Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,114,381 times

Advertisements

i have a recipe for three sisters stew it is really good .
2 Tblsps olive oil
2 c chicken broth
1 lrg onion , chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lrg carrot,cut into 1inch chunks
3/4 c cubed butternut squash
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 c frozen corn kernels
1 tsp sage , dried
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 c parsley fresh or 1 tblsp dried
In large stew pot , heat olive oil , add onion saute until golden , then add garlic,carrot ,squash, beans,corn, sage,salt. add broth unfil you are satisfied with the consistancy. Simmer until squash is tender , then add parsley and stir . Serve Hot .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,086 times
I love my crockpot! My trouble is, I can't find recipes that use real ingredients. Everything I seem to find has cans of condensed soup and other processed foods as ingredients. Seriously? What's the point of the crockpot? I can assemble those and cook them on the stove in less than 30 minutes! Why cook it all day?

One great use for crockpots is making steel cut oats or Irish oatmeal. They take a long time on the stove and many people don't have time in the morning to make it. Here's what I do: If you have a rice cooker, it came with a small, round wire rack (for whatever odd reason). Put that in your crockpot and put a heat proof cereal bowl on it. Add the oats, milk/water, sugar/honey, dried fruit, nuts or whatever you would put in it. Put the lid on and cook on low while you sleep. When you wake up, you have those great, healthy oats immediately and the ONLY dirty dish is the cereal bowl! No dirty pots and the crockpot stays clean!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM

890 posts, read 2,282,118 times
This is the most recent crock pot recipe I made, no processed soups or anything!

Simply Scratch » Crock Pot Balsamic Honey Pulled Pork Over Cornbread

I used boneless pork loin instead of the pork butt because I hate picking out bones. It was delicious, I am just now finishing up the rest of the meat.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 AM

107 posts, read 217,358 times
A great website for crock pot recipes!

365 Days of Slow Cooking

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,228,401 times
Default French onion soup

This is a CD recipe that I have been making for five years. Don't know what I like better about it- the delicious smell that fills the house or the soup itself! When is CD getting smell-i-vision?!

Thank you to Mainstreet for sharing so many years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I found her recipe and made a crock pot full. This is the easiest recipe and smells so good while it cooks all day long. I made a few changes, so I am not giving away her original recipe, but my family and neighbors loved it.

5 large onions- I used yellow and red- cut into various sizes from 1/4- 1/2 (chunks)
10 cups beef broth/stock- I used one container of stock, the rest broth
1/2 cup red wine
5T butter
2T flour
Salt - I used Kosher, but any will do, pepper
Toasted bread slices (french, sourdough, whole grain bagette- get sliced at store)
Sliced mozzarella or gruyere cheese

Saute onions in pan with butter for about 20 minutes
Add flour and cook 5 minutes more
Place in crock pot and add beef broth/stock. Cook all day in crock pot
Season to taste during last hour of cooking

While cooking, brush one side of bread with olive oil & a touch of garlic powder (not enough to over power the soup) and put in 300 degree oven, turning once, until well toasted and crunchy.

To serve-

Pour soup into bowls- I found onion soup bowls for a song at a thrift store- the rims of the bowls are just the right size for the cheese to drape across to top.

Let the soup cool to serving temp. Add toasted bread, top with slice of cheese and broil in oven until it begins to brown and get bubbly.

It's important to let the soup get to be serving temp before adding the toasted bread and cheese, otherwise, by the time the soup is cool enough to eat, the toast is soggy- or, like us, you can't wait and burn your mouth!

I chopped the left over bread up and made croutons while toasting the bread, which my kids ended up putting on top of the cheese before eating.

I didn't have any apple juice, but I think the red wine added a mellowness, as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,078,029 times
I am Italian, so making Sunday sauce is a requirement. A couple weeks ago I thought, I wonder how it would be in the crock pot? Oh My God. Better than on the stove.

Meat Sauce in CP

- 1/2 lb ground beef (I did NOT brown it first)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- couple cloves garlic, minced
- 1 big can san marzano crushed tomatoes (or any crushed tomatoes, but SM are the best flavor)
- couple small cans diced tomatoes
- minced fresh parsley, basil and oregano (or dried I supposed, I just like fresh better)
- 1/2 cup red wine (you can omit this if you want)

Mix all together and cook on low for 8 hours or so. I stirred after 5, but you don't need to.

YUMMMMMMM....I may never make sauce on the stovetop again.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,894,246 times
^^Is that greasy though, from the uncooked hamburger? I am always leary of making any recipe where the hamburger's grease isn't drained off first. And our hamburger is pretty lean too. Maybe I worry for nothing.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM

745 posts, read 1,506,142 times
I made this the other day and it was AMAZING> The beef made its own gravy, the kids and husband went bananas over it.

Mississippi Roast

1 chuck roast

1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix

1 packet Au Jus mix

1 stick butter

5 pepperoncini peppers

Add all ingredients into a slow cooker; cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred and serve with your favorite sides (mashed potatoes and/or rice are delicious!)

You can also make a roast chicken in there. The skin doesn't get crispy,but it was themost tender chicken I've ever had.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I made this the other day and it was AMAZING> The beef made its own gravy, the kids and husband went bananas over it.

Mississippi Roast

1 chuck roast

1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix

1 packet Au Jus mix

1 stick butter

5 pepperoncini peppers

Add all ingredients into a slow cooker; cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred and serve with your favorite sides (mashed potatoes and/or rice are delicious!)

You can also make a roast chicken in there. The skin doesn't get crispy,but it was themost tender chicken I've ever had.
No fluids needed at all? (aside from the butter, of course)

Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM

745 posts, read 1,506,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No fluids needed at all? (aside from the butter, of course)
No! I was surprised too, as I usually add liquid.But if you look at it halfway through to pot is full of liquid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes