Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 PM

850 posts, read 1,548,365 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend was visiting his family recently in Andrews, and he said there was nothing there. What are the surrounding areas like? Conway, Myrtle Beach. We are from California and want to relocated in a few years. Its more Hi-tech here and I know there is none there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,838,221 times
It's tough. Andrews is in Georgetown County, Myrtle Beach is in Horry County. Both have unemployment rates around 11.5%. Horry's other neighboring county has an unemployment rate in excess of 20%, so many of its residents commute into Horry county looking for work. 42 of SC's 46 counties have unemployment rates higher than the national average. Georgetown Steel, one of Georgetown County's top 3 employers, is shutting down indefinitely this month.

The primary industry in this area is providing services to tourists and retirees. The hospitality industry is notorious for low salaries, and many retirees have re-entered the job market due to either boredom or investment losses in retirement savings. That has a significant impact on both job availablity and salaries. People working in medical specialities seem to do well, otherwise, finding good-paying career jobs in this area is a real challenge.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:38 AM

882 posts, read 3,541,341 times
Pawleysdude pretty much summed it up. As much as it pains me to say this.. the fact remains that you will not find the job market anything like what you would find in California. Once the I-73 corridor is completed that is sure to change. Unfortunately, that is 7-10 years away...

Last edited by rrufast; 07-03-2009 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 PM

850 posts, read 1,548,365 times
WOW...and I thought California was bad. Yeah when he went back, he was shocked on how much everything had changed and what was no longer around anymore. He had complained alot about there being nothing to do in California (yeah I know) and more to do in South Carolina. He is an outdoors type and with the hunting restrictions and all the fruity vegans here it makes for a hard hunt or having to drive hours to just hunt deer or pig. He didn't realize how poor his own family was living and how low their wages were.

Its not all gravy here in California with our high cost of living and people getting laid off almost daily out here. We have everything, but at a cost. Jobs pay descent if you have been there for a long time, but get laid off and your at South Carolina wages with your rent being over $1400 for a 1 bedroom apartment (NOT A HOUSE AN APARTMENT!!). Its pathetic. I think he was looking for a way out of the hustle and bustle of this lifestyle and start all over. He can transfer with his job because they have another office there, but for me..not so good. IT is all I know (not an engineer) but the pay and what I know how to do. That sucks, I was hoping for a change real soon and looks like that has to be put on hold for a few years.

He misses home and wanted us to be apart of that. Thanks for the update and reality check on this area. I appreciate your honest response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area