Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,392,012 times

Advertisements

Hi all, thought I'd ask this here as it's a problem I've been dealing with for several years now, without success. I live in Ottawa, Canada - a very high humidity city in the summertime - and I don't have A/C. The way my windows are set up in the house, I can't vent a portable A/C unit, and I don't have the money for an installed home A/C.

My house does stay 'relatively' cool in the daytime if I leave windows and curtains shut, but at night it can be quite uncomfortable...the only source of cooling I have right now is fans, which aren't great. This year I'd like to have something set up so I don't worry so much about my dog when I go away, as I'm having a pet sitter come to take care of him on a daily basis. (My basement does stay ultra cool year round, but my dog refuses to go down there by himself.) I've looked into swamp coolers, but have read many pros and cons about them, one specifically saying that they are practically useless in high humidity regions, and they add more humidity to the air (obviously); yet some people in high humidity areas have sometimes said that they love them.

Anyone here have experience with any of this? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,524,359 times
Sounds like you might have casement windows? I have a few of those myself. I love them but they won't accommodate a portable or window air conditioner. They need a slider or a single or double hung window.

Is it possible to replace just one of your windows in your bedroom so you can use a portable or a window unit? Sounds like night time is your main problem. Depending on size one window replacement should be less than $500. You could also look into a "mini split" AC unit (google for info) It's like central A/C but smaller and needs no ductwork. Not cheap as it needs an HVAC person to install but also not complicated; they only need to drill a small hole in the wall for a pipe going to a small outdoor condenser unit.

I use a portable A/C unit in my bedroom and it's great. Coincidentally I lived for years without AC in my bedroom but bought mostly for my elderly dog at the time. Now I can't live without it! LOL

Some people have good luck with an evaporative cooler if they use ice in it. This is one I was thinking of for a sunroom I am planning. It comes with ice packs and has good reviews. You could always try one from a local store and return if it doesn't work for you.

https://www.improvementscatalog.com/...-cooler/317932

Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 AM

Yes, exactly! I have very old, very large (very tall) casement windows and they are next to impossible to have a window A/C unit in, at least without removing the window and replacing it with a permanent frame for the unit. Given that my house is dark inside and doesn't have a lot of access to breezes without being able to open all of the windows, I'd really hate to block one off. It's also rather commonplace around here to have potential thieves scout out break-ins via windows supporting A/C units.

I'm at a place where some of my windows are going to be replaced, but that's not happening until late in the year, after I pay for foundation work, an exterior wall fix, and a door replacement (in other words, $$$$$). So in the interim I was hoping to find something portable and not too costly that I could set up before I go away, so the pet sitter could make sure the house doesn't get unbearable if the temps happen to soar that week, and (yes, you're right again) it's mostly at night after a very hot day that my dog gets really warm, so having something that could run and give a bit of relief would be great.

Ironically, the link you provided for a swamp cooler was one I was looking at a couple of days ago. I'd read a lot of good things about it, but was hesitant because of some comments about high humidity areas and it's ineffectiveness (I did see some comments in one site from people in high humidity areas who felt it did work okay). I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and try one from a store that takes returns, see if it works...if it doesn't, as you suggested, return it.

Thanks so much for your input!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,605,235 times
Instead of trying to cool the whole room, maybe consider something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Hugs-Pet-Prod...t+cooling+beds

If the link does not display just go to Amazon and type in pet cooling mat.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,529,646 times
Call up one of these A/C rental places and ask about rental cost for the summer. benefit is they will install the unit in the spring and remove it in the fall
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...71.Y21lhE74DPc

Old 06-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Call up one of these A/C rental places and ask about rental cost for the summer. benefit is they will install the unit in the spring and remove it in the fall
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...71.Y21lhE74DPc
I'd not heard of this before, thanks so much for the tip!

(shadowfax, as for the cooling mat, I have one for his royal hairiness...he refuses to lie on it....)

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 AM

90 posts, read 56,140 times
We live in Ny state and just use fans in the windows but do have a small a/c unit in our bedroom and the kids bedroom. We have guinea pigs and they are very temperamental with outdoor temps. We were in an rv in Fl last year and our a/c went out during the hottest months. We purchased a portable ac but it does cost a few hundred dollars. You can use it in a bedroom and either bring the condensation hose outside or we set up a bucket underneath. the hose comes with it and if you put it near a window, it can go outside of it. It kept it very cool and our chihuahuas kept cool.

Good luck with your a/c problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets