Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 59,078 times

Advertisements

Hi. I plan on moving to Alexandria within the next couple weeks and I was considering London Park Towers. I plan on getting a 1bdr for no more than $1300 (though I'd prefer, obviously, to spend a lot less if I can). I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the London Park Towers apartment complex? Or if there are any apartments in the Alexandria area that are equivalently nice? All I want is a good area for a good price (harder to find than I thought =/). I already checked out Belle Haven apartments and was not impressed so maybe that is a good reference point for what I'm looking? And if anyone has any other specific apartment suggestions.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated since I'm starting my job the second week in October!!! =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
I have friends in both Belle Haven and London Park, and, at least to me, Belle Haven seems a bit nicer. It's safe, clean, and convenient (close to Metro) at least. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any complexes nicer than Belle Haven for Belle Haven's price.

My friend in London Park mentioned there's a lot of Section 8 (government-assisted low income) tenants in those buildings, but he hasn't had any problems.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Huntington Gateway is near Belle Haven. I toured their facilities and they seem nice, including an indoor/outdoor pool open year round, nice gym, free parking and within walking distance of the metro. Not sure about the price, as it varies depending on when you sign up. It is located at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway and Huntington Ave.

I toured about 15 properties and was very impressed with Dorchester Towers (not Dorchester Apts across the street, ugh). They also have free parking and lie on some major bus routes up and down Columbia Pike in the Arlington Area. They are cheaper than average and seem to be well run, though they are fairly old. They have some unusual amenities like an award winning rooftop garden, as well as a rose garden with free roses for the tenants. You can get wooden or carpeted floors. Only problem is that they don't often have vacancies, as people stick around for years.

Best apartment for the price seems to be Barton House, which is in the Rossyln area and covenient to everything, very well run, includes utilities and is much cheaper than usual. However, getting a vacancy there is next to impossible. Many people rent somewhere else and go on their waiting list for a year or more.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I have friends in both Belle Haven and London Park, and, at least to me, Belle Haven seems a bit nicer. It's safe, clean, and convenient (close to Metro) at least. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any complexes nicer than Belle Haven for Belle Haven's price.

My friend in London Park mentioned there's a lot of Section 8 (government-assisted low income) tenants in those buildings, but he hasn't had any problems.

The reason I didn't like Belle Haven more was just over all presentation. When I went there, though they seemed somewhat professional, their presentation of they apartments was unimpressive to say the least. Not to mention the 'renovations' that are done to some of the apartments aren't consistent nor did management know what renovations were done to the apartment they tried to rent to me!
On the other hand, London Towers seemed as if the grounds were better kept, apartment renovations were consistent and well done, and management was a lot friendlier. A 1-bdr at Belle Haven would have run about $1180 not including electric for 650 sq.ft., while at London Towers a 953 sq.ft. apartment will run me about $1290 not including water. They also told me they have a minimum income requirement. If that's the case how do Section 8 tenants rent here? Does your friend and London Park have any other complaints about the apartment other than other tenants?? Thanks for the input so far!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
I haven't heard any other complaints from him. He seems to think it's a decent first apartment, but he'll probably be moving on, looking for someplace nicer when he gets a chance to.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 AM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
If you like to spend more time outside of your apartment than inside, you might want to take a look at Monticello Lee in Old Town https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...lexandria.html

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM

40 posts, read 208,459 times
You may want to check this out.
London Park Towers Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Alexandria apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM

yeah I looked at all the reviews at apartment ratings for a bunch of apartments in the area. however I feel like some reviews aren't completely reliable, but are a good base. Thats why I decided to post on the forum- because through a discussion rather than a rant (for lack of a better word), you can kind of tell the general feel of an apartment complex. Plus more feedback is always good!! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 AM

40 posts, read 208,459 times
Default I agree about the apartment rating site, but

I can tell you a little bit about the area near London Park because I lived in a nearby apartment building for 6 years. I looked at the building every day from my 15th floor balcony. It's an older high rise building similar to many in Landmark. The area isn't exactly beautiful but most properties are well maintained. The grounds are clean and well kept and I would say that the immediate area is reasonably safe. There are some questionable apartment complexes in the area where the police seem to show up often, but in our 6 years of living there and frequently walking or riding bikes in the neighborhood we were never affected by a crime. My wife and I would frequently walk or bike by London Park on both Duke and along Paxton Street on the way to Holmes Run Park and we never felt uncomfortable doing so. There is a busy fire station very close by that generates a lot of noise.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinnj View Post
I can tell you a little bit about the area near London Park because I lived in a nearby apartment building for 6 years. I looked at the building every day from my 15th floor balcony. It's an older high rise building similar to many in Landmark. The area isn't exactly beautiful but most properties are well maintained. The grounds are clean and well kept and I would say that the immediate area is reasonably safe. There are some questionable apartment complexes in the area where the police seem to show up often, but in our 6 years of living there and frequently walking or riding bikes in the neighborhood we were never affected by a crime. My wife and I would frequently walk or bike by London Park on both Duke and along Paxton Street on the way to Holmes Run Park and we never felt uncomfortable doing so. There is a busy fire station very close by that generates a lot of noise.

Thanks for the information!! Do you know the names/locations of the "questionable" apartments? I'm looking at a few in the area and I'd hate to switch to a worse one! Or do you think any other apartment complexes are better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia