Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 AM

8 posts, read 25,943 times

Advertisements

Just curious to some feedback about the people in Miami, Good and Bad? I have lived here 3 years now and have my own opinion, and yes it is on the negative side. Many people say that one with a negative opinion has a negative attitude, I use to agree.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHPW View Post
Just curious to some feedback about the people in Miami, Good and Bad? I have lived here 3 years now and have my own opinion, and yes it is on the negative side. Many people say that one with a negative opinion has a negative attitude, I use to agree.

I agree with you about people using an attack of saying someone is a negative person when they just state that they don't like something or report the rise in crime in thier city......it doesn't mean that you yourself arent positive and continuing your goals in life like everyone else....it just means that you see changes or real things happening where you live that you have no control over.......you can't control how people's attitudes are...of coarse there is the old.."It happens everywhere" or " There's rude people everywhere"...but there are some places that just have a way of life that make more and more people have attitudes

As for Miami.....I used to live there growing up about 10 years ago.....i was not your typical "white bread" kind of guy....i hung out with kids that stole alot and smoked weed and some had guns.....but i think that i had a good time with everyone i got close to and knew personally....with the exception of some enemies ....but when it came to people in general that were out in stores or driving around ect...that i didnt know.....well i found people to be impatient down there .....i didnt see the difference until i moved to NashVille....but now i see the difference of the overall attitudes......not saying everyone was a prik but the atmosphere was one where i felt like people were always out to get someone or take advantage of others....but i was a teen when i lived there and dealt mainly with other teens and some in thier 20's in my everyday life......maybe others have a different view because we all come from different backgrounds and i'll respect thier view...but just hope to get the same respect and not to be called negative for the way i saw people acting around me

Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM

40 posts, read 101,989 times
Well, I have a negative opinion about MIA. This is a place to go on vacation but not to lived. I think people are very into themselves and material things. I think people up North are layback and they concentrate in other things like education, health etc. In MIA most people concentrate in looks and luxury. I will not call that bad people but honestly they live in a different world.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 AM

217 posts, read 879,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramax View Post
Well, I have a negative opinion about MIA. This is a place to go on vacation but not to lived. I think people are very into themselves and material things. I think people up North are layback and they concentrate in other things like education, health etc. In MIA most people concentrate in looks and luxury. I will not call that bad people but honestly they live in a different world.
Well, I am from up North originally, but I don't the North has a monoply on people wanting education, health, etc.

While I agree Miami is a different world and I would not want to live there, it doesn't mean that every place up North is perfect.

Interestingly, some of the rudest and most stuck up people I've met in Florida have been other Northerners.

Last edited by tallylady46; 11-02-2007 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 AM

854 posts, read 2,863,841 times
Haven't had any bad experiences as of yet.

Except for Miami drivers of course. Worst and most rude drivers I've ever seen. Especially women in SUVs or sports cars think the road is theirs and everybody else has to back up.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
I am a very positive person, but Miami people are the worst I have seen in my life. And yes, I have traveled all over the world and the USA. Nothing compares to Miami's "elite".

Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
I was born and raised in Miami. My parents still live there and I have a few friends from work who still live there. There are good people everywhere, just like there are cruddy people everywhere. It is just seemingly very difficult to find them in Miami. Dealing with the general public in Miami on a daily basis doing some of the most mundane day-to-day tasks has yielded some of the worst interpersonal encounters I've ever had. My few friends that still live there, however, are friends for life. But they are certainly the rare exception, not the rule.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 PM

27 posts, read 84,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHPW View Post
I'm afraid that my opinion strays towards the negative side too.

I've lived here for four years, from Europe originally. I have been to other parts of the USA and I have not experienced the same level of rudeness, stupidity and selfishness as I have here in MIA.

During my time here, I have not made one friend. If you choose to believe that's my fault and that I'm some sort of loser, go right ahead. Needless to say that I haven't found a common ground with anyone here.

I've had bad experiences though, so has my wife. I've seen many liars, users and downright nasty/shady characters here. Don't get me started on the drivers too, many of which shouldn't even be trusted behind the wheel.

In short, my personal opinions of people in Miami are not good, but they are all based on personal experience and the things my wife has had to go through all of her life in this city. Whether it's politicians, doctors, ordinary people.......they cannot be trusted, especially here in Miami.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 9,834 times
From the comments I read here, it sounds like a bit of jealousy, confusion, difficulty in adaptation and misunderstanding. I live abroad and have spent half of my life living all over the world- Japan, Spain, Germany, France...-but I was born and raised in Miami and, yes, I do encounter some intolerable attitudes when I am there from...transplants. I think, often, many people who are not from Miami, often speak of the city from a very limited point of view and tend to pass negative judgement based on the limited areas in which they live and visit and the limited people that they encounter and the limited experiences they have there. Yes, it is often much easier for some to jump on the bandwagon of negative 'press'.

Have any of you tried smiling?

Many people forget that Miami's history is that of a town in the southern United States that grew into a huge multicultural, cosmopolitan mecca. They also forget that, like many southern towns, the common denominator is community. If people allow the attitudes of certain individuals and limited experiences to eclipse the richness and diversity of the city, they have missed a great opportunity.

I love Miami!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia4ever View Post
From the comments I read here, it sounds like a bit of jealousy, confusion, difficulty in adaptation and misunderstanding. I live abroad and have spent half of my life living all over the world- Japan, Spain, Germany, France...-but I was born and raised in Miami and, yes, I do encounter some intolerable attitudes when I am there from...transplants. I think, often, many people who are not from Miami, often speak of the city from a very limited point of view and tend to pass negative judgement based on the limited areas in which they live and visit and the limited people that they encounter and the limited experiences they have there. Yes, it is often much easier for some to jump on the bandwagon of negative 'press'.

Have any of you tried smiling?

Many people forget that Miami's history is that of a town in the southern United States that grew into a huge multicultural, cosmopolitan mecca. They also forget that, like many southern towns, the common denominator is community. If people allow the attitudes of certain individuals and limited experiences to eclipse the richness and diversity of the city, they have missed a great opportunity.

I love Miami!

Well to be blunt, the things you say above are all true - but that doesn't mean that there is a lot of other things that make people like me dislike Miami.

Some people are racist and just don't like the Latin influence. IMHO it is a good thing and I'm glad to have it.

But Miami is rife with corruption and graft. I can't give details without sacrificing my anonymity but I am in a position where I can see a lot more of it than gets into the press. The place is a cesspool of corruption and fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami