I suggest he start going through some old stuff at the office, he gets defensive. I leave it alone.
My current and former employers (both CPA firms) retire their partners at ages 65 and 62. CPAs can stay on after that as a manager, but hardly any of them do. One of the partners at the previous firm said that the partners' compensation goes up while their billings go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement