Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 11:04 AM

28 posts, read 27,267 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Got a job offer at the LAX airport starting early next year.
Irregular working hours, getting to the airport once or twice a week, so longer commute should not be a problem.
Looking for a neighbourhood recommendations for me and my wife to live.
1BR apartment in or around Orange County, close to the beach (20-30'), safe area to walk around at night.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 07:21 PM

690 posts, read 648,843 times
It would help to know a few more things such as your budget and desired amenities. If you want to be within 20-30m of the beach, keep in mind we get a lot of traffic in the beach areas. Irvine is a very safe area. There are parts of Huntington Beach and Newport Beach that are very nice but that's a huge price range. Your budget would be helpful here.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:43 AM

Thank you.
Looking at a 1BR place in a modern apartment complex with a pool at around 2800-3000 a month.
Safe and walkable neighbourhood close to the 'wholefoods' sort of the grocery store with cafes/restaurants nearby, or short driving distance.
I am fully aware of the allegedly atrocious traffic in the LA basin, but the climate, vibe of the place, nature, etc. can all offset the inconvenience of sitting in the traffic.
Since we are coming from overseas our credit history is non-existent, but we can secure the chunk of the rental with cash.
Any tips and suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:11 AM

14,390 posts, read 11,807,073 times
Your opening post states you want to be about 20-30 FEET from the beach? Is that correct? Or did you really mean miles, minutes, or something else?

Old 10-23-2023, 10:34 AM

1,219 posts, read 677,508 times
this sub is so dead.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:56 AM

Thanks,
We visited OC and really liked the place.
I would surely consider other options with strong focus on safety and walkability.
How about south-western, coastal side of Torrence, perhaps Redondo?

Thanks

PS. regarding my original post, of course I meant minutes, would like to be within reasonable driving distance to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Doctrine View Post
Minutes likely were meant, as in arc minutes. Strange use, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute_and_second_of_arc

OP, there are several places that would fit your criteria, but even with your flexible schedule I'd be more worried about getting to work. The 405 north is going to be slow going. There are beach communities north and south of LAX which are much closer to the airport, so why OC?

Old 10-29-2023, 11:40 PM

690 posts, read 648,843 times
Torrance and Redondo are in Los Angeles County.

I suggest you consider Irvine. You might find something for those prices. The Irvine Company has many apartments in Irvine and other neighboring cities.

https://www.irvinecompanyapartments.com/

Old 10-31-2023, 12:48 AM

Thank you.
What about the northern coastal part of LA basin?
Someone just suggested to me that area is quieter with better access to nature and generally more peaceful.
Commute to LAX shouldn't be as bad as coming from the south?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2023, 08:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,315,039 times
I'd look at Seal Beach, Belmont Shore and Bixby Knolls. Then Cypress and Cerritos; not on the beach, but more affordable. After that, Hermosa Beach.

I am not sure what the "northern coastal part of LA basin" means. To me that would be Malibu, which certainly won't be in your budget range. If you mean further north, like Hueneme, Oxnard, etc. I would not call that the LA basin and long commute at any time.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:34 AM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I'd look at Seal Beach, Belmont Shore and Bixby Knolls. Then Cypress and Cerritos; not on the beach, but more affordable. After that, Hermosa Beach.

I am not sure what the "northern coastal part of LA basin" means. To me that would be Malibu, which certainly won't be in your budget range. If you mean further north, like Hueneme, Oxnard, etc. I would not call that the LA basin and long commute at any time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles