Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:11 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,600,627 times

Advertisements

So....I've been engaged for 10 mos. & when I moved in with my fiance, he had to give away his cat ...to his brother & family...because I was super allergic & sneezed a lot every time she walked near me. I felt so bad about it.....AND still do...tho his niece is super happy.

BUT I have been thinking about a puppy & this seems like a really good time to train one because we're at home more. Does anybody have suggestions on what kind of puppy we should get.....I'm kinda thinking a smaller breed. He likes larger dogs & cats. We're a perfect fit in so many ways.......BUT maybe not on pets...

Thank you for any advice tho on different breeds......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 02:59 PM

23,387 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
So....I've been engaged for 10 mos. & when I moved in with my fiance, he had to give away his cat ...to his brother & family...because I was super allergic & sneezed a lot every time she walked near me. I felt so bad about it.....AND still do...tho his niece is super happy.

BUT I have been thinking about a puppy & this seems like a really good time to train one because we're at home more. Does anybody have suggestions on what kind of puppy we should get.....I'm kinda thinking a smaller breed. He likes larger dogs & cats. We're a perfect fit in so many ways.......BUT maybe not on pets...

Thank you for any advice tho on different breeds......
No one can do this thinking for you OP. There must be dozens of websites offering questionnaires about how to choose a puppy...start reading! Its all about discussing what each of you want and expect out of your pet. It doesn't need to be a puppy. Any new dog will need attention, acclimatization and training.

Just a small sample:

https://www.akc.org/dog-breed-selector/

https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to...ht-dog-1117320

https://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector

Also look at Petfinder. They have various tools that can help.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 729,158 times
Are you sure you aren’t allergic to dogs?

IMO, rescue is the best breed. Having said that, I love the larger breeds too. A lot depends on where you live, climate, apartment or house with yard, time you have for exercising the dog, etc. Please don’t get a dog if it will be alone all day while you both are working or busy elsewhere. And consider how much extra work a puppy is than an older dog that is house trained. ( why I recommend a rescue)

Old 08-25-2020, 04:12 PM

23,387 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Please don’t get a dog if it will be alone all day while you both are working or busy elsewhere. And consider how much extra work a puppy is than an older dog that is house trained. ( why I recommend a rescue)
Definitely things to consider. You'll go back to work eventually and need to leave the dog home alone. If you don't teach your new dog how to spend time by itself you will live to regret it and so will your unfortunate dog. I don't agree that dogs can't be left alone during the workday. A majority of dogs probably are. If they are properly socialized and given appropriate love and attention when family is home they can do just fine. There obviously are exceptions. Don't get a puppy, spoil it and teach it to expect constant human presence, and then be dissatisfied when the dog ends up with behavioral problems once your work life resumes.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2020 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 04:23 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
OP, you are going to have to give a lot more information about what you expect a dog to do for you. There are hundreds of breeds of dogs and everyone of them fits the criteria of "I want a dog".

For people who just want a dog and any nice dog will do, the best option is to go down to the pound and see if one of the inmates strikes a cord with you.

Purebreds are for people who want or need something specific from a dog and not just any dog will do.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Are you sure you aren’t allergic to dogs?

IMO, rescue is the best breed. Having said that, I love the larger breeds too. A lot depends on where you live, climate, apartment or house with yard, time you have for exercising the dog, etc. Please don’t get a dog if it will be alone all day while you both are working or busy elsewhere. And consider how much extra work a puppy is than an older dog that is house trained. ( why I recommend a rescue)

My family had a dog when I was growing up so I'm not. I didn't know I was allergic to cats before meeting my fiance's....but she was like a little furball. She had long gray & white fur & super cute. I wish I wasn't allergic to her.

We have a house with a lot of space & yard....tho it's a little sloped....& we wouldn't take her to the condo. I would have time to walk her & there is a trail close to us where dogs are allowed. AND....a dog wouldn't be home alone all the time. When I return to work with normal hrs....covid 19 keeps shutting down our surgeries.....it will still only be part time.

edit: thank you for the reply....BUT if we did get a dog, my heart is set on a puppy. It doesn't have to be a pure bred tho.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 08-26-2020 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,891,929 times
Then a shelter pup is the kind for you. Puppies at shelters don't last long - usually gone in a day. I think you can filter for "size" - in that, if you want something smaller, wait for something smaller....but if you want a particular breed, it could be a long wait.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 AM

144 posts, read 81,318 times
Please make sure you're not allergic to dogs before taking one!

I also prefer medium/big breeds. I have a dog, he's a golden retriever and he's so funny and playful, loves children and educated, I didn't buy it (as I am against this kind of things), a good friend of mine has a goldie too, and when she gave birth to puppies, I chose one.
I really wanted a dog then, and I wanted to go to the shelter, but then my friend gave me a puppy and I kept it.
I always say to go to shelter first, give an old and sad dog a second chance! Save them, make their days happy and give them a forever home!
I hope you will find that one dog which you will treat as a member of your family good luck!

Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 AM

37,665 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
My family had a dog when I was growing up so I'm not. I didn't know I was allergic to cats before meeting my fiance's....but she was like a little furball. She had long gray & white fur & super cute. I wish I wasn't allergic to her.

We have a house with a lot of space & yard....tho it's a little sloped....& we wouldn't take her to the condo. I would have time to walk her & there is a trail close to us where dogs are allowed. AND....a dog wouldn't be home alone all the time. When I return to work with normal hrs....covid 19 keeps shutting down our surgeries.....it will still only be part time.

edit: thank you for the reply....BUT if we did get a dog, my heart is set on a puppy. It doesn't have to be a pure bred tho.
Hopefully you are young and have a lot of patience (and younger skin!!). My BF got a puppy nearly 8 years ago. I will never, EVER, even consider a puppy, EVER, again. NEVER. I still have scars on my arms from those teeth!!! I was freaking EXHAUSTED.

Did I say NEVER?

Old 08-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hopefully you are young and have a lot of patience (and younger skin!!). My BF got a puppy nearly 8 years ago. I will never, EVER, even consider a puppy, EVER, again. NEVER. I still have scars on my arms from those teeth!!! I was freaking EXHAUSTED.

Did I say NEVER?

I'm young & full of patience....BUT there are cons ofc....AND I like small dogs, he likes big dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets