Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 05:56 AM

163 posts, read 95,368 times

Advertisements

So I love, love, LOVE...piano.

There is something so haunting and so soothing about the sound of a piano being played. It has the ability to transport me to a different world, one where I am surrounded by beautiful melodies and emotions.

I have always admired those who can play the piano effortlessly, their fingers dancing across the keys with such grace and precision. I often find myself lost in the music, getting lost in the intricate melodies and harmonies that the piano can produce.

But what I love most about the piano is its versatility. It can be played in so many different styles, from classical to jazz to pop, and each style has its own unique sound. It's a timeless instrument that has been able to adapt and evolve over the years, remaining relevant and loved by people of all ages.

The sound of a piano can convey so many different emotions – joy, sadness, nostalgia, and everything in between. It has the power to bring tears to my eyes or make me want to dance around the room. It's an instrument that can truly touch the soul.

I was having a conversation with my brother the other day about the violin, he feels that the violin is the most beautiful instrument, but for me, it will always be the piano. I can't quite explain why, but it just resonates with me in a way that no other instrument does.

So, for you music lovers out there, do you think that piano or violin is the most beautiful and engaging of instruments? Which transport and transfixes you? Why? Any particular piece that speaks to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 10:00 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Beautifully written tribute to a wonderful instrument.

If you are ever in the Carolinas, then check out the Sigal Music Museum collection of rare and historic keyboard instruments. You could even play music on instruments actually played by Mozart and Chopin.

The longer I live, the more I respect and appreciate the potential in every instrument -- when played masterfully -- to transport an audience into a different dimension.

The lush tones of a solemn chorale (human voices) are always special as well. example 1, example 2, example 3

Old 03-12-2024, 01:05 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogacatt View Post

There is something so haunting and so soothing about the sound of a piano being played. It has the ability to transport me to a different world, one where I am surrounded by beautiful melodies and emotions.

I have always admired those who can play the piano effortlessly, their fingers dancing across the keys with such grace and precision. I often find myself lost in the music, getting lost in the intricate melodies and harmonies that the piano can produce.

But what I love most about the piano is its versatility. It can be played in so many different styles, from classical to jazz to pop, and each style has its own unique sound. It's a timeless instrument that has been able to adapt and evolve over the years, remaining relevant and loved by people of all ages.

The sound of a piano can convey so many different emotions – joy, sadness, nostalgia, and everything in between. It has the power to bring tears to my eyes or make me want to dance around the room. It's an instrument that can truly touch the soul.

I was having a conversation with my brother the other day about the violin, he feels that the violin is the most beautiful instrument, but for me, it will always be the piano. I can't quite explain why, but it just resonates with me in a way that no other instrument does.

So, for you music lovers out there, do you think that piano or violin is the most beautiful and engaging of instruments? Which transport and transfixes you? Why? Any particular piece that speaks to you?
This piece probably isn't along the lines of what you were thinking about
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8xPOFCTzU
yet it's quite remarkable. The piano has a lot of help,
but it's still the "lead singer," so to speak. And observe
the astonishing power of just a few piano notes!

And on the other hand, of course, there are graceful pieces like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=geER3iQDO5k
(which you've probably heard many a time).

Old 03-12-2024, 04:58 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
I read the comments before the OP (no worries, it's normal) and when you mentioned your brother loving the violin, it was so weird because I was going to say that also before I even read your OP. I know, I'm backwards. That's why I get in so much trouble here at CD land.

Strings are just beautiful, it is something I never knew I liked until I got older. All that head-banging didn't require strings.

I have to agree with your brother on this. It's the violin. Love piano also and pretty much everything else except horns.

As far as what transports me or transfixes me, that would be music as a whole. I will go so far as to say it saved my life.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:31 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I read the comments before the OP (no worries, it's normal) and when you mentioned your brother loving the violin, it was so weird because I was going to say that also before I even read your OP. I know, I'm backwards. That's why I get in so much trouble here at CD land.

Strings are just beautiful, it is something I never knew I liked until I got older. All that head-banging didn't require strings.

I have to agree with your brother on this. It's the violin. Love piano also and pretty much everything else except horns.

As far as what transports me or transfixes me, that would be music as a whole. I will go so far as to say it saved my life.
Here you go Northsouth. Violin paired with piano. This song is beautiful and soul moving. At least it is to me.

Insensatez | Yena Choi, Dan Fontaine by Antônio Carlos Jobim | 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIU_090kow

Old 03-12-2024, 05:37 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Spanish/classical guitar for me. Guitar music can be a lot more complex than strumming chords off a chart. Like piano, a guitar can be very versatile. It can produce multiple notes at the same time, the range covers both clefs, you can create chords and interweave multiple voices and melodies on a guitar too. Ever heard a Bach fugue performed on a classical guitar? So many other instruments require both hands to produce one single note. You can transpose piano and other more complex scores for guitar or sight read them in the moment. The manner in which the strings are touched can transmit emotion and mood. Many notes can be produced on more than one string in more than one way, each with a slightly different tone. Then there's the mysterious world of harmonics. In some ways I consider a guitar a portable piano. In fact, that's why I taught myself to play it. Can't schlep a piano very far. The one thing a guitar doesn't do all that well is sustain a note over time because the strings are plucked, not bowed. Lots of ligados instead.

Then there's the harp. An instrument I've wanted to learn for years. I don't mean a kiddie's elementary lap harp, I mean a concert floor instrument!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-12-2024 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogacatt View Post

Yes, piano. But also violin, guitar played finger style playing bossa nova, and also an entire orchestra such as in the piece below.

Jungle Flower - Dan Fontaine & His Orchestra - Les Baxter - 16mm Film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0dYrkAFPM

Old 03-12-2024, 08:50 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Here you go Northsouth. Violin paired with piano. This song is beautiful and soul moving. At least it is to me.

Insensatez | Yena Choi, Dan Fontaine by Antônio Carlos Jobim | 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIU_090kow
That is beautiful Mike, thanks. I like duets, and I especially love orchestras with the main focus on strings.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
That is beautiful Mike, thanks. I like duets, and I especially love orchestras with the main focus on strings.

You're very welcome, Northsouth.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:32 AM

163 posts, read 95,368 times
The piece Insensatez | Yena Choi, Dan Fontaine by Antônio Carlos Jobim.

Lovely!

Quote:

Haha, that's alright! I find it interesting that you were thinking about the violin before even reading the OP. I find violin to be mesmerizing and soulful as well. I dunno, something about piano makes me feel like I'm in a fairytale (depending on the song, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music