Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:11 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,807,770 times

Advertisements

The fair housing act does that include being fair about the discription of communities, or is it just that you can't discriminate and say "family friendly neighborhood, etc".

I'm asking this since we see realtors advertising like this about a community which is having so much trouble....highest amount of bankowned homes and homes in foreclosure, rentals, drugs and gangs and many empty houses in distress......is it fair to advertise like this and try to get people who haven't probable read the articles that are all over the internet about this community with huge problems.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,669,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The fair housing act does that include being fair about the discription of communities, or is it just that you can't discriminate and say "family friendly neighborhood, etc".

I'm asking this since we see realtors advertising like this about a community which is having so much trouble....highest amount of bankowned homes and homes in foreclosure, rentals, drugs and gangs and many empty houses in distress......is it fair to advertise like this and try to get people who haven't probable read the articles that are all over the internet about this community with huge problems.....
Are you now the judge of what is a beautiful community?

To someone coming from East New York anything else would probably be beautiful.

It is no ones fault but the purchaser if they buy a home with out fully checking out the area.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

It is no ones fault but the purchaser if they buy a home with out fully checking out the area.
So false advertisement is okay to sell something to a, lets say a first time buyer who need advise......

Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,989,327 times
Mike, why bother?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Mike, why bother?
Exactly...why bother....there is a way to block me and keep away from my post

I was asking to see what the public would say about this "honest advertising" in a time that many people have the feeling that mortgage brokers and other professionals not have been working in the best interest of the clients.....this way of advertising about the worst hit community.....isn't helping new home owners.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

So are you saying it is ok to lie on a listing? I mean, if I advertised one block to school without mentioning that the school has closed....would that be wrong? If there is gang activity in a neighborhood, would it be right ot advertise it as a safe neighborhood?
Yes, the onus will be on the purchaser to an extent....but what if they are transfers? In the military?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 PM

40,957 posts, read 49,272,120 times
The Fair Housing addresses issues like race, sex, family status. It does not address creative advertising that uses words like cute, charming or beautiful. Those are in the eye of the beholder just like a car, shoes or curtains can be attractive or ugly.

Hopefully any semi-intelligent person can decide if a pair of shoes is desirable just like a neighborhood is desirable.

On the other hand, if I had a buyer client looking at a neighborhood that had a high number of foreclosures I would make sure they were aware of the situation. They then could as an intelligent human make an informed decision if the situation was good or bad for them.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So are you saying it is ok to lie on a listing? I mean, if I advertised one block to school without mentioning that the school has closed....would that be wrong? If there is gang activity in a neighborhood, would it be right ot advertise it as a safe neighborhood?
Yes, the onus will be on the purchaser to an extent....but what if they are transfers? In the military?
Where is the lie?

Who is the judge of what is a beautiful neighborhood?

What is a safe neighborhood?

To each person the answer is different.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So false advertisement is okay to sell something to a, lets say a first time buyer who need advise......
You once again make unfounded statements.

Where is the false advertisement?

Saying "beautiful new neighborhood" is not the same as saying "Nothing bad will ever happen in this neighborhood".

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Mike, why bother?
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate