Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 203,785 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating from San Diego and looking for a place close to Mt. Laurel (where my husband will be working), but still close to Philly (I will probably end up having to work there). I don't want to live near the coast (gets too expensive and long commute). Does anyone know anything about Cherry Hill. I've heard it doesn't have a "town" to speak of and heavy traffic (but we are from San Diego and before that Chicago, so not sure what "heavy" is to a Cherry Hill resident). The crime rate is a 4 (the nat'l average is a 100, most towns are between 40-70, so this means basically nothing happens there). Any thoughts? Probably want to stay on east side of Philly, but know Camden is gross.

Any other positives/negatives to Cherry Hill?

Any other suggestions of where I can get a 4BR/2.5BA home for $300K-$400K?

Also, how is the traffic (during rush hour) if we end up having to commute from west side of philly to east side of philly or vice versa (NJ)?

If the Cherry Hill deal doesn't fly, any suggestions on west side suburbs that are safe, priced where we are looking, good schools, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 04:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,131,205 times
I'm no expert on Cherry Hill. I live in Mercer County. I drove through Cherry Hill for the first time last week. I was there during rush hour and it seemed like normal rush hour traffic to me; nothing too horrific. Tons of shopping, tons of restaurants. Very close to Philly. I'd expect the job market is great. I know a lot of people that work in Cherry Hill and I deal with a lot of businesses (medical) that have offices in Cherry Hill. It's certainly a convenient location; not only is it close to Philly but to Rt. 295, I-95/Turnpike. Moorestown, NJ was rated the #1 place to live by CNN/Money Magazine this year and Cherry Hill is basically right down the road. In a nutshell, you could certainly do worse.
For the love of Pete, stay away from Camden! lol

Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 PM

138 posts, read 511,079 times
I don't know anything about Cherry Hill but I can tell you trying to find a 4br/2.1 bath home anywhere in NJ for under $400K will be close to impossible, unless it's a handyman special. If you want a referral to a good Realtor who specializes in that particular area, we (Prudential) have offices around there. I could introduce you to someone who can knowledgeably walk/talk you thru!

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 42,726 times
My husband is from cherry hill and we have lived in mt laurel, 1 year, and medford, 6 years. Just recently moved to Moorestown last year- best move we ever made. you probably will be surprised what you will get for your money in Moorestown- but you will NOT be disappointed. Excellent schools , wonderful people, and a nice downtown.

Good Luck

Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 39,397 times
You should check out Collingswood if you are looking for more of a town center experience. In the upper price ranges, there are Moorestown and Haddonfield

Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 39,397 times
Default thoughts on Cherry Hill, NJ

Cherry Hill is only a nice name like Mount Laurel.
There are laurels in a dessert and no mountains , no hills, no cherries.

How far is the village Hamburg from Briggs Road, NJ 08054 ?

Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 39,402 times
Red face Cherry Hill

I moved to Cherry Hill from Brooklyn, NY in Aug 2000, best move I ever made.
Yes, you Can find a great home in your price range; the schools are exceptional, and Im only 7 mins from the Franklin Bridge to downtown Philly. Everything you need is here. Moorestown, Mt Laurel and surrounding areas are great too. If you need to commute to Philly for work, there's PATCO.
I guess it all depends on your priorities!

http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/

Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 54,315 times
Default Nice area

We moved to Cherry Hill 4 years ago and boy did I put a fight...I am a New Yorker at heart. The area has really ended up being great. Cherry Hill does not have a downtown. Though it has pretty much every chain restaurant and store you can think of. My husband and I enjoy Haddonfield which is just down the road and yes, Moorestown is great too. Both have lovely downtowns and good schools. You will find nice older homes in Haddonfield and Moorestown. There is a lot of new construction also going up in Moorestown. Collingswood as mentioned in a previous post is going through a "revitalization" and has some great restaurants and shops, but is not comparable ecomnomically to Hadd.and Moorestown. As the housing market slows you will probably be able to find something that suites you within your price range, though you may have better luck in Cherry Hill. The traffic here is really not a big deal. Nothing to worry about coming from your area. Lots of luck - hope you find yourselves happy here!

Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 AM

18 posts, read 138,167 times
I live in Marlton, and I would recommend living in Mt. Laurel, Medford or Marlton before moving to Cherry Hill. Its a very nice town, but the traffic is a nightmare! Nope, there isnt a downtown but there are stores galore in every direction. The schools are very good in Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel, Medford and Marlton and Moorestown (top rated school district in NJ) BUT, I lived in Moorestown and if you have a special needs child I would discourage it. My son is autistic, and rec'd next to NO services in Moorestown. Its a very wealthy town, and the school feels if you can afford to live there, you can afford to pay for additional services. I moved to Marlton and have been MUCH happier with the school district. You can still get a decent 4 bedroom house in Marlton for $300-350,000.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:38 PM

183 posts, read 1,264,775 times
Default moving to NJ

If you are moving to NJ and want the Phily area Cherry Hill is very nice. The school district is excellent Mooresville, Haddonfield, Marlton and Voohesee are all good too. Cherry Hill East Highschool is rated as one of the top highschool in south Jersey. You can find affordable housing there too. The only problem with Jersey is the taxes they get you anyway they can. Property taxes are one of the highest in the nation. The car insurance is right behind the taxes. Coming from San Diego it shouldn't be much of a difference. If you decide to look around the Phily area check out the city Springfield, Springfield township and King of Prussia areas. I'm not sure what the property taxes in these areas are but they have to be less than Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia