Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,865 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking an offer to move to Miami from NJ/NYC.. i have a couple of investment properties in NJ. would i be able to live comfortable w/ 100k salary in Miami?? I love city life.. so I guess I want to be in Miami Beach or South Beach. . would it be possible with 100k.. maybe buy something.. studio...etc... tks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
You are one of a very fortunate group. Take the job move here and enjoy it. The rest of us will be leaving anyway!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
It sounds like you are single. If that's the case, and you can accept modest housing, like a studio or one bedroom (rent better than buying, unless you buy cash), not only would you be able to live comfortably on $100k per year in job income, plus whatever from your investment properties, you could probably save (unless you blow it, possibly literally ).

Just make sure that the pay package also includes health insurance, no longer a given nowadays and will be increasingly less so going forward.

Certainly Miami Beach/South Beach is a good choice, assuming the job is located across the water in downtown/Brickell.

Congratulations!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 AM

yes, i'm a 31 yrs old single male.. the Job will require for me to be between 2 offices, 1 in Hialieah and the other in Miramar.. what's the travel time between the 2? and to Miami/South beach?

I'm not worried about packages since it's the same employer just relocating for another position.. so all my medical, etc.. stays the same..

thanks for your help!!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
It sounds like you are single. If that's the case, and you can accept modest housing, like a studio or one bedroom (rent better than buying, unless you buy cash), not only would you be able to live comfortably on $100k per year in job income, plus whatever from your investment properties, you could probably save (unless you blow it, possibly literally ).

Just make sure that the pay package also includes health insurance, no longer a given nowadays and will be increasingly less so going forward.

Certainly Miami Beach/South Beach is a good choice, assuming the job is located across the water in downtown/Brickell.

Congratulations!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
yes, i'm a 31 yrs old single male.. the Job will require for me to be between 2 offices, 1 in Hialieah and the other in Miramar.. what's the travel time between the 2? and to Miami/South beach?
Well apparently you are willing to sacrifice a commute, including gas expense (maybe the company reimburses a part), to live on Miami Beach, and indeed it may be worth it in your case.

One point in your favor is that you are going against the general flow of traffic once you get past downtown.

Between the two I'd say around 25 minutes. With respect to Miami Beach, I'd say about 30 minutes to Hialeah and 50 minutes to Miramar, but it could vary based on traffic conditions.

Maybe someone with more expertise on this particular issue can chime in.

Have fun on the beach! Moderator cut: English only

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-28-2007 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Moderator cut: english only

what motivates me the most is the beach.. I'm a bit stress with living in NJ/NY area.. so maybe a change will do me well ..

thanks for your responses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Well apparently you are willing to sacrifice a commute, including gas expense (maybe the company reimburses a part), to live on Miami Beach, and indeed it may be worth it in your case.

One point in your favor is that you are going against the general flow of traffic once you get past downtown.

Between the two I'd say around 25 minutes. With respect to Miami Beach, I'd say about 30 minutes to Hialeah and 50 minutes to Miramar, but it could vary based on traffic conditions.

Maybe someone with more expertise on this particular issue can chime in.

Have fun on the beach! Moderator cut: english only

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-28-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 01:24 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
Moderator cut: english only

what motivates me the most is the beach.. I'm a bit stress with living in NJ/NY area.. so maybe a change will do me well ..

thanks for your responses..
Rarely would I recommend a move to Dade County to anyone ... but your case is rare and as long as you live on Miami Beach anywhere from South Beach to Sunny Isles is nice and work on Brickell or nearby and are single with a $ 100 K income you will probably love it down here . I am 26 single live in Boca Raton with a similar income and love it down here , in fact I may move from Boca to either Aventura or South Beach . Would I raise a family here ... no way , but single life with a good income and hot Hispanic babes works fine for me for now . Good luck

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-28-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 02:14 PM

57 posts, read 156,576 times
You can easily live anywhere on $100K and be reasonably happy. S. Florida is a blast if you are young and single with a pocketful of money. One of the biggest complaints down here is the horrific job market and third world pay. You have that licked no problem. You will have hot hispanic babes all over you vying for attention. Try it and see if you like it. You have nothing to lose.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvigor View Post
You can easily live anywhere on $100K and be reasonably happy. S. Florida is a blast if you are young and single with a pocketful of money. One of the biggest complaints down here is the horrific job market and third world pay. You have that licked no problem. You will have hot hispanic babes all over you vying for attention. Try it and see if you like it. You have nothing to lose.
I second that emotion ... go for it !!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 PM

thanks for the responses.. I never thought of 100k as having pokets full.. specially here in NYC.. apparently 100k buys me more in Fl.. ;-)
I'm more motivated to move now.. with all the other threads about Miami.. i was starting to have second thoughts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami