Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think gay marriage will stay in Maryland?
Yes 34 61.82%
No 13 23.64%
Yes after the court overturns the referendum if passed in Nov. 2012 9 16.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM

98 posts, read 276,798 times

Advertisements

Dear Fellow Marylanders:

Gov. O'Malley signed the bill legalizing gay marriage in Maryland today.

How do you really feel about it?

Do you think it will stay that way or will there be enough signatures by opponents to put a referendum on November 2012 ballot to overturn it eventually?

As an authentic Christian, I am for full marriage equality in Maryland. I strongly believe that one's actions and lifestyle do not affect my faith so why cares about what other people do in their bedrooms. It's a total waste of time and energy to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,112,857 times
I think they will get enough signatures to put it on the ballot but I don't think they will garner enough support to overturn it. However, I think the vote in November will be closer than most people expect.

Even if the referendum fails and marriage between homosexuals and lesbians remains the law in Maryland, recognition by the state will not neccesarily equate to recognition by the religious institutions.

Some will recognize such marriages and some will not and that's when the debate will really get interesting, because the question will become whether or not the state will force religious institutions to embrace and/or recognize these unions through punitive measures, such as revoking any tax exemption status.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,886,354 times
Hasn't really bothered me since they can do what they want.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM

98 posts, read 276,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I think they will get enough signatures to put it on the ballot but I don't think they will garner enough support to overturn it. However, I think the vote in November will be closer than most people expect.

Even if the referendum fails and marriage between homosexuals and lesbians remains the law in Maryland, recognition by the state will not neccesarily equate to recognition by the religious institutions.

Some will recognize such marriages and some will not and that's when the debate will really get interesting, because the question will become whether or not the state will force religious institutions to embrace and/or recognize these unions through punitive measures, such as revoking any tax exemption status.
I believe they will get 55,100 signatures required to put the referendum on the ballot.

I hope it won't be overturned; we could be surprised because Maryland isn't overwhelming liberal as it is perceived to be. According to the last poll in January, only 53 percent of Marylanders are for gay marriage. With the margin of error, it could easily be overturned by 49% Yes and 51% No.

I think it doesn't matter if religious institutions embrace it or not as long it's legal by the state. They don't have to get married in churches or have loved one being sick at a Catholic hospital where they are more likely to be treated unfairly.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 AM

581 posts, read 970,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
I hope it won't be overturned; we could be surprised because Maryland isn't overwhelming liberal as it is perceived to be.
I kind of get the feeling that most people are democrats, but many are not liberals in the true sense of the word. I know plenty of people who invariably vote democrat yet seem pretty conservative (mostly older folks).

The Baltimore, DC, and the area in between are liberal. The rest, including Annapolis, is pretty conservative. If it gets overturned the signatures and votes will probably mostly come from the more rural areas of the state, but these areas have much less population.

I hope it doesn't get overturned too.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
I think someone mentioned this on another thread, but people are underestimating the power of President Obama's re-election and what impact it will have on this. His re-election is going to bring out droves of black church goers, who were the main ones who got the bill killed last year. I don't know if that will be enough to stop it, but it won't be as easy as it would have been in a non-presidential election year.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
I hope it doesn't get overturned either. It'd be nice for this state to have at least one slightly libertarian law.

Of course, there's always the chance that enough of the ass-backwards folks in this state will band together to bring it down. Good ol' religious fundamentalists. Maryland is not a classically liberal state, it's a modern liberal state... legislate this and tax that and what not. With just enough black religious extremists and white rural conservatives to legislate morality.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Dear Fellow Marylanders:

Gov. O'Malley signed the bill legalizing gay marriage in Maryland today.

How do you really feel about it?

Do you think it will stay that way or will there be enough signatures by opponents to put a referendum on November 2012 ballot to overturn it eventually?

As an authentic Christian, I am for full marriage equality in Maryland. I strongly believe that one's actions and lifestyle do not affect my faith so why cares about what other people do in their bedrooms. It's a total waste of time and energy to me!
So I guess this officially proves that Maryland isn't as Southern as some people thought but is actually a liberal Northern State. I guess some people just got their reality check!

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-02-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hope it doesn't get overturned either. It'd be nice for this state to have at least one slightly libertarian law.

Of course, there's always the chance that enough of the ass-backwards folks in this state will band together to bring it down. Good ol' religious fundamentalists. Maryland is not a classically liberal state, it's a modern liberal state... legislate this and tax that and what not. With just enough black religious extremists and white rural conservatives to legislate morality.
Black religious extremists, as you put it, is really not the only ones that is against gay marriage. Homosexuality is taboo in the black community in general. You will people who have never stepped foot in a church that will make sure that law doesn't pass. That thinking is more cultural than religious.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM

581 posts, read 970,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So I guess this officially proves that Maryland isn't as Southern as some people thought but is actually a liberal Northern State. I guess some people just got their reality check!
I want to argue with you there, but i also don't want to throw the thread off track... ah well.

Maryland seems to be passing gay marriage by just a tiny amount, but I hope it makes it though. It's not over yet and I don't think it'll go as smoothly as many expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland