Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times

Advertisements

I'm on orders to go to Fort Riley, Kansas. Is there any on here who has been there fairly recently? (2006 or later?) Curious to know about the post, the area, the schools, whatever else anyone wants to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 PM

167 posts, read 476,975 times
We lived on post there three years ago. Fort Riley is sandwiched between the towns Junction City and Manhattan. Manhattan is both a military and a college town (K State). Junction City has more of a country feel to it. I've known people who lived in both and were content. Just depends on the person. More shopping in Manhattan and they have added a lot more chain restaurants since we left I heard. Topeka is an hour away and KC is two hours. I did take a college course with a JC police officer who mentioned crime was higher in JC. I dunno, take it for what it's worth I guess. I never looked into it as I rarely went that way and did most my shopping in Manhattan where my kid's therapists were.

My children attended Morris Hill Elementary on post (not a DoD school) and we were happy with the education they received. There is no middle or high school on post. I have no experience with the schools in either town but most of our friends who didn't live on post and had older kids lived in Manhattan.

Barton Community College is on base and spouses can take free college courses. Soldiers get first priority but I was able to almost finish my AA while we were there.

I liked it there because we made the best of it and I'm sure there are worse places, but I'm also glad they don't have the autism services my son needs so we never have to go back. I'm a big city type of gal.

Not sure what else you are looking for but if you think of anything else I'll try my best to answer for you.

Last edited by lawl_rawr; 10-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention which college

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm on orders to go to Fort Riley, Kansas. Is there any on here who has been there fairly recently? (2006 or later?) Curious to know about the post, the area, the schools, whatever else anyone wants to say.
Have not been there in over 20 years but you might read this thread about Riley with a lot of comments: Fort Riley, KS

Rich

Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
We lived on post there three years ago. Fort Riley is sandwiched between the towns Junction City and Manhattan. Manhattan is both a military and a college town (K State). Junction City has more of a country feel to it. I've known people who lived in both and were content. Just depends on the person. More shopping in Manhattan and they have added a lot more chain restaurants since we left I heard. Topeka is an hour away and KC is two hours. I did take a college course with a JC police officer who mentioned crime was higher in JC. I dunno, take it for what it's worth I guess. I never looked into it as I rarely went that way and did most my shopping in Manhattan where my kid's therapists were.

My children attended Morris Hill Elementary on post (not a DoD school) and we were happy with the education they received. There is no middle or high school on post. I have no experience with the schools in either town but most of our friends who didn't live on post and had older kids lived in Manhattan.

Barton Community College is on base and spouses can take free college courses. Soldiers get first priority but I was able to almost finish my AA while we were there.

I liked it there because we made the best of it and I'm sure there are worse places, but I'm also glad they don't have the autism services my son needs so we never have to go back. I'm a big city type of gal.

Not sure what else you are looking for but if you think of anything else I'll try my best to answer for you.
Thank you for taking the time to right such a detailed post. We have been stationed at Fort McPherson/Gillem (which are in the Atlanta metro) since 2005, so I guess it's our turn to go somewhere rural. (We're definitely big city people too, but we're going into this with an open mind... life is what you make it.)

From what I gather, not many people hate Fort Riley and hardly anyone loves it. It's just .. eh, could be worse. That's fine. Our lives are centered around our daughter right now, and any family friendly area will do.

This might sound dumb, but my biggest question is what does it look like? Is it green? Are there trees? Greenery and trees have a big impact on my mood.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 AM

167 posts, read 476,975 times
We just moved from McPherson to SC. I miss Atlanta dearly (just not Newnan).

Riley in itself is green and lush, lots of trees. Although the hour drive to Topeka (and most of the state from what little we drove) is farm land. Typical four seasons. Winters have more snow that stays on the ground, but the ice storm ATL had last year should have you prepared. Summer can be just as humid as Atlanta. In fact, I was surprised to see the frequent tornado watches in Newnan, I thought we had escaped those leaving Kansas.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
We just moved from McPherson to SC. I miss Atlanta dearly (just not Newnan).

Riley in itself is green and lush, lots of trees. Although the hour drive to Topeka (and most of the state from what little we drove) is farm land. Typical four seasons. Winters have more snow that stays on the ground, but the ice storm ATL had last year should have you prepared. Summer can be just as humid as Atlanta. In fact, I was surprised to see the frequent tornado watches in Newnan, I thought we had escaped those leaving Kansas.
You or whoever the Soldier is in your family must be in Third Army. I was Third Army too. I'm glad to hear that Riley is green and has trees. I don't know what it is, but that has a big impact on my mood. I could never quite accomodate myself to Fort Carson, because that yellow treeless landscape just depressed me. (Of course Atlanta is heaven for me.. big city with everything you can think of in a forest setting.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues