Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 30,120 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the status of the Harmony Township subdivision is Georgetown? Google Maps is outdated and a web search found a lawsuit between the developer and the city. My husband and I are thinking of making a quick trip down to check out this area as a potential retirement spot. We like that there is a marina with this subdivision but the price on the lots seem too good to be true. Any info?

Also, what area is the best to live in order to avoid the smell from the paper mill?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
I'm not sure anybody knows the real status of Harmony. The developers finally went into bankruptcy as a result of the 2007 recession, but they were struggling even before then, with infrastructure never fully completed. There has been no recent press regarding the lawsuits, which involved numerous parties, including Georgetown County. It's been about a year since I've driven through Harmony, but IMO the Google Maps are pretty representative of the community. A number of the homes are occupied, but overall, it did not convey a growing community appearance. At one time, the lawsuits were claiming that resold lots were selling for about $0.10 on the dollar. It may offer a great opportunity, but I saw nothing to make me want to move there. It's worth a ride through there before getting too excited.

If the aroma of the paper mill bothers you, Harmony would not be a good choice since it's less than two miles away as the crow flies. I'm not sure there's a "best area" to avoid the aroma, unless it's within a few blocks of the ocean. Even that would not eliminate it until a sea breeze kicked in later in the day. I personally do not find it objectionable, but we live 12-15 miles from the paper mill, and it is frequently noticeable, particularly on humid, still mornings. It reminds me of pluff mud, a trademark of the Lowcountry. If you wish to avoid it entirely, I would rule out Georgetown and Pawleys Island.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 AM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
Pawleys Dude how can you tell the difference between pluff mud and paper mill? We live four miles from the beach at Isle of Palms, but also have the paper mill under 10 miles away. I am sure we get both aromas over here occasionally, but not sure which is which. Any way to tell the difference?

Old 02-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFAN View Post
how can you tell the difference between pluff mud and paper mill?
It's hard for me to tell strictly by smell. Both aromas are sulfur-based, although for different reasons. I've heard them described as "rotten-egg", but for me it more resembles a boiled egg. Location is probably the best way to distinguish them. When the paper mill is noticeable in our area, it's usually fairly well wide spread. To enjoy pluff mud's aroma, I usually need to be in or very near the marsh on low tide or a falling tide, when the mud is able to "breathe". It's rarely noticeable away from the marsh unless you are directly downwind, and even then I've never noticed more than maybe a 1/4 mile(?) away. Other than that, I guess the paper mills tends to be a little more in-your-face noticeable, while the pluff mud just gently sneaks up on you, maybe?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Thank you Pawleys Dude. We are in the area usually at least once a year so we may wait and check it out then.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:25 PM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
Thanks Pawleys Dude. I think you are right. It's that paper mill,
although I can always make believe it's the pluff mud. It definately gets stronger the closer you get to the mill, which is why I am glad we aren't too close! We only notice it a few times a month.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
With the warm southerly breezes this morning, we could smell Georgetown in North Murrells Inlet.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 AM

UPDATE: We spent last weekend in Georgetown and we were pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a dirty little industrial town and that wasn't the impression we got. It was quaint and charming. We still haven't smelled the papermill. We drove through Harmony Township and it was obvious the subdivision was going to be beautiful and the on site marina is exactly the lifestyle we hope for in retirement, but . . . too risky right now not knowing what the future will hold for this development. We are in our early 50's. Keeping Georgetown on the short list of retirement areas.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Pauley, We couldn't agree more about Georgetown.It feels like Mayberry in the low country!

Does anybody know the minimum square footage in Harmony?, or to ask another way, can I buy one of the lots for $5900 and put a doublewide on it?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlpauley21 View Post
We spent last weekend in Georgetown and we were pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a dirty little industrial town and that wasn't the impression we got. It was quaint and charming.
I agree with you. Over the past 20 years, we have often discussed moving to Georgetown, and many days wonder why we haven't. To some degree, it is lacking in shopping opportunities, but we make at least ten visits to Georgetown for each one we make to Myrtle Beach, and usually come back wondering why we wasted a day or evening in MB. I only hope Georgetown is strong enough to retain its character and avoid the MB sprawl that is now crawling over Murrells Inlet and Pawleys.

Stick around long enough and you'll discover the paper mill. You'll find on here quite a few supercilious nostrils whose sensibilities have been offended by the aroma, but IMO it ain't no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area