Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

WVU Medicine is building a multi specialty clinic in Waynesburg. With 15,000 employees and growing, including 1,000 medical personnel, WVU Medicine is the State of West Virginia's largest employer.

https://observer-reporter.com/news/p...d8785e584.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
WVU Medicine is building a multi specialty clinic in Waynesburg. With 15,000 employees and growing, including 1,000 medical personnel, WVU Medicine is the State of West Virginia's largest employer.

https://observer-reporter.com/news/p...d8785e584.html
This is an interesting development, I wonder just how far north they plan on going. I wonder how UPMC will take this news.

On another interesting note there are rumors going around that either UPMC or Mon General are backing out of their children's hospital agreement, no clue why though.

If WVU keeps pushing north I have to imagine at some point UPMC is going to try to make a play down in this area.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM

I would think so too. WVU Medicine already has a hospital in Glen Dale. If they pick up say Wheeling Hospital and Weirton, they will effectively surround UPMC on 2 sides. I have a hunch they might do that at some point, but I doubt they will go into Washington. I have a hunch they are just essentially marking their turf and consider Waynesburg to be more in it's orbit than in UPMC's, and UPMC and Mon General backing out of their agreement could have been after the Waynesburg facility was planned.

They also have a facility in Garrett MD but that is essentially in the back yard. My suspicion is that WVU and UPMC will draw boundaries respecting the developing situation. You might see a WVU Medicine facility in Uniontown, that would be logical, but I doubt they go further north in PA than that.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:05 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I would think so too. WVU Medicine already has a hospital in Glen Dale. If they pick up say Wheeling Hospital and Weirton, they will effectively surround UPMC on 2 sides. I have a hunch they might do that at some point, but I doubt they will go into Washington. I have a hunch they are just essentially marking their turf and consider Waynesburg to be more in it's orbit than in UPMC's, and UPMC and Mon General backing out of their agreement could have been after the Waynesburg facility was planned.

They also have a facility in Garrett MD but that is essentially in the back yard. My suspicion is that WVU and UPMC will draw boundaries respecting the developing situation. You might see a WVU Medicine facility in Uniontown, that would be logical, but I doubt they go further north in PA than that.
I could see a Uniontown facility but I get the impression that union town at best is treading water and seems to be slowly dying. Again I could be wrong about this assumption, but this is the impression I get of the area.

It'll be interesting if WVU and UPMC essentially create territory lines, and it'll be even more interesting to see where the lines come out.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I could see a Uniontown facility but I get the impression that union town at best is treading water and seems to be slowly dying. Again I could be wrong about this assumption, but this is the impression I get of the area.

It'll be interesting if WVU and UPMC essentially create territory lines, and it'll be even more interesting to see where the lines come out.
My guess would be Northern Panhandle ... WVU Medicine. Greene County ... WVU Medicine. Southern Fayette PA ... WVU Medicine. Garrett County and Cumberland ... WVU Medicine. Washington County ... UPMC. Northern Fayette ... UPMC.

A lot of hospitals don't have the economy of scale to be profitable any longer. In Wheeling, OVMC was bought out by some California company. Wheeling Hospital seems to be okay for the time being. For some reason, the Charleston hospitals are losing money. 2 hospitals in Huntington want to combine, and maybe that will give them the staying power they need to be profitable? Much of the rest of the state has already thrown in with WVU Medicine.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM

202 posts, read 218,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
This is an interesting development, I wonder just how far north they plan on going. I wonder how UPMC will take this news.

On another interesting note there are rumors going around that either UPMC or Mon General are backing out of their children's hospital agreement, no clue why though.

If WVU keeps pushing north I have to imagine at some point UPMC is going to try to make a play down in this area.
If UPMC ever ventures into WVU Med's territory it will be bad for WVU Med. Having used both UPMC is much better in terms of quality of care, but is way more efficient and organized in the delivery of care. I'm sure someone will refute this with a ranking or two, but it felt like going from the JV team to the varsity tbh.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
If UPMC ever ventures into WVU Med's territory it will be bad for WVU Med. Having used both UPMC is much better in terms of quality of care, but is way more efficient and organized in the delivery of care. I'm sure someone will refute this with a ranking or two, but it felt like going from the JV team to the varsity tbh.
Don't bet on that. During the past few years some of the best Pittsburgh physicians have thrown in with WVU Medicine as well as a couple of the best Ohio State cancer doctors. WVU Medicine is nationally ranked. My ex is a nurse, and she worked for UPMC before getting a better job. UPMC is huge ... more than 50,000 employees, but she says it is too big and unwieldy. I don't think you're going to see the two butting heads though. I suspect there was a meeting of the minds when UPMC was going to throw in with Mon General, and they have likely agreed on general turf constraints. Remember, it is really tough to get into Oakland during the daytime from the South, which makes WVU Medicine very attractive for Greene and southern Fayette folks. It's a lot easier getting in and out. 20 minutes from Waynesburg to Morgantown. During the daytime, more than an hour to Oakland and you are literally fighting traffic for the last half hour of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown