Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM

148 posts, read 370,991 times

Advertisements

Hey all you Nevada people,

I just had to comment on how much I love your state. I love the vast open wilderness and the distance between towns/cities there. It just has such a mysterious aura about it. The sunsets hitting the mountains and turning them almost purple is hard to hate and the weather is just my type of deal, hot and dry with not to much humidity.

My only problem is finding a way to move there considering the economy in your state is heavily reliant moreso on tourism than anything else. I am in the Technical Support field currently with plans to get into Network engineering. I've got a really good job in Virgina for the time being but sometime in my future I would love to settle down in the great old desert. Some people might call me crazy but I have a love for the desert considering I grew up on the east coast where there's trees all over the place and almost no wide open areas.

Anyways, I hope all of you have an awesome day! I just wanted to praise your state,

-Upsilon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Why thank you. I just moved out to Pahrump from Henderson nearing on six months ago, and I do appreciate the beauty of the desert in the more open places. Driving to work, the mountains take my breath away. When I'm going back and forth between Henderson and Pahrump (my roommate still lives in Henderson whom I visit on weekends), driving through the mountain pass is my favorite part (as long as I don't get into an accident; it could be dangerous) as I can never seem to get enough of that vast wide open space as you so well put it.

How interesting is it that you're from Virginia--I'm originally from back east and I've always loved the trees/greenery (and thunderstorms). It's what I sorely miss out here. I'm glad I can appreciate the beauty of both climates, yet I'm not sure how much longer I can go without hearing the rain against the windows or being awaken in fright at the sound of loud and terrible crashes of thunder. Those times instilled in me such a sense of excitment, I don't know why; I miss it awfully.

I had actually thought I wanted to move to Virginia. My sights have now readjusted on Pennsylvania after a recent visit. I too have a good job out here though (at the moment). Interestingly, I do have a pretty fairly decent shot at getting employment back east, and may have already been heading in that direction were it not for my roommate whose employment options are not as versatile. He works in the technical field too: broadcast engineering as it is; that wouldn't be anything like network engineering would it? All the engineering fields tend to run together for a medical professional such as myself. My roommate has always told me he would be willing to move with me back east as soon as I wanted to--it was always the employment issue that held him back.

Ah well--perhaps in time I will just have to move out on my own. On the rare occasions it does rain and thunder out here, it's always difficult to get used to the endless days of sunshine once again. Isn't it always strange how another man's hell can be someone else's paradise? Luckily though it's not all that hellish for me--back in Henderson it was getting to be that way; yet here in Pahrump, I can immediately identify with that sense of mysticism you had mentioned. I can see it here, and it keeps me from yearning too much for the days of rain and thunder.

Well, it was good talking to you. Perhaps you can keep the forum posted as to whether you ever make it out to Nevada. I might just still be here myself!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,019 times
Upsilon, nice post. There are many tech jobs here that support the military.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 PM

148 posts, read 370,991 times
Ah, sorry I didn't get to respond to this post sooner! I agree with you Basil in that it's really interesting that one mans hell can be another mans treasure. I suppose that's what makes us as a species so interesting. We all have different tastes and it truly shows in a forum such as this where all of us from across the globe can communicate our interests and hatred for a particular place; whether it be about the climate, the people or the economy. If you do move to Pennsylvania, make sure you take a lot of pictures of the desert, because you'll never find anything like that on the east coast; it's a very unique area of the country. Hopefully your room mate can make a decision or make the move soon as it seems you might really want to go back there.

As for broadcast engineering, it sounds more so to do with radio communications than actual computer networking but I could be wrong seeing as how these days, those two ideals can most certainly cross over one another, especially with the implementation of wireless networking devices.

Ultimately, I'd say with living in Nevada, as long as you have access to some kind of pool; it's almost paradise in it's own little way. To each his own I suppose.

Best of luck to you,

-Upsilon

Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Me too. It is my happy place.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM

31 posts, read 78,132 times
^5 to the above!!

Thanks for the compliments on our great state! We have a saying out here, when visitors from greener places comment on the lack of trees and other greenery, we tell them 'trees just block your view'! Keep in mind also not all deserts are hot, it snows quite a bit up this way, good luck wherever you end up.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:57 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
It's nice to see someone who knows that Nevada is more than just the Las Vegas Strip. There are a lot of very scenic and wild areas in the state, many of which (unlike most other tourists) I bothered to explore before moving here.

As far as employment - do your best to line up a job before making any commitment to relocation. The job market is very tight, even for high-demand professions.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 57,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I'm glad I can appreciate the beauty of both climates, yet I'm not sure how much longer I can go without hearing the rain against the windows or being awaken in fright at the sound of loud and terrible crashes of thunder. Those times instilled in me such a sense of excitment, I don't know why; I miss it awfully.
Well, you're sure getting your wish now!

It's been raining for days, and we had some thunder & lightning late last night if you were awake for it. Everything in Pahrump is wet now, with a lot of places flooded. Makes me wonder what happened to my dry, sunny desert...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieramone View Post
Well, you're sure getting your wish now!

It's been raining for days, and we had some thunder & lightning late last night if you were awake for it. Everything in Pahrump is wet now, with a lot of places flooded. Makes me wonder what happened to my dry, sunny desert...

Yeah, I know; I've just loved these past few days (I just wish there were no such thing as flooding; I can imagine how awful that must be). Didn't hear any thunder unfortunately. Normally, I would have been gone for the holidays during this time too (two or three years ago, I missed it when it snowed a few inches in Las Vegas).

A co-worker of mine says it hasn't rained like this since 1996. I was soaking up all the enjoyment I could get hearing the rain splattering against my roof and windows and seeing the wonderfully dark, gray, and dreariness outside the window at work. Couldn't get enough of it. It had to come to an end sometime (supposedly it's suppose to rain again toward new year's eve, but I keep thinking that would be too good to be true).

Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,790 times
When I first moved to northern Nevada from the northern California coast (Humboldt), I thought the brown mountains were ugly. I grew up with redwoods and the beach (albeit foggy and rainy), and never appreciated the beauty of that until I moved here. However, I also came to absolutely love the mountains, especially this time of year, snow-capped and gorgeous! and regardless of the beauty of CA, I would never leave here to go back there... I then moved to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 2 years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. The beach was so much different than what I grew up around, I actually hung out there every day if I could!! I am now back in Reno and miss the south so much, not just for the beach, but that contributes highly to it.
Basil mentioned how you're glad you can appreciate both climates, but I am the opposite... I HATE that I love both the desert and the beach. We have lakes, but they just aren't the same IMO. It makes my decision about where to settle down at that much harder....

It is nice to see some people that have good things to say about NV with all the bashing that it usually gets... like I said, I love it here and I would miss it if I went back to the south, just as I miss the south while I'm here. UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada