Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM

56 posts, read 135,174 times

Advertisements

My wife, 1 year old and I are planning a late October Myrtle Beach vacation.
From what I can remember the weather should be highs in the lower 80s and lows in the 60s (does that sound about right?). That being said, we're not figuring much ocean time with the little one so we're looking for a hotel with plenty of kiddie activites ( indoor lazy river, kiddie pool, kiddie play areas) .
Compass Cove is the main one we're looking at.
Any of you stayed there? If so, could you let me know what you thought and what building did you stay in.
If you have any other recommendations for a kid friendly resort we're open to other ideas also.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM

142 posts, read 363,374 times
Hmm, let's try this again, Compass Cove is a great resort and you would be happy there, yet being that your coming down the end of Oct and yes the weather is close to what your thinking, I would also suggest you look at Dunes Village, which is the same owner as CC, as they have an indoor waterpark which I think you would really enjoy at this time of year, it is further north on the Blvd in more of a residential area.

Gary

Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM

Lol, sorry about the double post. I put that first one in another forum and it got moved.
Thanks Gary for the reply. We looked into Dune Village after your recommendation and liked what we saw. It's a little bit more expensive but very comparable. From what the boss tells me it's between those 2.
I do have one other question, how many of the seafood restaurants close in the off season?
I'm assuming the majority stay open due to all the golf. Is that correct?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
I just saw this on facebook and thought you might enjoy it.

Myrtle Beach Hotels with the Best Pool Features - Myrtle Beach Blog - Myrtle Beach, SC - Apr 28, 2011

Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks Vrexy, I'm checking it out right now

Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 AM

96% of the restaurants are open all year, unlike when I 1st moved here in 79, most closed after Labor Day and all but 10% closed by the end of October And it's not due to just golf!

Gary

Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Thats what i thought Gary.
I hadn't been this late in the year since the early 80's and remembered probably 50% of them being closed in the off season. Glad this has changed.
I guess I wasn't real clear, I meant that if for no other reason I would think the golf would keep the majority open.
One more question (i hope anyway), what do you know about the Caribbean Resort?
Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 AM

I posted on your other Carribean thread

Stop confusing yourself, from one resort to the next Your not making a commitment to buy something, your just coming for a week or so, make your reservations and relax

Gary

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM

Lol, I hear you Gary.
I think I'm finally there.....just too many choices. I know I'm over thinking it but I usually just get the cheapest room on the beach, but now with a baby involved I figure I'll be seeing much more of the hotel.
You're right though, I need to just decide lol.
Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Default Early vs. Late decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_wall98 View Post
Lol, I hear you Gary.
I think I'm finally there.....just too many choices. I know I'm over thinking it but I usually just get the cheapest room on the beach, but now with a baby involved I figure I'll be seeing much more of the hotel.
You're right though, I need to just decide lol.
Thanks

Here's my advice. You didn't ask for it, but I'm going to give it anyway and you can do what you want with it.

If I were you, I would not make a reservation at all. None of these places are going to be very booked at that time of year. In fact most, if not all, will be begging for customers.

Narrow down your selection of places to stay and then after you get here, go and check them out in person. Negotiate a lower rate with them. You will be able to get a good deal at that time of year. If you book something now, they are going to charge you the going rate. You will definitely be able to save money and be able to stay at a place you like if you keep in mind that customers are sorely lacking at that time of year.

And yes, I am aware that you will be traveling with a baby so my approach may not be something you want to or are comfortable doing. However, that being said, you will most likely get a really good deal at the first place you go, so put your top choices in order and start with the one you think will be the best fit.

If the idea of doing this is too scary, then at least negotiate with them over the phone now, when you decide to call them. You know they will be hurting for business at that time of year, but even more importantly, they know it. Use that knowledge to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area