Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,819,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just returned from yet another wonderful trip to the Garden State. It seems that every time I visit, there always seems to be something new to discover. Many parts of NJ is happening for sure.

Here are some highlights:

American Dream - our first stop upon arriving, I would not call it American Nightmare yet but it sure isn't any American Dream to me. The mega mall is in the middle of nowhere, it is not transit oriented, getting in and out is a nightmare (with all sorts of turns left and right and inadequate wayfinding signage which further dampens the experience), and they do charge for parking if you stay longer than 1/2 hour. The mall itself isn't even that fancy and most of the stores are the same stores you'd find in any other ordinary suburban mall. The mall owners are Canadian and I am surprised they couldn't/wouldn't even attract Canadian retailers like Simons, Hudson's Bay Company, Canadian Tire, and Holt-Renfrew to set up shop here. Heck, if it were a mega mall with all brands of international stores representing all of the continents of the world but not found in the US, now that would be a great attraction magnet. Too bad.

Fort Lee - fast becoming a lively new Koreatown if it hasn't already. Korean restaurants and grocery stores are everywhere here. The food is authentic and reasonably priced, the service is great too. Fort Lee is gaining its own skyline too. I love the vibe of these up and coming towns.

Jersey City - yet another skyscraper is being built to add to its already brilliant skyline. Jersey City still has great vibes. Keep it up and breath down Manhattan's neck in terms of new development!

Edison/Iselin - this is probably my 3rd or 4th visit to Edison since 2003 but my first visit since 2009. The Iselin district has long been an Indiatown but lately I swear that it is livelier than before and has gained even more shops and restaurants. On the other side by Highway 27 and US 1, the Chinese are settling fast. This was the first trip in which we had dim sum in New Jersey! Normally when visiting the Tri-State Metro Area, we'd always go somewhere to New York, be it Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan for dim sum but not this time.

NJ State Museum in Trenton - very interesting and informative. This does not seem to be a well known museum as we were pretty much the only ones there. We stayed for an hour but one can definitely spend 1.5-2 hours there if taken slowly. Trenton itself is a quiet city that looked to have seen better times. We only drove through to get to the museum but it does feel like a mini-Newark but quieter. Other than a few newer developments near the river, it is strange that the state capital is so neglected while other parts are booming.

Princeton - we only stopped by just to check out this world famous university. The campus was really big and hilly, the architecture equally is beautiful. It's kind of like Yale set in a more pastoral setting.

Rutgers New Brunswick - more compact than Princeton but it has nice architecture as well. The Zimmerli Art Museum was a great place to kill time for a couple of hours.

Rutgers Botanical Garden - The botanical garden on the other hand could have been better cared for. There weren't many flowers and parts of the garden did not look upkept. I suppose they rely a lot on students and volunteers. At least it is free to the public.

Thomas Edison National Historic Park (West Orange) - informative historical park about the inventor of the incandescent light bulb. I love history so I enjoyed the site.

Other highlights:

Snug Harbor Botanical Garden - OK, so Staten Island is not part of NJ but it is so close by I might as well include it here. The garden itself was a bit small but was well maintained had more flowers than the aforementioned Rutgers Botanical Garden. The highlight was the Chinese Scholar's Garden, which is something one cannot see everywhere here. I like how they price each activity individuallly, the museums, the Chinese Scholar Garden, etc. rather than charge one large lump sum admission fee.

Staten Island Ferry - this was our first time on this ferry and it was fun. Best of all, it is free and you get great views of Manhattan, Jersey City, and the Statue of Liberty!

ShopRite - We only have their discount subsidiary, PriceRite up here in MA, so we decided to pay a visit to the parent supermarket. We managed to visit one on the way home and it was large, clean and well kept. Prices were higher though and so I think I will stick to the plebian PriceRite from now on.

All in all it was another great trip. Thanks again NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,838,335 times
There are more to NJ than these, check out the famous jersey shores, take boat trips, the board walks, 6 flags, so many farms, so many hiking places. i used to live in LI and Jersey is way better.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,819,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
There are more to NJ than these, check out the famous jersey shores, take boat trips, the board walks, 6 flags, so many farms, so many hiking places. i used to live in LI and Jersey is way better.
Always things to consider for a next trip. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey