Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,640,149 times

Advertisements

The thread about Armageddon and it's references to the rapture got me thinking about what those who believe it's really going to happen and how it would take place. I've seen the bumper stickers on cars alerting me that this particular vehicle could suddenly be missing a driver and veer out of control. It appears to me that the common belief is that the physical bodies of those who are rapture bound are suddenly going to fly up into the sky. From a purely practical and common sense perspective how could a human body go flying through the roof of a moving automobile, from inside an office building, or any other enclosed space without being ripped to pieces when it strikes metal, concrete or whatever material happens to be in the way? And if they miraculously passed through steel or concrete without a scratch where in the world are they actually headed? Are they going to outer space or just to some higher altitude where they'll be organized into one large group from all over the planet?
Surely anyone should be able to recognize why someone like myself could be extremely skeptical about such an event ever taking place. Anyway, I'm just wondering what those who believe in the rapture think is going to take place and how a frail human body could survive such an experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,044,829 times
Nothing about the rapture is going to be practical.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
I just hope I don't get run into by a pilotless car if it ever happens...I'm really not at all worried.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,013,927 times
Jesus [in the minds of some] is the ultimate magician.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
I would think it would be the sudden removal of the spirit from the body, just for practical reasons. It seems that the "soul" would be made of pure energy. Seeing as energy, or light, is the only thing that can travel at the speed of light, then that is what must happen. As anything with mass nears the speed of light, it will expand to fill the entire Universe.

The idea of the "rapture" is wrong anyway. The whole book of revelations was written by a hermit, living in a cave, doing mushrooms. It was a halucination, nothing more. The reason that the Nicean council decided to put it in their biblical canon, was because they needed an ending. They also needed something to keep people in line.

In all actuality, the "beast" and the "anti-Christ" were Roman figures, probably Nero.

Of course Christians don't want to believe that, at least some of them. Most realize that revelations was just a fairy tell mind trip written down a long time ago.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM

416 posts, read 631,338 times
We're talking about God here, magic, anything can happen. So let's make up some possibilities for the kicks.

1. God could freeze time and send His angels down to gather His flock. When an angel touches the raptured they "wake up", get out of their vehicles or are lead out of buildings despite the massive forces against a body moving with a wall of air that can't be displaced because it is frozen in time, oh but of course it can because this is "magic". Then the angels fly them to God. Or maybe God just teleports them all to Him causing all kinds of sonic booms around the world from the inrushing air filling their space.

2. God turns the raptured into superheroes, like X-Men's Shadowcat, with the ability to pass through solid matter by altering the vibratory rates of their atoms or some such and also gifts them with the ability to fly, like way faster than light. Or maybe He gives them teleporting abilities...

3. God causes them to shift into another dimension through space time rifts, right into Heaven.

4. ....

Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,406,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about Armageddon and it's references to the rapture got me thinking about what those who believe it's really going to happen and how it would take place. I've seen the bumper stickers on cars alerting me that this particular vehicle could suddenly be missing a driver and veer out of control.
Cars with those bumper stickers are the safest ones to be behind in the event of the Rapture. The drivers are committing the sin of pride, presuming to know that God is going to whisk them to heaven, so I exprect he'll leave them in their vehicles.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
Oh man, I SO want to make a smart ass comment here... But what else can be said?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,585,591 times
Well hopefully the Lord will whisk my soul up to Heaven leaving my decrepit body and fake leg behind.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,926,055 times
God will use the same magic that allowed a T Rex to survive on a wooden boat built by a 900 year old Jew.

All I care about is all the free stuff that will be laying around for the taking once all of the christers disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality