Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM

22 posts, read 53,661 times

Advertisements

So I'm getting ready to move to the Myrtle Beach area. I just read that SC is at 11% unemployment. Are you all really feeling it over there? Should this make relocaters nervous? Apparently things are going to get worse before better.. anyone know any economic forecasts for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM

245 posts, read 762,186 times
I would say it depends on what you do, where you are coming from, and what you expect.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Well.. I'm a college student so I'm happy to get a retail job. But it seems to me that would be one of the first areas to get cut.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM

245 posts, read 762,186 times
I see help wanted signs a lot of places. ...does your other already have a job?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM

No, we have potentials.. I have a phone interview on Monday, he just has apps out right now. We both need full time
We both work here for Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. And would like something in that line of work eventually. Either Ripley's AQ or Alligator Adventure. Just to get out there though.. we are not picky at all!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all of your help by the way!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,193 times
If you currently have a job, or a parent's basement to live in free/cheap, you're absolutely insane to move anywhere unless you already have a job in the new location. The latest SC unemployment rate was 11+%, Horry County's rate was 14+%. Surrounding inland counties are in the 20% range, so many of those residents travel to the MB/Grand Strand area in search of work. Latest projections (http://www.thesunnews.com/business/story/838271.html - broken link)forecast SC's rate peaking out later this year around 15%. You're right, it WILL get worse before it gets better.

To make matters worse around here, MB is overrun by retirees, many of whom have grown bored with playing golf and mowing the lawn. Many of these have re-entered the job market just to have something to do, without worrying about the rate of pay. This not only makes finding a job harder, it depresses pay scale. Every year, the MB Pelicans, a minor league baseball team, has a job fair. Lines are unbelievable and the average age must be 60+. It's something to see.

Offhand, I can't imagine why you'd want to move to MB, but I guess for a young stud straight out of school it could appear appealing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Oh man! I wish I had a free basement to live in!

Well.. that is the deciding factor.. We are not going to move unless we both have jobs lined up!

Oh my goodness! 15% Yikes!

And about the older folk.. there has got to be jobs out here for us young 'uns!

The bf and I are into estuaries/ salt water marshes/ swamps/ coasts etc.. He's more terrestrial but I'm more aquatic. So SC offers us exactly what we want as far as flora and fauna are concerned! Climate out there is also ideal.. we are about to have a snow storm this weekend out here.. jealous?? ...And to think I even own bikinis....

Thanks for the info though! That was great!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,340 times
If I were you I would have a job first. It is very hard to find any job here right now.

Some older people I know, did take PT jobs but not because they are bored but because they are losing money in their 401K.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 AM

Yeah.. we will not be moving unless we do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area