Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,221 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

Trying to find out about the new requirements that are coming out on July 1st-they've not updated the SC website for the new year. We've heard that if your surf casting you now need a fishing license. Is this correct? Even if throwing a cast net too. What can anyone tell us about this and where in the Surfside area could we get the license when we come down. Hubby's main goal in MB has always been the fishing-couldn't care less about golf.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
Yep, as of July 1st, he'll need a saltwater license. I haven't seen any specific reference to a castnet, but I'm not sure I'd want to push the issue too far. Maybe DNR will cut some slack for a little while since it's a big change, but then again, maybe not...

"The new legislation will require all who recreationally harvest fish, oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab to have a saltwater recreational fishing license."

Here's a link to info regarding the change: South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

WallyWorld in Surfside sells licenses. I'm sure there are also some bait & tackle shops in Surfside, but not sure of their location.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks, called the Wallyworld there in Surfside. We can get a non-resident temp license for 11 dollars. Not too bad. Course have to get one for the 16 year old too who likes to throw the net to catch mullet. Oh well, just like everywhere-fees tacked on just for basic fun anymore. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 AM

Yep, not many legal things left that you can do for free, but at least this money goes to a decent cause. DNR gets virtually no money from SC general revenue, and these guys/gals work hard. Portions of the funds also go to preservation of the fishery species through restocking, research, etc. To the best of my knowledge, SC is the last state along the southeastern coast to require a saltwater license. Enjoy your vacation and good luck with the fishing!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks PawleysDude-I know hubby has be stocking up on everything he needs to have a good fishing trip when we are down. What do you know about the piers there? That's one thing we've not tried in the 10 years we've been down. He's only done the surf fishing-just like he does when he's up on Lake Ontario and salmon fishing. Do you have any information about boat rentals there? He's thinking of trying that this trip-can't bring ours and the camper at the same time.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 AM

Hey Mom - I don't fish the piers but I know they're popular. The ones at Surfside, Garden City and Springmaid all seem to draw a good crowd. Usually, the folks in the tackle shop on each pier are more than happy to share info on what's biting, what to use, etc. It's good publicity for them when folks go home happy. The Grand Strand Fishing Report (http://www.scfishingreport.com/Pages/bodies_of_water/saltwater/grand_strand/grand_strand.html - broken link)also includes a small pier/surf report but it doesn't seem to get updated very often.

Capt Dick's (http://www.captdicks.com/boatrentals.htm - broken link) in Murrells Inlet rents small boats for fishing in the Inlet, but IMO they're pricey. If he prefers ocean fishing, he's probably better off to take one of the head boats out of Capt Dick's, or one of the charter boats if he's prepared to spend some $$$. Still, the charter boats are often the best way to create a memory that will last forever, particularly when there are some kids who enjoy fishing. Just my $0.02..... I'll be expecting to see a fishing report on here when y'all come down.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 AM

Hi PawleysDude-

Thanks for the information about both the piers and Capt Dicks. Hubby's like a kid in the candy shop when it comes to fishing. We'll check out Dick's for sure-we've seen them advertised quite a bit. Oh know all about prices on boat trips-he's done them in Key West, St. Petersburg and off Long Island. We bought a sand rake for my youngest daughter the last time we were down and she's been having a field day when we are on the beach with that. We stay at Pirateland when we come so all of them get their fishing in. I'm bringing the laptop this go around-I'll keep you posted on how they do. Thanks again for the wonderful information!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM

40 posts, read 330,234 times
do you need a license to go crabbing

Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM

All I can say is good luck figuring out the new regulations - South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

It says, in part: "The new legislation will require all who recreationally harvest fish, oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab to have a saltwater recreational fishing license."

There are several exemptions, one of which says: "Additional exemptions include.... individuals crabbing with 3 or fewer drop nets, 3 or fewer fold up traps, or 3 or fewer handlines with no hooks and one bait (chicken necking)" If you fall under these guidelines, I don't think you should need a license, but size limits still apply. DNR guys don't like undersized catches.

If you're crabbing from the old bridge in Georgetown, I don't know if that changes anything or not. It was my understanding that the new bridge is the dividing line between freshwater and saltwater for determining whether a saltwater or freshwater license is required, but I might be wrong. It might be worth dropping in on a decent bait & tackle shop around G'Town. Hopefully, they can help figure it out. Regardless, $10/year (or $20/year for fresh and saltwater) is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind. It's a helluva lot cheaper than a DNR ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area