Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 42,129 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a house in Sterling. Is it legal to rent out a finished basement to another family? How do I find out about zoning laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 60,345 times
I'm not sure you could do something like put a full kitchen in the basement of the house, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to rent it out. youcan check with the zoning board. I looked on the county gov't site real quick. the number to contact the Zoning Admin is 703-777-0397.

they also have a hotline at 703-777-0118 for general questions.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,009 times
Does it have a separate entrance and a second way out?

Did you check with your insurance company to see if they will allow it? Do you have an HOA you have to check with?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Does it have a separate entrance and a second way out?
As far as I know, if the basement is finished it has to have it's own exit. How old is the house?

As far as the insurance question, you're right: Original poster would have to check with them.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Yes, it has its own entrance. And there's already a full kitchen down there. But I know in some places you're not supposed to have a second full kitchen so I want to find out first.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,780 times
Quote:
As far as I know, if the basement is finished it has to have it's own exit.
no.
an all below grade basement can be fully finished with just those small basement windows.

If you want it to count as a bedroom (as in listing for sale) then it has to have a closet and an alt exit either by door or by a window that is 3ft by 3ft(?) unsure of exact size.

someone can live in a basement without a separate exit (as my daughter did in our old house she was skinney and could fit through the basement window!!) the fire marshal will NOT appove it for a "residence" though without the egress.

I don't know anything about renting spaces etc... even if city code would allow it some HOAs won't. Technically I believe the code is no more than 2 UNREALATED adults living in a SFH (but could be 3)

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
an all below grade basement can be fully finished with just those small basement windows.
You're right. I was just assuming that since Izabel was talking about renting it out it would either function as a studio apt. or had a separate bedroom down there. I should have been clearer.

To Izabel: the full kitchen would probably be something your insurance company would be interested in if you did rent that space out and the second kitchen was used regularly. One a side-note: sounds like a cool house!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 PM

It's not really a below-ground basement. The front of the basement is below ground, the rear of it has been added on to the house and is above ground. All the windows are regular size, there's actually two entrances (one off a bedroom, one off the kitchen) full bath, full kitchen w/dining space, a mud room, 2brm and living room. It looks to me like it was specifically built to be a second rental unit... so that's what we want to do with it. I wish I could draw you a floor plan, it's such a great house.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,009 times
You need to check with the town. That's going to be the only way to make sure it's legal. Then check with your insurance.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootLe View Post
the number to contact the Zoning Admin is 703-777-0397.

they also have a hotline at 703-777-0118 for general questions.

Hope this helps!
I don't like to quote myself, but I think this is definitely your first stop. If they are like most county governments, you may have to follow up once or twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia