Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 01:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

There is a dog in our area that runs around freely. It is viscous. It has attacked our chickens three times, attacked our dog once and snapped at my wife. We have had no luck finding the owner if there is one.

I now have six dead chickens, five mauled and probably dying, the rest are all injured and one missing, and a sobbing wife. This dog needs to go. We are going to buy a large live trap but I am not sure what to bait it with or where to put it. Any suggestions are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 01:59 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is a dog in our area that runs around freely. It is viscous. It has attacked our chickens three times, attacked our dog once and snapped at my wife. We have had no luck finding the owner if there is one.

I now have six dead chickens, five mauled and probably dying, the rest are all injured and one missing, and a sobbing wife. This dog needs to go. We are going to buy a large live trap but I am not sure what to bait it with or where to put it. Any suggestions are welcome
Before you buy anything, check with local animal control. They often need to trap dogs, cats, or wildlife. They may have a trap you can borrow and they might even set one up for you. If they don't, they may know of a rescue group who can. They could also recommend how to bait it. If the dog is loose most of the time it will probably be wary of the trap and it might take more effort/skill to overcome its suspicion. A starving dog might not be too picky.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-16-2021 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 02:07 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Can you call your local animal control, or the non emergency police number who can direct you to the necessary authority to handle an aggressive animal?

Old 10-16-2021, 06:04 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Before I fortified the dog run with an electric wire, my Arctic wolf used to escape often. He wasn’t about to go back in his run, so I chopped up fresh meat like pot roast, and laced it with about three Ace tablets. I put the meat near the driveway because after his ramble, that’s where he’d come. After about an hour, he was much easier to catch.

Animal control is an option where you can get them to do the work for you. If not, put the trap where you’ve seen him, near your chickens. The smell of the meat should lure him in. If you can estimate his weight, Ace will help make him more docile.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:22 PM

6,879 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Killing chickens? I'd suggest shooting it. I am guessing you live outside the city limits.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Killing chickens? I'd suggest shooting it. I am guessing you live outside the city limits.
Yes, unless it's different in the states than Canada, you can shoot an animal that is threatening your livestock.

BUT, I'd try calling the local humane society first to see if they can trap him. If you shoot him and just injure him, you'll have an injured, (suffering) vicious dog running around.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:39 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, unless it's different in the states than Canada, you can shoot an animal that is threatening your livestock.
While the specifics will vary by locality, its legal to shoot a dog harassing livestock on private property in the US.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While the specifics will vary by locality, its legal to shoot a dog harassing livestock on private property in the US.
Also legal to shoot a dog harassing wildlife in at least some states.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Sure, with some caveats that vary by jurisdiction. In most cases, the animal has to in the act of attacking/harassing livestock before you can legally shoot it.

Personally, I'm in favor of keeping chickens safe from possible predators in the first place. If a loose dog doesn't get them, raccoons, coyotes, or foxes will.

I agree with those who suggest calling whatever animal control agency exists in the area.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-22-2021 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-25-2021, 12:46 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,926 times
Deboned rotisserie chicken pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets