Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 AM

186 posts, read 245,631 times

Advertisements

Have some questions about Nashville

1-How is the weather in summer and winter compared to NYC ?

2- Will the people be open to a Muslim family with a wife wearing Hijab / hair cover ? we want to avoid dirty looks / comments

3- Is the Job market robust here as statistics and rankings are showing ? I am a supply chain officer who procure spares for Aerospace industry but my job as spares buyer is common also in
Automotive ,Oil , Petrochemicals / Electronics industries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
1. It's hot and humid in summer. We usually have a fairly moderate winter. This year was the coldest in twenty years; with several days down in to the single digits. I can't really compare it to NYC. This forum has detailed weather data for major cities; you might look at those for both Nashville and NYC.

2. I see people with head covering quite often in my neighborhood in west Nashville. Someone would probably get "funny looks" in the more rural parts of the state. Muslins are still a small percentage of the population.

3. Some of our major industries/employers in the greater Nashville area are automotive (Nissan, GM, Bridgestone), medical, distribution (since we are near the geographic center for the eastern US), government, schools (with several colleges), financial services, publishing, stores and restaurants (Dollar General, Shoney's), some consumer electronics (Electrolux), and, of course, the music business. DuPont used to have a major facility here, but I'm not sure what they do out there anymore.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,379,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
Have some questions about Nashville

1-How is the weather in summer and winter compared to NYC ?

2- Will the people be open to a Muslim family with a wife wearing Hijab / hair cover ? we want to avoid dirty looks / comments

3- Is the Job market robust here as statistics and rankings are showing ? I am a supply chain officer who procure spares for Aerospace industry but my job as spares buyer is common also in
Automotive ,Oil , Petrochemicals / Electronics industries
1 - Hot summer, mild winter in my opinion.
I just went through what many consider a bad winter here in Middle Tennessee and it is very mild compared to any Northern city such as NYC.
2 - Depends on where you are, to be honest. There are many of us diverse people migrating here, hence the population growth in the Nashville Metro area. But compared to Chicago or NYC, you will find a larger percentage of the population who are not used to Muslims or are possibly anti-Muslims. So you may get strange looks from time to time.
3 - You can find a job here.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,516,492 times
1. The weather is much milder in the winter here. A snow storm means 1/2" of ice :-)

2. You won't be the only muslims. I sat next to a woman wearing a hijab yesterday watching my kid's soccer game. However, there is a portion of the population that seems pretty anti-muslim and vocal (google Murfreesboro Mosque and Stephen Colbert). That said if you land in Nashville proper (there is a larger Kurdish population here) or one of the more affluent suburbs you'll be with lots of other transplants and more education folk who are open and accepting of different religions and cultures.

3. The job market is good here but it sort of depends on you skill sets. I wouldn't come here trying to be an admin assistance because the competition is fierce, but for higher level positions it is good.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 49,675 times
Williamson County is VERY VERY VERY conservative. You might want to keep that info in mind. Just sayin'

(the county not ironically south of Nashville)

Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest455 View Post
So is Sumner.
And Wilson.....it's just Davidson that isn't. And I guess parts of Rutherford may not be.

But anyway maybe this is just me broadly stereotyping but I wouldn't think anyone would get a lot of "weird looks" in areas of South Nashville that have the big Kurdish populations.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM

620 posts, read 1,191,977 times
Nashville is home to the largest Kurdish population outside of Iraq. We are a cosmopolitan city. We are diversifying. You will be fine.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,356,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Nashville is home to the largest Kurdish population outside of Iraq. We are a cosmopolitan city. We are diversifying. You will be fine.
NO, not anymore, Atlanta has that tile from moving from Nashville.230 miles SE..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,191,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
NO, not anymore, Atlanta has that tile from moving from Nashville.230 miles SE..
I doubt that. Source?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,134,223 times
I lived 10 years in NYC.

Tennessee summers are definitely hotter (think many days in the 90s with some in the 100s), but they tend to *feel* cooler because (in many parts of the Nashville metro) you're surrounded by trees, not by concrete and millions of other people, as in NYC.

I don't think Tennessee is that humid actually. In fact, I think the Mid-Atlantic may be *more* humid. Our winters are unpredictable.

Some winters are very mild. This winter, as others have said, was harsh. We had many nights with lows in the teens, single digits and even hit -2 in Brentwood. (I'm a gardener, so I pay close attention to the weather. Lots of dead plants after this past winter.)

We rarely have any snow, so you wouldn't have to worry about driving in snow or shoveling. On the other hand, Nashville does occasionally get hit by ice storms (perhaps an average of once a year?), which can be much *much* more treacherous than snow, especially on our narrow, winding and hilly roads. The city tends to close down in icy situations, so if neither you nor your wife have a job where you *have* to go out (medical, police, fire, etc.) then you can probably just hunker down and wait until the ice melts.

It's hard to say what sort of welcome your wife would get as an observant Muslim who covers her hair. I'm sure you realize that you'd be coming from an area with MANY Muslims (I just read that 10% of NYC schoolchildren are Muslim) to an area where Muslims are a much smaller percentage of the population and many are not outwardly observant.

I'm making that conclusion on the religiosity or lack thereof in the community based on the fact that I know there ARE lots of Muslims here - especially Kurds and I think more recently Somalians - but I rarely see women wearing the hijab. That said, it's not unheard of. There is a visible Muslim community on Nolensville Road and I'm guessing your wife would feel comfortable and welcomed in that area. I imagine a hijab would draw some attention in other parts of town, only because it is uncommon. But I did see a woman wearing hijab while driving by a home in Nolensville the other day, and I sometimes see exchange students (Malaysians perhaps, or Indonesians) wearing them around Vanderbilt University, so it's not like it would be unheard of.

The best thing (if possible) would be for your whole family to come and visit different parts of the city. I'm sure you'll get a feeling for whether or not you feel comfortable here.

I can't speak to your specific industry, but Nashville is a fast growing city and so I expect that the job market is fairly decent here. I do think based on its highway network and geographical location that Nashville is a shipping and logistics hub. Perhaps that would help you?

Last edited by aaronmidnight; 04-20-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville