Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2022, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 36,175 times

Advertisements

We are looking at re locating to Myrtle Beach area. We have a very gifted 12 yr old girl, she is currently in a magnet school, so a really good school is important to us. She would also need a good PED GI DR. I would like to be somewhere I have access to a VA clinic/ Hospital.
My brother lived there a few yrs ago and tried to get us to move there when you can buy a new house for under 200,000 now they are getting out of control like every where else. My Budget would be around 350,000 but would like to keep it closer to 300,000. I am leaning more toward New Builds because I really don't want to get into a bidding war and pay way over for an older house. I am hoping to get down there in the next few months to look around again since soo much has built up and changed since last time and would like to have an idea where to go instead of driving all over the place like last time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 02:34 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,273 times
Finding a new build for $300K in most neighborhoods is close to impossible and buying a new build will not eliminate the bidding war situation. Last year, we were looking at new builds and the agent told us that we could select a lot/house that they would not be able to start on for at least 4 months and we would be put on a wait list. When the house was started, they would contact everyone on the wait list and ask them to put in their best offer (based on a list price that the builder would provide). Highest bidder would get the house when it was completed. So, you should not rely on new builds to avoid paying over asking price. The good news is that the housing market seems to be stabilizing some with the higher interest rates so competition might not be as intense.

As far as neighborhoods with good schools, Carolina Forest is where many families locate as there are more younger folks living there than most other neighborhoods and the schools are highly rated. St James schools also get good marks and there are many neighborhoods that feed those schools.

There is a new VA clinic in the Market Common area and if you lived in either Carolina Forest or the St James area, it would be easily accessible. Most people that I know that need access to a VA hospital travel to Charleston (2 hour drive) for surgeries, etc. It's actually not a bad drive. My wife needed eye surgery last year and we traveled to Charleston (not the VA) for access to a top notch surgeon and, other than having to get up at the crack of dawn to get there, it wasn't a bad experience.

Based on your needs, I suggest you focus on Carolina Forest and areas south of RT 501.

When you come down, I strongly recommend working with an agent to help you zero in on the right neighborhoods in your price range. Not every house within your price comes in a desirable neighborhood. PM me when you're ready and I can provide you with the name of an agent that I recommend (I'm not an agent).

Old 09-20-2022, 08:14 AM

65 posts, read 168,568 times
I'd say Berkshire Forest, but it is getting CROWDED on that bus! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area