Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times

Advertisements

Just thought that I would ask. Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:39 PM

98 posts, read 285,051 times
I dislike living in the sprawl of North Raleigh, but that's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy living downtown. I plan on moving into one of those new condo's sometime or another.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I don't like the heat here during the summer months. But I like the winters. So I'd like to live here from November to May and live in the Finger Lakes region of NY from June to October.

Some day.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
It's a fine place, just not my cup of tea.
Once we determine the best fit for our family, we will be moving. The good news is that we saw the real estate crash coming and sold our house last year.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Yes, I hate living here. I'm already tired of people moving in and complaining about (1) how they don't like it here and (2) how it's not the same as X place they came from.

I've been here a short time but like it. I will enjoy it even more once I've moved into my house and can feel settled. The weather is more mild than I expected, people are friendly. I have to do more driving than I like but that's because I use to be a 5 minute walk from a downtown area. Now I'm at Brier Creek in North Raleigh.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
I used to defend this place. Here lately, I just want to get back to the Northeast (Baltimore/DC area).
This area is fine, just boring as hell. No Zoo. No Aquarium. The parks are a joke. Science Center? I mean damn, do something.
Oh, and 1-2 hours to a zoo or aquarium is stupid.
I do like the Durham Bulls a lot, however.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Good question because I do like this area, but my wife and I are about 95% sure we're going to move back to Northern VA soon. It really has nothing to do with this area however. Our first child is now 7 months old and we both find it increasingly hard to be away from family. I have a HUGE family and being 4.5 hours away is just not as convenient as we'd like. We just want our son to grow up with his aunts, uncles, cousins, and of course grandparents.

Now I will say that moving here in 2006 was the best thing we could have done. We sold our townhouse in Leesburg, VA for $200k more than what we could have got for it now, should we have stayed there. We would be upside down right now if that was the case! We both got good jobs that undoubtedly helped both of our careers. I finished my bachelors degree, which would have been next to impossible up there with what I was doing (Police Officer at the time). We bought a nice house in a good area (Leesville), that has actually appreciated about $20-30K according to the comps in our neighborhood. We still have about $50k in equity we put into the house on the down payment when we purchased it in 2006.

We've been able to save money, which is what will make it possible for us to move back while we find jobs, although my wife will keep her job here until I find a job up there (we'll be seeing each other on the weekends). Anyhow, I guess what I'm saying is that moving here was a great move for us and has helped us more then if we would have stayed in the DC area. However, with family being more important now, and the housing market in that area fallen like a rock it makes more sense to move back now. I will miss things about this area, but look forward to getting back to my "roots".

Old 07-26-2009, 01:25 PM

226 posts, read 788,036 times
We REALLY wanted to like it here (moved here 2 yrs ago), but we're planning to move as soon as we can. We were previously in Wilmington and we'd like to go back there or Charlotte. Just waiting to see what we can do with the job and then we'll be outta here.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM

149 posts, read 431,620 times
Statistically speaking, the answer is very likely to be yes.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
We REALLY wanted to like it here (moved here 2 yrs ago), but we're planning to move as soon as we can. We were previously in Wilmington and we'd like to go back there or Charlotte. Just waiting to see what we can do with the job and then we'll be outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary