Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 03:45 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm crazy, but we moved away from a busy city (close suburb) to a rural area and live on a lake. I didnt see this coming but I miss being around people, its just too quiet. Wondering if I just need to slow down or if country life just isnt for me. Anyone else experience this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 06:49 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Why not just drive into the city once every couple weeks and get your fill of traffic, rudeness, and crime? Maybe an overnight in a hotel and a visit to your favorite urban whatevers once a month or something.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:07 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
rural life is not for everyone. If it's not for you, move to a city. Not necessarily the one you moved from but there's a lot of cities out there. If/when that gets too much, rent a cabin some place until the quiet drives you nuts again.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:13 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but we moved away from a busy city (close suburb) to a rural area and live on a lake. I didnt see this coming but I miss being around people, its just too quiet. Wondering if I just need to slow down or if country life just isnt for me. Anyone else experience this ?

Any place you go after living in or near NYC will seem slow and dull. You can: (1) get used to it; (2) stay at the lake and try to remember when life was interesting; or (3) move.

I feel your pain. I'm now in Florida after having lived in the greater NYC area.

I would trade snow in Central Park for the unrelenting heat and humidity that is Florida. But, I can't, for family reasons.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:15 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
stI agree with Shadows comments, go to the city closest to you once a month or so. We left the San Francisco Bay area & moved to a quiet town, I love it & hate the congestion & noise when we go back for a day. But we also have plenty of things to do here, including live theater shows, concerts & movies etc.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:25 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times
I just wonder is it an adjustment period, will I eventually get used too it. I dont want to pack up and move too quickly but the lack of people/convenience is a bit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Any place you go after living in or near NYC will seem slow and dull. You can: (1) get used to it; (2) stay at the lake and try to remember when life was interesting; or (3) move.

I feel your pain. I'm now in Florida after having lived in the greater NYC area.

I would trade snow in Central Park for the unrelenting heat and humidity that is Florida. But, I can't, for family reasons.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:47 AM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
My husband and I both when we were young adults always lived in cities. In our late 40s we moved to a small town in a rural area for a work opportunity he had. We stayed there for 20 years and it was a really wonderful little town with a lot of interesting people and a lot of cultural activity, theater, arts, music. Kind of a perfect place. In our 60s though my husband wanted to partially retire, or at least leave the place he'd been working for 20 years, and we also wanted to live closer to our adult kids. As nice as our little town was, I was pretty much done (for now at least) with living in a small town, of being too far away from interesting cities and the buzz of urban culture. So we moved away from the country and into a city again in our 60s. It's a better fit for me right now than country or suburb. It feels more awake.

There is a surge, by the way, of retirees moving into city centers. For the cultural life, the sociability, the walkability, the convenience of smaller homes with little or no yard to maintain, for the city services. You would not be alone in heading back into town. And in the reverse manner, as others have suggested that you can just go in to visit the city periodically, alternately you can live the city and periodically head out to rivers, trails, lakes, woods for a peaceful getaway.

Last edited by Jessie Mitchell; 10-24-2022 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-24-2022, 08:04 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
It might not be for you, and only you can be honest with yourself about that.

I lived in the NYC metro area in NJ all my life, working in the city itself for 40 years. But when I was a child, my small NJ town was still semi-rural (now it is all built up and suburban) and we had trees and woods, etc. My dad taught me to identify different trees and birds in our backyard and in the woods behind us.

Late in life, I met someone who lives in a VERY rural area (you can hear wolves howling at night in winter) and I moved into his world. It was like a return to my childhood (although we didn't have the wolves in NJ, lol) and a chance to again take the time to just stand in the woods and listen to the birds and observe nature. I loved it. I have never felt so at home and connected to a place as I do there.

However, before me, my bf had another partner whom he'd gotten along fine with when they didn't live together and were in the suburbs of their nearby large city. She had always been a city girl and very social, and while she went along with his dream of living on a rural lake, once they got there she hated it, and the relationship deteriorated as a result. In less than two years, she packed up and left for another city. He said, "I don't think she understood what living in the boonies would really mean."

So that woman tried it and found it wasn't really for her. The case may be the same for you. Only you can decide. Life's too short to be miserable living somewhere you don't want to be.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I lived in a a small town which grew. Then moved to Iowa, small 10K town, then to a very rural place that the neighbor was 1/4 mile away.

I actually enjoyed it as I had my dogs to romp around with. I had a job and even though I worked an average 48 hours a week, I (bleep)ing was enjoying myself.

For nine months, I was at peace with the world. It's for some, not for others

Old 10-24-2022, 09:22 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
rural life is not for everyone. If it's not for you, move to a city. Not necessarily the one you moved from but there's a lot of cities out there. If/when that gets too much, rent a cabin some place until the quiet drives you nuts again.
How true.

At Texas Renaissance Festival, they started a nightclub a number of years back called TRF after dark. As one of the photographers, I have been encouraged to go to it and get some great shots but I can't for night life just draws the energy out of me. I want to find a dark corner and go to sleep.

On the same note, they say that if you are the kind who needs the night life, to go out to places, then you are not only going to hate rural life but in 6 months, you will want to move.

To each their own. Maybe it is just me, maybe it is a quarter of a century being a Vampirelle (night shift worker) but living in the city, I would draw my shades and live in a bunker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement