Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 8,671 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I'm new in town, And don't know anyone here except my family.

I'm very friendly guy, and had a lot of friends where I came from, but here, I'm all by myself, with English as secondary language, and foreign accent (working on that!)...

I really like south beach, going there at least once every weekend, and still, I never step inside bar/club, because It feels weird going there alone.
Usually I just walking down ocean drive or Lincoln road, feel lonely, so after one hour I'm just going back home.

The only time I took a seat there, was when I went there with my laptop, and set alone in restaurant, at ocean drive.

I thought to myself, that maybe I should find girlfriend first, I didn't have much luck on the internet, so I realized I should get out, but where?

I tried going to haulover beach, had assumption that there are more open minded, friendly people,without masks, but most of the people there are or older,or gay or just couples, and I don't feel convinient speeking with other guys without clothes, and females? well, that was mentioned above.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? What's the best way to meet new people in Miami? what about romantic connections? are there known single bars, you can recommend me?

Last edited by niceguy007; 02-15-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM

99 posts, read 426,361 times
Get involved in a community group, do some volunteer work, go to church or any religous type stuff if your into that, get social at your job and/or school. Go to a concert or big festival, you always meet people in places like those, I know I have.
Where you originally from anyhow?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 PM

763 posts, read 3,537,462 times
I too would say get involved in community events. Off the top of my head, I suggest you go to the Bike Miami event, held every month in Downtown. It's a really nice way to spend a Saturday with lots of really friendly people and riding your bike around. Meeting people at work and doing volunteer work is also another great way to meet people. I also suggest you look into the dating scene at the local universities (FIU and UM for example). See what kind of events they're hosting and try to meet people there.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,637 times
Take a class at a local college. It is very easy to meet people at college.
You said English was your second language. Is Spanish your first? If not, it will be MUCH harder to meet people. You might also want to try bookstores. I've found that nicer and sparter people tend to read more than drink so bookstores (which are alomst like lounges these days) are better places to meet people than bars.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM

433 posts, read 954,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You said English was your second language. Is Spanish your first? If not, it will be MUCH harder to meet people. You might also want to try bookstores. I've found that nicer and sparter people tend to read more than drink so bookstores (which are alomst like lounges these days) are better places to meet people than bars.
Woa, the best advice ever and consider that two years ago I was in your same position niceguy.
Another tip, and my personal experience, try Las Olas instead of Miami Beach, more friendly people up there, it seems like latin women here in Miami are more focus into their circle of friends.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Get involved in a community group, do some volunteer work, go to church or any religous type stuff if your into that, get social at your job and/or school. Go to a concert or big festival, you always meet people in places like those, I know I have.
Where you originally from anyhow?
I'm from Israel, but I don't think I can do much in church (or synagogue )

Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
My native language is Hebrew, but I can handle English pretty well, I think that's a really good idea, maybe I should try it some time.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM

99 posts, read 426,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy007 View Post
I'm from Israel, but I don't think I can do much in church (or synagogue )
My thought was really getting involved in events the church or synagogue do, but if thats not your thing thats fine. Just do as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:50 PM

148 posts, read 638,668 times
I think there is a young professionals group. At least there used to be.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM

710 posts, read 2,237,127 times
Try JDate. Seriously.

If you don't already know, most of the Israelis live around Aventura. That being said, Miami IS a tough place if you don't know anyone. People tend to be VERY friendly only AFTER you break the ice with them.
We've honestly found it very easy to make friends when we had a hook -- kids and our jobs especially. I just finished volunteering in a yearly event. Met tons of really nice, interesting people. Almost too many. lol

That would be the best advice I could give, strolling around Lincoln Road, while lovely, will not yield true friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami