Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,013 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a white guy who has lived up north in Pittsburgh, Pa my whole life. But ever sense I was a little kid I wanted to move someplace where the weather is warm and it feels like I am worlds away from where I grew up. I think Miami is that place. But my parents and alot of other people continually attempt to discourage me from moving there. And I can sort of see where they are coming from, but I could really use an opinion of someone who lives there rather than someone who doesnt.

Is Miami (Miami Beach) over all a safe place to be if you're a white guy who just keeps to himself? Or am I asking to get shot if I walk the streets alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,279,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Jay Pee View Post
Hello. I am a white guy who has lived up north in Pittsburgh, Pa my whole life. But ever sense I was a little kid I wanted to move someplace where the weather is warm and it feels like I am worlds away from where I grew up. I think Miami is that place. But my parents and alot of other people continually attempt to discourage me from moving there. And I can sort of see where they are coming from, but I could really use an opinion of someone who lives there rather than someone who doesnt.

Is Miami (Miami Beach) over all a safe place to be if you're a white guy who just keeps to himself? Or am I asking to get shot if I walk the streets alone?
Miami Beach is not dangerous by Miami standards.....I don't know what kind of neighborhood you grew up in, but if you have some street smarts at all then Miami Beach shouldn't give you any trouble....It is where lots of tourists and Europeans go ...and lots of rich people live there.....The mainland is what you should ask questions about and I'm sure other people on here can explain that more to you.....You just need too make a decent salary to be able to live in the Miami Beach area though.....If you are working fast food or some lower level job up there i wouldn't move down to the Miami area at all unless you have some "connections" that will hook you up with a "job"...if you know what i mean...LOL

Other than that...Miami Beach is great if you are rich and can afford it, but if you are making 50k or less you will be stuck in a stinky studio with terrible maintenance problems....Good Luck!!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 AM

9,409 posts, read 14,358,536 times
If your main criteria is simply warm weather, then consider all of southeast Florida up to Lake Okeechobee (basically Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties) and southwest Florida up to the Tampa-St. Pete area.

You probably think of only Miami because of mass-media image, but you can easily widen your scope, also in terms of potential jobs, while enjoying basically the same weather.

Nonetheless, without a high skill level and good connections, be prepared for low wages ("get paid in sunshine" is the expression around here), but if you are single and live frugally you can probably get by. By taking sensible precautions, as in any other place where there are humans, you can probably avoid being the victim of crime, especially a violent crime.

Try it somewhere for a year or two in a relatively inexpensive rental, you can always go back to your family in Pittsburgh with at least the satisfaction of the experience. And, who knows, if the right circumstances develop, you may stay.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,788,959 times
Although I have a distaste for Miami and its economy, it's unfair to think you will be shot on the streets of Miami Beach. The problem is that unless you secure employment with a generous income stream, you will experience a greatly reduced standard of living.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM

564 posts, read 1,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Jay Pee View Post

I can relate with you. When I first decided to move here over 5 years ago from Minneapolis-St. Paul, I encountered fierce opposition from co-workers and friends. Some said I was doomed to fail financially, others said I would be the victim of violent crime.

I will say that financially it was very tough for me to get some footing. Jobs are not as plentiful here especially in particular industries (I was a computer tech working @ 3M). Now I'm finally established, but it took 4 years to get back to where I was when I moved here.

Crime-wise, I had my car stolen within 6 months of moving here, but that's about it. *knocks on some wood*

Looking back on everything, I really think I made the right choice, because I'm happier here than I was up north. I might suffer from S.A.D. who knows? But I love the sunshine and I don't mind the heat.

There are huge adjustments that need to be made, but give it a shot with a rental as was mentioned by a previous poster, and see if it works out for you. I don't know if I would go for the gulf coast as mentioned, because honestly, there is something electric about the atlantic coast. Drive up and down A1A and tell me you can't feel it.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to expand your horizons.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,801 times
Hello Kay Jay Pee!! Cool name by the way! lol Anyway, I moved to Miami about 5 years ago from Baltimore. I know exactly what you are going through right now. Miami Beach is actually really nice. There are a lot of Jewish, European, and rich people that live there. If your plans are set on "Miami Beach" make sure you have money to live there. There are many other parts(both low income, and high) that you can do research about. I live in the Kendall area, and I love it here. In my opinion, Miami beats Baltimore living anyday. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami