Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 06:14 AM

16 posts, read 21,399 times

Advertisements

My daughter has a phobia, I am wondering if the bugs are as bad as people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Hot, humid, the south. Had a foot long dragonfly land on my forehead once........

Old 06-23-2022, 07:15 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I have lived bug season in NJ, FL and SC. SC is no worse (and maybe even better) than NJ. It could be because they treat my community in Murrells Inlet on a regular basis.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 82,746 times
Default Re: Bugs

I've only lived in NC and now SC. The Palmetto bugs are very intimidating and prevalent. They look like **** roaches and are BIG. My condo was built in the 80's. They spray every month. I've never seen so many bugs and I spend extra $ to kill bugs myself. I have bugs as big as my thumb inside on a regular basis where I live now. My last townhome in Myrtle didn't have any - inside anyway. We have lots of frogs, lizzard things and ugly anoles too. And snakes, gators now, and I've seen my first black bear. In the south you have lots of mosquitos also. Wish I could say otherwise but this is what I've seen.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeaf View Post
Depends on what you mean by bad. I have lived in several Southern States and never ahd a significant problems. Bugs are virtually everywhere except in very cold climates. Visit and look around.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:10 PM

46 posts, read 43,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeaf View Post
My bugs generally behave themselves!

Old 07-03-2022, 11:08 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
If she has a phobia she is not going to be happy in SC. It doesn't get cold enough here to kill off the bugs in the winter. I get bit up every time I go outside in the spring and summer.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
I live in a large over 55 community. No bugs at all. Had more up north.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:40 PM

36 posts, read 45,773 times
Yes the bugs in SC are very large and plentiful. I'm orginally from Rhode Island had never seen bugs this big. Almost moved back because of those awful palmetto bugs. UGH! My husband is a golfer so I'm still here in a very nice condo community that sprays regularly.

You'll need a monthly pest control treatment for your home and your own supply of bug spray.

Other than that it's a nice place to live. LOL

Old 06-11-2023, 02:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
I’m reviving this thread that’s almost a year old rather than start a new one because I wanted to know if counties and cities in the coastal areas near Charleston spray for mosquitoes regularly. Many places around the U.S. now do this as a matter of course because of West Nile and Zika virus among other diseases mosquitoes carry that can affect both humans and animals like equine encephalitis.

My area of California used to have a mosquito problem even though we have a hot, arid climate because the county next to us has massive rice fields which are flooded with water for much of the year. Anyway, the county does aerial spraying which eliminates them.

I’m also worried about the large and legendary Palmetto bug, although we’ve had an invasion of Turkestan roaches over the past several years which are water roaches that live in the city sewers and invade your house but do not get into food. They are big, brown and FAST!!! They mainly appear in the late spring and summer. We’ve had several, but not enough to hire a pest control service like many of my friends have done. Thanks in advance for any responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area