Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 06:47 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking inflation for those on fixed income is also playing a part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 06:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,941,713 times
Our latest trip to Cracker Barrel was a huge disappointment. Our food was late to the table and cold in the middle. Obviously only reheating previously baked entrees. It had been years since our previous dining experience there, no reason to ever go back.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:41 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Restaurants, and even fast food joints, have jacked prices up ridiculously. I went to Arby's the other day and our order for 2 was $27! I used to eat at sit down places solo for lunch and it hardly ever came to over $10 for lunch. Restaurants are charging too much for what they are providing. Poor service, lack luster food, high prices, no wonder folks with limited funds are just eating at home.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:01 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Olive Garden: We go occasionaly, but they have gotten ridicuouly expensive for what you get. Just can't afford to go there much.

Cracker Barrel: We love going there, but here are the problems we see:
a. Menu change: They have cut several favorite items over the last few years that would appeal to seniors and replaced them with more "trendy" type items. Eggs Benedict on biscuits served with champagne mimosas from a can??? But they dropped small menu items like Corn Bread and Beef Stew.
b. Loud. As someone else mentioned. We've been going for year, but Cracker Barrel seems much louder now than in the past. Perhaps people knew to keep their voices down and speak normally back then but today people think everyone in the restaurant wants to hear them. Same acoustics but a different, noisier, crowd.
c. Service. Last few times we've been in service was slow. Much slower than before COVID. We've also noticed that there were long wait lines to get a table, but whole sections of the dining room would be closed. This is in several locations around the country. Probably related to how hard it is to get employees today.

Finally, and this really applies to most restaurants -- Value. Prices have gone up so the value in exchange for what you get isn't there. This really impacts our eating habits across the board. I've always heard price should be about triple the food cost. I've priced out the food cost to cook at home, even if I were paying Publix prices and you know the restaurant isn't paying near that. The price some restaurant is closer to ten times food cost. While I will happily pay for a high-quality meal, paying ten times food cost for a mass production reheated commissary kitchen meal doesn't fit.

So no, we don't eat out as much.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:10 AM

350 posts, read 197,310 times
A RANDOM article in an online RESTAURANT INDUSTY publication one week old is NOT "old news".

Cheesh dismissive much?

Old 09-23-2023, 09:12 AM

7,849 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Having lived in Italy I can't do Olive Garden.
Friends don't let friends go to Olive Garden.

Personally, I think Italy should sue Olive Garden demanding they stop claiming to be Italian food.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm thinking inflation for those on fixed income is also playing a part.
I agree. It is more than the actual inflation itself; I think it could be indignation at higher prices.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:16 AM

768 posts, read 860,378 times
Easier, cheaper and better for you to just eat at home. Not that much trouble to make something tasty for yourselves. The value vs cost in going to a restaurant just isn't there.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Restaurants, and even fast food joints, have jacked prices up ridiculously. I went to Arby's the other day and our order for 2 was $27! I used to eat at sit down places solo for lunch and it hardly ever came to over $10 for lunch. Restaurants are charging too much for what they are providing. Poor service, lack luster food, high prices, no wonder folks with limited funds are just eating at home.
I agree. It isn't the money; it is the principle of the matter. Arby's for two for $27 is out of line.

At the same time, I've read more detailed analyses of costs-of-ingredients for fast casual and junk food restaurants has gone through the roof since the pandemic. Add to that increased transportation costs driven by increased diesel fuel for heavy trucks and of course compensation for employees, and it adds up to Arby's for two for $27.

Frankly, I think the world would be a better place if such restaurants closed for good.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Olive Garden: We go occasionaly, but they have gotten ridicuouly expensive for what you get. Just can't afford to go there much.

Cracker Barrel: We love going there, but here are the problems we see:
a. Menu change: They have cut several favorite items over the last few years that would appeal to seniors and replaced them with more "trendy" type items. Eggs Benedict on biscuits served with champagne mimosas from a can??? But they dropped small menu items like Corn Bread and Beef Stew.
b. Loud. As someone else mentioned. We've been going for year, but Cracker Barrel seems much louder now than in the past. Perhaps people knew to keep their voices down and speak normally back then but today people think everyone in the restaurant wants to hear them. Same acoustics but a different, noisier, crowd.
c. Service. Last few times we've been in service was slow. Much slower than before COVID. We've also noticed that there were long wait lines to get a table, but whole sections of the dining room would be closed. This is in several locations around the country. Probably related to how hard it is to get employees today.

Finally, and this really applies to most restaurants -- Value. Prices have gone up so the value in exchange for what you get isn't there. This really impacts our eating habits across the board. I've always heard price should be about triple the food cost. I've priced out the food cost to cook at home, even if I were paying Publix prices and you know the restaurant isn't paying near that. The price some restaurant is closer to ten times food cost. While I will happily pay for a high-quality meal, paying ten times food cost for a mass production reheated commissary kitchen meal doesn't fit.

So no, we don't eat out as much.
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement