Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times

Advertisements

Anyone having issues getting to work or around downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul too, for normal day to day stuff with Superbowl coming to town. My son works downtown and takes bus, so not issue for him. Some drive cars and have contract parking in ramp and were notified they need to find alternative for a few days because they will not be able to park in ramp, per their contract stipulations regarding special situations/events.
I do not know how many ramps or which ones this effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
My company pays for contract parking, and we have been told of certain roads being closed, however we can still get in our ramp. That being said, it's slow going from what I've been told.

I take the bus and have not been impacted. Most of my office is choosing to work from home for all of next 2 weeks.

It was crazy to see that they actually built a temporary overpass on Nicollet and 9th (overpass goes over 9th, creating a small tunnel) so that cars don't need to stop at the light that is there.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Its probably not going to be that big of a deal, people around here act like the whole nation is going to be coming here and the whole universe is going to be watching the game on their T.V's.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM

One, probably more than one, of the local news programs said the Superbowl is bringing one millions people to the Twin Cities, I just don't believe that number. The stadium seats max. 73,000. Granted there will be extra people to support the half time show, people who just come to town for the spectacle, extra vendors, but I just don't see how it can get to one million, just doesn't make sense to me for that high of a number.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
the road closures that will be occurring (especially the 2nd week) alone will be enough to send the downtown streets into Armageddon mode and clog up every single street to the point where you won't even be able to get to an open parking lot. I'm still praying for a massive snowstorm or, at the very least sub-zero temps. Let these planners test out everything they've worked so hard to train for.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the road closures that will be occurring (especially the 2nd week) alone will be enough to send the downtown streets into Armageddon mode and clog up every single street to the point where you won't even be able to get to an open parking lot. I'm still praying for a massive snowstorm or, at the very least sub-zero temps. Let these planners test out everything they've worked so hard to train for.

This is correct. Nicollet mall is already pedestrian only. 8th street is closed as they have already set up stages for free concerts. Getting into downtown from 9am-3pm was not possible today via 35W as they closed the ramp. They are funneling traffic up 9th street, but it is down to 2 lanes from 4. This week we were sent a map of all the event going on in downtown (free concerts, temporary food halls, etc.). Not saying it won't be possible, but it's why my entire office is choosing to WFH.

I'm thinking about that 1M people number, I think I can imagine it. That's roughly half of what the state fair brings in, and 4 times the amount of people that attend grand ole day. I understand those are mostly locals however.

I was just down in ATL for work, and I arrived the day of the college football Nat'l championship (hosted in ATL, featuring GA and AL!), which is smaller than the superbowl, but similar in the excitement it brings. And no doubt there were a ton of extra people there, just bumming around downtown to attend concerts, watch the game on big screens, etc.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 AM

My son, whose office is a few blocks away from the US Bank stadium, was told that some of the employees who drive and park in ramps were turned away from parking in ramps, which are near the stadium. They are still letting people have contract parking in but if you don't have (at least) monthly contract they are not able to park there. But when superbowl week even contract parking will have to find an alternative.

My son takes bus but the traffic has been much heavier the past few days, probably due to increased activity getting ready for the game. Bus was late getting home 20 minutes yesterday, he thinks because of the increased traffic.

They haven't mentioned wfh alternatives, not sure if they will.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:48 PM

143 posts, read 477,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
My company pays for contract parking, and we have been told of certain roads being closed, however we can still get in our ramp. That being said, it's slow going from what I've been told.

I take the bus and have not been impacted. Most of my office is choosing to work from home for all of next 2 weeks.

It was crazy to see that they actually built a temporary overpass on Nicollet and 9th (overpass goes over 9th, creating a small tunnel) so that cars don't need to stop at the light that is there.
That's actually for the Birkebeiner cross-country ski publicity. It is not a pedestrian overpass.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:14 AM

540 posts, read 1,097,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My son, whose office is a few blocks away from the US Bank stadium, was told that some of the employees who drive and park in ramps were turned away from parking in ramps, which are near the stadium. They are still letting people have contract parking in but if you don't have (at least) monthly contract they are not able to park there. But when superbowl week even contract parking will have to find an alternative.

My son takes bus but the traffic has been much heavier the past few days, probably due to increased activity getting ready for the game. Bus was late getting home 20 minutes yesterday, he thinks because of the increased traffic.

They haven't mentioned wfh alternatives, not sure if they will.

Today is the only day I am in the office this week. I'm either taking days off or WFH. Getting in hasn't been bad, but leaving downtown past about 3:30 has been horrible. It took me 45 minutes just to get on the freeway on the bus on Friday. Having so much stuff around the convention center is really throwing things off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul