Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 AM

131 posts, read 97,203 times

Advertisements

Just got laid off today, upon returning from a week's vacation, by my Fortune top 10 employer. Been with them since May of 2003, except for a 10 month gap in '16-'17 when I was also laid off by them. Felt fortunate to get rehired in Feb 2017, since I was 61...and they matched my former salary.

Soon to be 64 and my plan was to retire sometime between April 1 and August 31 of next year. I don't get the sweet severance as in '16 but I do get a couple months. Severance, plus six months unemployment, am thinking I can string this out nicely and ride off into the sunset almost as planned.

Frankly, I will be happy to give corporate America the finger. I am set this time (no pension, but me and the spouse have really good ss benefits and solid 401Ks). But that was not the case when laid off by other employers in '82, '97, and '03. The whole layoff thing gets tiresome. I feel for the younger generations who have to deal with the same garbage. It's hard to be loyal to an employer when they will dump you in a heartbeat just to meet some exec's budget, likely due to their own mismanagement.

Any other soon-to-be retirees encounter similar BS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 04:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Soon to be 64 and my plan was to retire sometime between April 1 and August 31 of next year.
Just got laid off today, upon returning from a week's vacation, by my Fortune top 10 employer.
By one particular person within that particular office of that F10 company.

Quote:
I feel for the younger generations who have to deal with the same garbage.
It's hard to be loyal to an employer when they will dump you in a heartbeat
just to meet some exec's budget, likely due to their own mismanagement.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
Let's see:
AZ might equal Arizona work location
Purdue might equal Engineer
Multiple Lay-offs by Fortune Top 10 Company over past 3 decades might equal......

Do you work at the Yuma Proving Grounds?

If so, I am glad to hear you are financially set for retirement, as our former common employer sure doesn't care about us,

Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
There are a lot of Pro's and Cons of being successfully self employed.
Being laid off by a crappy boss ranks low.

I got laid off of my first Defense Contractor job out of college and also watched my father do the same several times over his lifetime. I decided then I did not want to play the corporate game never knowing if you'd have a job year to year. Especially in the Defense Contracting business.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Quote:
...... It's hard to be loyal to an employer when they will dump you in a heartbeat just to meet some exec's budget, likely due to their own mismanagement......
I never had that happen, but I did have a string of disappointments:
1. Company lost a Federal contract and some workers were offered employment by the new contractor. I left before this happened.
2. Financial issues and cutbacks. I left due to the uncertainty.
3. Hired and transferred to a new location after 18 months.
4. Company went through a merger and location above was phased out.
5. Fired so a new manager could bring in a favorite employee.
6. Company went through a merger and location was closed.
7. Last employer: I worked and retired without an issues except employer has very small wage increases for senior workers.

All of these changes meant lots of physical moves: Cleveland to Little Rock to Kansas City, to Los Angeles to Chicago to Phoenix to Long Island (3 different locations, stayed in same house but commute was longer each time).

I always worked hard and gave my best. If I had it to do over again I would have spent more time on myself and less on the jobs.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
First of all, I have to bring up a pet peeve of mine. I'm old enough to remember when "layoffs" at the steel mill where Dad worked meant, "There's not enough work for you right now but we'll call you back when there is". I know the OP mentioned being let go and re-hired but that's a different process- no guarantee that they'll select you. When the message is, "Go home and don't come back", that's NOT a layoff. It's a firing.

Anyway- OP, it sounds like life has thrown you a curve ball but you're prepared. I'd planned to retire at 65 but got sick of the toxic politics and left at age 61. That was 2014. I know I've been blessed by a good market in those years, but when I look back at what I would have accumulated over the 4 years till I hit 65, I don't think it would have changed how I live now. Life is good.

Enjoy the next phase of your life!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 AM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Sounds to me like you're in a good spot to hang it up. I'd step away at this point.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:19 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Frankly, I will be happy to give corporate America the finger. I am set this time (no pension, but me and the spouse have really good ss benefits and solid 401Ks). But that was not the case when laid off by other employers in '82, '97, and '03. The whole layoff thing gets tiresome. I feel for the younger generations who have to deal with the same garbage. It's hard to be loyal to an employer when they will dump you in a heartbeat just to meet some exec's budget, likely due to their own mismanagement.
Why be loyal to an employer in the first place? I assure you the "younger generations" are not. In Silicon Valley they change jobs at the drop of a hat. The abundance of restless talent is why so many tech firms locate there.

I was only laid off once and my manager had tears in his eyes while doing it. I ended up comforting him. After all, the company had been bought by a larger, even more soulless behemoth and anyone who didn't have their head in the clouds could see layoffs were coming.

Anyway, you two seem all set. $900k goes a lot farther in PHX than it would in coastal California. I think you'll be fine.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 AM

399 posts, read 700,481 times
Never was laid off and never worried about it. My professions were layoff-proof.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
Sometimes I wonder. Are we loyal to our employers or just to lazy to look around and get a better job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement