Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,657,946 times

Advertisements

I really wasn't sure what to do for an inspection. Our agent said that the inspection is mostly for functionality - what works and what doesn't. Well, everything works just fine, but here's what we did. Additional ideas welcomed as they come at 8:00 Monday morning!

1. thoroughly cleaned the house
2. vacuumed, dusted, and washed air handlers and replaced filters with new
3. pulled out movable appliances like fridg and vacuumed and washed behind
4. replaced all the screens in screened windows
5. touched up any minor paint needs inside and out
6. checked and double checked intercoms
7. checked all cable and audio connections
8. checked all circuit breakers and GFCI plugs, all outlets too
9. cleaned stove and oven thoroughly
10. put out all manuals and warranty info for all appliances, garage door openers, flood lights, kitchen cabinets, intercom, etc., etc.
11. have available (but not obvious) all repair receipts going back 10 years
12. cleaned out lint trap in dryer
13. filled water softener with salt
14. checked all automatic sprinklers and water pressure
15. planned to leave when buyer gets here

The last I wasn't going to do until I found that the buyer agent will be here and my agent knows, hires, and trust the inspector completely. My concerns then evaporated.

Oh, and all valuables are locked away, of course, anyway.

Did we forget anything? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,888,175 times
Is your attic and/or crawl space accessible? If you have cars or boxes or anything blocking these, the inspector isn't going to move a thing, and they may require a re-inspection, which will also cost more, for them to come back another time.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Is your attic and/or crawl space accessible? If you have cars or boxes or anything blocking these, the inspector isn't going to move a thing, and they may require a re-inspection, which will also cost more, for them to come back another time.
Yes, the attic is accessible. Good thought on the cars - we'll pull them out of the garage to give easier access to the attic, water heater, etc. Thank you!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,955,554 times
Touch up odd spots on the drywall with paint. You don't want it to look like you might have a water damage or mold issue.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 55,847 times
Look for daylight coming in around doors - usually an easy fix depending on where gap is.

Check for drainage in all sinks - pug sink, fill with water, check how long it takes to drain.

Check all smoke alarms.

We have found that the inspector will always find something. No house is perfect!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,619,359 times
That list is very impressive. I think the inspector and buyer will be impressed. Most sellers don't put in nearly this much effort to prepare.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
That list is very impressive. I think the inspector and buyer will be impressed. Most sellers don't put in nearly this much effort to prepare.
Thanks rj. We have maintained this home that way for 18 years - we maintain everything that way. That is why we have cars for 12-15 years before getting a new one. As I have said before, the Golden Rule applies in our life. We hope the inspector and buyer find our efforts helpful.

A friend told me that our heat pumps (two Trane, 18 years old originals) will be put on the inspection list as a recommended replace item because of age. My wife said, "it is irresponsible to dump them in a landfill when they are working perfectly fine." I love my wife. They are, and have been, perfect with the exception of one capacitor replacement.

Also, the roof is original and even though the tiles are "50 year" tiles, as you know, in AZ it is less the tiles and more the tar paper underneath that matters. Does an inspector lift tiles or is he not allowed to. I am told they cannot move anything. I do expect he'll find something to say about the roof - even if it is just a cracked tile somewhere.

Other than that, all is ready. Our friends in Asheville are preparing our room already for when we arrive. The amazing thing about that is that we have never met in person - yet they are opening their home to us indefinitely until we find our own place. Talk about the Golden Rule! They put us to shame!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:13 PM

424 posts, read 2,345,449 times
I agree that the inspector will probably find something, there's usually a piece of something somewhere that needs repaired, something not in view so you don't usually know about it. But.... it sounds like you're as ready as can be, and can you come please clean my house next?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,619,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
...A friend told me that our heat pumps (two Trane, 18 years old originals) will be put on the inspection list as a recommended replace item because of age. My wife said, "it is irresponsible to dump them in a landfill when they are working perfectly fine." I love my wife. They are, and have been, perfect with the exception of one capacitor replacement.

Also, the roof is original and even though the tiles are "50 year" tiles, as you know, in AZ it is less the tiles and more the tar paper underneath that matters. Does an inspector lift tiles or is he not allowed to. I am told they cannot move anything. I do expect he'll find something to say about the roof - even if it is just a cracked tile somewhere...
Assuming there are no functional problems with the heat pumps, if the buyer expresses concern about their age, your agent can suggest they get a home warranty if they are not already buying one to cover future replacement, or you can offer to pay for a home warranty (about $300-$500 depending on coverage options).

I would not expect the inspector to lift any tiles or actually walk on the tiles as that may cause damage. Generally, the inspector will just report any damaged tiles or potential areas for leaks, like missing or badly installed flashing. Another common item reported regarding roofs are overhanging trees and debris on the roof. He/she will most likely recommend that the buyer have a professional roofer investigate if they want more detailed roof information.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM

15,617 posts, read 40,604,955 times
Yes inspector's don't move anything. So having access to electrical panels and attic/crawl spaces is important.

Yes, they will write on the inspection report that the heat pumps work and that they are nearing the end of the "manufacturer's recommended life" or some kind of verbiage like that.

Caulking is probably the #1 thing I see on reports (around bathtubs and windows, butt joints on siding) then dirty gutters is #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate