Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 06:06 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,548,346 times

Advertisements

I thought this was rather interesting: https://sherwood.news/tech/how-to-op...talled-in-new/
Quote:
With sensors, microphones, and cameras, cars collect way more data than needed to operate the vehicle. They also share and sell that information to third parties, something many Americans don’t realize they’re opting into when they buy these cars.
Quote:
The data they may or may not collect can cause real trouble. It can notify your insurance company that you braked too hard or sped up too fast. Car companies can share your info with law enforcement without your knowledge. A domestic abuser could use it to track your whereabouts. It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to see this heading south.

I wanted to turn off data collection on my car because it’s creepy and I thought the option would be simple. It turns out that shutting off data collection and figuring out what’s been collected is much more difficult than it would seem. I know because it took me — a reasonably informed and technologically savvy person — a month to finally do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 06:13 PM

27,196 posts, read 15,375,157 times
I got a link with my new Toyota that supposedly let's me opt out.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:23 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,633,197 times
The problem is that it's not just Honda. This is an issue in most modern vehicles and one of the primary reasons (among others) that I have no interest in owning one. Vehicles in general starting going downhill in the 2010's with this kind of nonsense and have only gotten worse.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:39 PM

13,066 posts, read 9,592,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The problem is that it's not just Honda. This is an issue in most modern vehicles and one of the primary reasons (among others) that I have no interest in owning one. Vehicles in general starting going downhill in the 2010's with this kind of nonsense and have only gotten worse.
True. And the last think you want to do is to sign up for the insurance cost reduction based on your driving habits.

Auto designers are trying to cover too many bases at once. My car (Audi) has Apple Car Play, but it can be a pain at times. This afternoon, I was listening to the radio (Sirius XM, then I switched to FM), and several text messages came in. Each time a message came, it would switch the radio off and go to something else, such as weather radar. I'd hit "radio", then it would switch again when the next message came in, even though I ignored it. I'm not going to mention it to the dealer, even if it is an issue, because they'd want to keep it for several days and then take things apart.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:40 PM

20,156 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Exactly why our new car is old.
No more new cars for us. They suck.
Everything about them just sucks.
Technological nightmares, waaay overpriced, plus the potential Big Brother nonsense.
Nah. No thanks bruh. I’ll keep polluting the environment with my old, yet dependable and secure gas guzzler.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:40 PM

16,675 posts, read 8,672,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I got a link with my new Toyota that supposedly let's me opt out.
The only way to be certain is to remove whatever data collection method is currently in the car. Those of us who have owned Corvettes or other GM cars going back some time know you need a knowledgeable person to discombobulate the recording device in the car which could give all sorts of info like speed, braking, etc.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:13 PM

20,156 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The only way to be certain is to remove whatever data collection method is currently in the car. Those of us who have owned Corvettes or other GM cars going back some time know you need a knowledgeable person to discombobulate the recording device in the car which could give all sorts of info like speed, braking, etc.
Every last thing is connected to the “computer”, everything, it’s absolutely ridiculous and mind boggling.
You gotta really know your *bleep* in order to circumvent or modify this crap. I have had nothing but problems with our “new” cars. It would blow your mind what some of the solutions were to certain issues. In fact, the most recent vehicle we had I just gave up and sold because they absolutely could not figure out the problem. Just kept scanning and throwing parts at it. “Trained” dealer techs, had to escalate it to corporate and engineering and still couldn’t resolve the issue. I am NOT going through this ever again. It’s not worth it. Brand new cars are really only good for 25, 30k miles on average. Then the problems start and don’t stop. And it’s almost always the tech part. The mechanicals are what they are, they’re tangible. Brakes, muffler, shocks, suspension parts, all that stuff is what it is. It breaks, and you fix it. On the other hand, you can be chasing tech/electrical gremlins til you’re blue in the face and sometimes never figure it out. Or spend thousands of dollars in diag & repairs. Nope nope nope.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:37 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,633,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
True. And the last think you want to do is to sign up for the insurance cost reduction based on your driving habits.

Auto designers are trying to cover too many bases at once. My car (Audi) has Apple Car Play, but it can be a pain at times. This afternoon, I was listening to the radio (Sirius XM, then I switched to FM), and several text messages came in. Each time a message came, it would switch the radio off and go to something else, such as weather radar. I'd hit "radio", then it would switch again when the next message came in, even though I ignored it. I'm not going to mention it to the dealer, even if it is an issue, because they'd want to keep it for several days and then take things apart.
That stuff is incredibly distracting! I suspect it's a noticeable contributor to accidents (not saying that you're using it recklessly but many people do) and one of the reasons why auto fatality rates have actually gone up in recent years, along with other unsettling driver behaviors.

I agree with you about the insurance driving habit monitoring. I'd be very leery about that so it's a hard pass for me.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:47 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,275,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with you about the insurance driving habit monitoring. I'd be very leery about that so it's a hard pass for me.

Even the folks in my insurance agents office, um, "indirectly" steered me away from that particular "discount" .

Old 05-07-2024, 09:42 PM

25,940 posts, read 18,937,421 times
If I were rich, I'd buy a "resto-mod" or ground-up build by one of the small companies which do that sort of thing. They use modern, better engineered motors and drivetrain, minimal ECM functionality to control the mechanical aspects of the cars in a modern way, BUT they leave off all the unnecessary "infotainment" crap that the younger generations crave so much. And of course, the car itself is a very close copy of the original from long ago. The only thing I do not like about my new(er) Mustang is the computer "infotainment" garbage and the electronic/computerized power everything. All totally unnecessary headaches and something more to malfunction and have to pay to have it fixed. This sort of car would cure that problem: the mechanical/engineering reliability of a new car without the crap that always comes on a new car.

This one would suit me just fine: https://revologycars.com/car/1968-mu...ack-cobra-jet/

No spying here, I presume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies