Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 38,371 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about house hunting and I figure that it would make sense to have an agent working for me rather than the seller. A buyers agent, BA. That seems easy enough, but I have some questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
Do you generally have to sign a paper stating that they are a buyers agent?
Can that BA show you properties that they, or their office have as listings?
How do realitors feel about being a BA? Do they prefer it? Or not.
How do listing agents feel about working with a buyers agent? Are they less helpful?
Does an agent need to anything special to be an BA, or can they do it when someone asks?
Is there ever a good time to not use a buyers agent?
If anyone can think of other questions or other things I should think about, I'd greatly appericate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM

229 posts, read 233,051 times
Red face Buyers agents

OK... I am not a real estate agent guru, here's what I know.I believe a buyers agent works and represents you as a buyer. As your agent they can not disclose any information to a seller about how much you can spend or any other info. that you have given them. Yes they can show you listings of others in their office, even places that they are listing for a seller. They have to let you know that the represent the seller though and also if their office represents a seller. I do not think there is any special training or anything, just the rules about what can and can not be said. I do not believe there is a cost difference if you get a buyers agent so why not have someone looking out for you. I personally am always wary of those agents who represent both the buyer and the seller they seem to have THEIR interests at heart and not you as the client. Hope this helps. I think there are brochures at real estate offices on the subject and also on real estate websites. Best of Luck to you

Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,840 times
attica -

I've been licensed, and a Realtor, since 1988, and was asked to assist a buyer as a buyer's agent pretty shortly thereafter. When nationally recognized credentials became available, I got a CBR (Certified Buyer's Representative) designation. There's another one which was made available after CBR was created, called Acredited Buyer's Representative (ABR).

The whole Buyer Broker/Buyer Agent phenomenon really came about through consumer demand, and I think the education we agents received as a result has been a very good thing.

In my state (Vermont), after buyer agency became fairly common, the State Of VT passed legislation which essentially required agents to discuss "agency" (who represents whom etc etc etc) "at first substantial contact". Which, again, is a very good thing.

Let me answer your questions as best I can, but of course this may vary just a bit, because the laws of Agency vary.

1) Yes - For me to represent a buyer as a buyer's agent, there's a contract to be negotiated. But before I bring that out, I simply ask the prospective buyer to look over, and sign, a State of VT mandated form which is merely a disclosure. This lays out the various options available to consumers in the State of VT, and helps me frame a conversation about these issues. I've been in the business for quite a while, so I'm smart enough now to occasionally not even bring out the buyer agency paperwork. Sometimes I just discuss Agency, using the disclosure form and leave it at that. That's fairly rare, but if I sign a buyer agency contract I assume some fiduciary duties, and I don't take them lightly.

2) Yes - I can show you company listings as a buyer's agency. I spend some time discussing exactly how this works when I first sit down and meet a prospective buyer. It's partly a matter of office policy and partly a matter of the laws of Agency in VT.

3) It took a few years, but now Realtors in VT embrace buyer agency. In fact the great majority of buyers have a buyer agent now. Also - Listing Agents very very rarely show any resistance to buyer brokereage. I used to have to educate other agents, but I don't these days for the most part. Both buyers and sellers deserve representation, and most folks just understand this now.

4) Legally - Any licensed agent can act as a buyer's agent in VT.

5) Is there ever a good time to not use a buyer agent?
The short answer is no, in my opinion. But I strongly believe in the value of finding the right Realtor. You deserve somebody who's willing to work hard for you, has some experience, and with whom you feel comfortable. Being able to communicate easily with your agent is really crucial.

So if I were you, I'd ask for recommendations from friends and I'd interview 2 or 3 Realtors. Look for somebody who listens well and seems to enjoy discussing these questions about the process, and is willing to take time to be genuinely helpful. Ask the "what if" questions - like what if it's your company's listing? What about for sale by owner property? What if you, the agent, aren't available when I want to see the property? Ask how much of the Realtor's business consists of helping people in more-or-less your situation.

I really hope this helps!

David

Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 38,371 times
David,

That's great! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all my questions!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,840 times
I'd be happy to hear of your progress! Best of luck to you. It's a very exciting process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals