Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 25,981 times

Advertisements

I have finally narrowed down my choice (or so it seems) to a few suburban areas but would like your opinions in narrowing it down further so that I can actually go look at rental properties. I will be working in Fridley soon and will be relocating from San Diego, CA. We are a couple in our early 30s and are of Asian origin (Indian). Please advise in terms of Amenities, community, crime and commute to work (not in any particular order):

-Northern suburbs (Blaine, Coon Rapids, Mounds View)
-North-West suburbs (Maple Grove area)
-Western suburbs (St. Louis Park area)

I have left out the South-West suburban areas because of commute time. I am more inclined towards the Western Suburbs but was worried about it being a longer commute to work.

We would really appreciate it if you could direct us to some good apt complex communities in nice neighborhoods.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM

628 posts, read 1,440,036 times
The northern suburbs would be a good choice. Coon Rapids is a nice town and it's close to Fridley.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
The northern suburbs would be a good choice. Coon Rapids is a nice town and it's close to Fridley.
Does the town have much to offer in terms of entertainment and amenities ? We like good trails, parks and nice restaurants, coffee shops etc. Would hate to drive to the city or too far other than on weekends. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM

302 posts, read 728,546 times
You could probably find a nice rental unit in Coon Rapids or Blaine. I wouldn't want to commute from St Louis Park (or the w suburbs) to Fridley...but that's just my personal preference...Hwy 100 can be a mess! Coon Rapids has a nice shopping area (Hwy 10 and Main Street) and there are rental units around there...plus you can just hop on the 10 to Hwy 65/Central to head towards Fridley. Blaine has lots to choose from and you should be able to find rentals near Hwy 65/Central which would take you right over to Fridley. Good luck to you!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM

302 posts, read 728,546 times
To answer your other question...Coon Rapids has lots of parks and great trails at Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park and also Bunker Hills park. I'm a runner and I frequently enjoy the trails in both these areas! As far as restaurants and coffee shops, Coon Rapids mostly has the "chain" places (Dunn Bros, Caribou Coffee...etc...same for restaurants - but LOTS to choose from!) I would look up the chamber of commerce websites of all these places your considering...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

812 posts, read 2,176,524 times
I believe the Coon Rapids Regional Dam area has a nice sized trail that connects to Elm Creek for biking and also some walking trails. That would be a convenient area for you to live depending on where in Fridley you work. However, I wouldn't call any of the areas you mentioned big on nightlife. St. Louis Park would probably be your best bet there but the commute would be tough.

I'm in the area fairly often and the drive to Minneapolis during rush is against traffic so it wouldn't take long to get to where you wanted to be.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
You could probably find a nice rental unit in Coon Rapids or Blaine. I wouldn't want to commute from St Louis Park (or the w suburbs) to Fridley...but that's just my personal preference...Hwy 100 can be a mess! Coon Rapids has a nice shopping area (Hwy 10 and Main Street) and there are rental units around there...plus you can just hop on the 10 to Hwy 65/Central to head towards Fridley. Blaine has lots to choose from and you should be able to find rentals near Hwy 65/Central which would take you right over to Fridley. Good luck to you!

But would I not be going against rush hour traffic (If I am heading towards Fridley) ? and what if I were to be staying in the Maple Grove area

Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereru22 View Post
But would I not be going against rush hour traffic (If I am heading towards Fridley) ? and what if I were to be staying in the Maple Grove area
Not really since 494 is more or less a circle around the cities. The best way to look at traffic is if you can live and work in the same quadrant, traffic is pretty easy. Once you cross quadrants, that is where it gets harder/busier.

I would put Mounds View and Maple Grove at the top of the list. St. Louis Park is nice but why create a commute if you don't have to? I don't think you will like Blaine or Coon Rapids as much as Mounds View or Maple Grove. Amenities all over the metro are basically the same. You won't be more then 15 minutes from pretty much everything you need on a day to day basis. As for crime, no issues in any of those towns.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not really since 494 is more or less a circle around the cities. The best way to look at traffic is if you can live and work in the same quadrant, traffic is pretty easy. Once you cross quadrants, that is where it gets harder/busier.

I would put Mounds View and Maple Grove at the top of the list. St. Louis Park is nice but why create a commute if you don't have to? I don't think you will like Blaine or Coon Rapids as much as Mounds View or Maple Grove. Amenities all over the metro are basically the same. You won't be more then 15 minutes from pretty much everything you need on a day to day basis. As for crime, no issues in any of those towns.

Thanks much golfgal. I am leaning more towards Maple Grove, largely because of a wider selection of good apartment communities. I am originally from St. louis, and we have the Mississippi there too. We would try and avoid having to cross the river during our Morning commute to work because the bridges would cause a bottleneck.....I was wondering if commuting from Maple Grove to Fridley would involve the same experience (on 694).

Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereru22 View Post
Thanks much golfgal. I am leaning more towards Maple Grove, largely because of a wider selection of good apartment communities. I am originally from St. louis, and we have the Mississippi there too. We would try and avoid having to cross the river during our Morning commute to work because the bridges would cause a bottleneck.....I was wondering if commuting from Maple Grove to Fridley would involve the same experience (on 694).
Personally I think the commute from the Maple Grove area is one of the worst in the cities if you are taking the freeways. There are just too many that bottleneck up there but since you are going to Fridley, you would be able to take surface streets and avoid all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul