Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2024, 12:54 PM

517 posts, read 556,867 times

Advertisements

I decided to start at 62 with Jan being the earliest I could apply. Applied online and have approval today. I don't have the letter but it says approved online. I did get an online account around last September and that took about a month. Glad I did so I could check the status.

I wasn't worried if I would be approved but I heard it takes months. Plus all the stories of problems here. I was worried about a Gov shutdown interfering in the sign up process so I am happy it has been approved before that can happen. It does look like they have a deal and there wont be a shutdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 02:51 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,314,812 times
I have not been keeping up and did not know there was a possible government shutdown.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:44 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,361,281 times
Congratulations!

With your online account you can have paperless statements. So you won't be getting a letter in the mail. But you always will be able to get a copy online.

Next up may be a benefit letter stating how much you will get when.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Congratulations!

With your online account you can have paperless statements. So you won't be getting a letter in the mail. But you always will be able to get a copy online.

I already see that info online, date and amount. But I do believe they still send a letter or at least a pdf to my messages online.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have not been keeping up and did not know there was a possible government shutdown.

There is a continuing resolution funding the government until mid January for part and a final hard deadline of Feb19ish. But it looks like they have an agreement for a new 1 year of funding.

I was paying close attention because I knew I planned to apply in Jan. Even though payments don't stop a shutdown could affect new applications because workers would be furloughed.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:02 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,825,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Congratulations!

Save the benefit letter. You will get a new one after each COLA, it's handy to have if you need to get a loan or mortgage. The lender will want to see proof of income and the benefit letter is your proof.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:58 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Generally speaking, shutdowns don't impact Social Security payments or staffing.

This is from a few months ago:
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...own-rcna117359

It explains why Social Security isn't an impacted program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement