Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times

Advertisements

i recently mooved to MN from oregon. i want to buy a houes in MN. can someone please tell me a safe and good neighborhood to buy house with good resale value. i am looking to buy 4 bed with more than 2 bath houses. i dont really want to live in the suburb due to the distane and i am not used to the snow driving yet. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Where are you working? What is your budget?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
I'd number the qualifying neighborhoods in the dozens. The ones that don't are a much smaller number, but if you read the Star Tribune headlines, you don't want to end up there. Unfortunately, public safety stats as published only point indirectly at things one needs to know. People who are dedicated to a neighborhood will minimize the danger, but those who care about safety know there are too many good options to jump at a "bargain" house price that is in the middle of a trouble zone. I wish the police would publish the number of times their shot detectors tell them someone fired a gun. There might not be an arrest or chargeable crime, but who wants their kids to grow up listening to illegal guns going off?

Never had to contend with that in the 50's. People were more unified about not wanting millions of guns out there.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'd number the qualifying neighborhoods in the dozens. The ones that don't are a much smaller number, but if you read the Star Tribune headlines, you don't want to end up there. Unfortunately, public safety stats as published only point indirectly at things one needs to know. People who are dedicated to a neighborhood will minimize the danger, but those who care about safety know there are too many good options to jump at a "bargain" house price that is in the middle of a trouble zone. I wish the police would publish the number of times their shot detectors tell them someone fired a gun. There might not be an arrest or chargeable crime, but who wants their kids to grow up listening to illegal guns going off?

Never had to contend with that in the 50's. People were more unified about not wanting millions of guns out there.
It's not the number, but the Minneapolis police department puts out a weekly sound of shots fired map:
Shots Fired Maps - City of Minneapolis

Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
It's not the number, but the Minneapolis police department puts out a weekly sound of shots fired map:
If you flip through a few, there's a certain "consistency" that becomes obvious. You have to be pretty poor and desperate to choose those locations for a place to reside. I can't count the number of times people have come out and said "enough is enough". And it never is. The vigilantes never seem to be anywhere around when the gunfire starts. So the whole claim that an armed society is a polite society is suspect. We have parts of Minneapolis that are both very armed and very impolite. Seems like every few incidents, a toddler dies. You know that toddler wasn't anything but unlucky to be in proximity when these punks start playing Wild West. So, my tendency is to say, don't assume law enforcement will shut this down. The supply channel is loaded with so many firearms the punks will be able to steal something or sell a drug and find a black market where they can get their gun.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM

59 posts, read 103,382 times
Welcome to Minnesota! Hope you love it!

There are lots of great neighborhoods in the cities (Minneapolis or St. Paul) and it really depends on the two things that Golf Gal hits on - where you work (closer to Mpls or St. Paul?) and your budget. And what are you looking for in a city neighborhood? Schools important? Walkable to parks, coffee houses, libraries, etc? Or just safety as your sole priority?

The police reports are a great place to get a sense of which neighborhoods to rule out. After that, I'd recommend getting prequalified for a house (so you know what you can afford to buy) and then start looking. If you find a house you love, come back to it at night & walk around and see if you feel comfortable. Once you rule out the seriously unsafe neighborhoods, a lot of it comes down to whether you'd feel comfortable walking outside at night.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Michael

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM

327 posts, read 526,522 times
I'll believe this is a real/authentic request when the OP follows up with some additional info...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM

31 posts, read 83,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post

This map is very detailed and helpful. I have looked and not found anything for St. Paul. If anyone knows if St. Paul publish something like this as well please share the link.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM

I don't think they do. St Paul shows sections that are higher or lower in crime categories. They don't show precise numbers for a week. You can look at the charts and figure out where the most criminal activity tends to be. And that is in the far eastern portion and along University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul