Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 45,808 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My partner and I are going to Acadia for the first time in early September. I'm really looking for the whole experience of being in nature. I have some questions:

-Which of the campgrounds, if any, on Mt. Desert Island is the quietest?
-Does anyone have any hiking trail advice or suggestions?
-Anything else that we should know or be aware of?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 AM

337 posts, read 432,371 times
Oh my! You are in for a treat!

During September, the crowds vanish and Acadia becomes very quiet and manageable. It is the 2nd most visited park in the US, btw. But, by the time September rolls around, the crowds are gone.

You'll be camping in Blackwoods. There is a second campground called Seawall but it's way out further than you'll want to be. This time of year they usually won't allow you to select your site as opposed to most of the rest of the camping season. They use the sparse attendance to do maintenance in certain areas so they'll try to keep campers in other sections of the park. We prefer to camp along side the Northeastern side of Blackwoods along the "A" section. That's because at night you can usually hear the waves crashing on the rocks all night long as they lull you to sleep in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

The campsites are not overly generous but we tent camp (have for over 30 years) and there is plenty of room for a large tent and screenhouse. There are also pull-throughs for trailers. When you get there you'll be given a site but you do have the ability to check it out before you park and maybe pick an alternate. The rangers there are very friendly and the other campers are always extremey quiet and polite. You should make reservations for sure, however.

As for hiking and exploring, you'll be able to select from a plethora of trails ranging from very easy to extremely challenging. I would recommend the "bubble mountain" trail to get started as you'll climb to the top of some tall mountains and see the surrounding area from on high and also discover the glacial "erratics" that dot the top. Huge marble-like boulders just sitting on the top there are jaw-dropping. Other trails are clearly described such as The "Beehive" which is a very difficult trail and in many spots you'll be hand over foot on giant metal staples mounted in the side of the rock face. Not for me!

Of course you should do the loop road and see all the sights around that. You'll get a CD to drive around with. But, it's the park, itself, after hours that is beautiful to experience. Just typing this reply to you I can clearly smell the heady scent of the pine needles that matt the woods. Bring bikes, too, and enjoy the carriage roads where all vehicles are banned except bikes and horse-drawn carriages.

Water and bathrooms are very conveniently located. Showers, however, are off site. You drive out of the park and to the right about 1/2 mile and you'll find a beautifully kept shower/bath house privately owned and managed. It's cheap. Bring quarters. During September it'll be easy to go whenever you wish. It's open 24/7.

There are plenty of grocery stores in Bar Harbor, too, a town that you'll grow to love. It's got everything you could possibly imagine and we've never had a bad meal there. There are museums to visit on a rainy day, too. Take the lobster-boat tour to really learn a lot about that industry there. WE shop for lobsters and other seafood at Perkins in Bar Harbor.

There is only one beach at Acadia called "sand beach". It's really not that sandy but sandy enough and the water is.......well, cold. But it's refreshing if you're hot. This will give you an idea of just how cold!

Another hike to the top of Cadillac MT. Bring your camera!

Yes, bring some sweaters!

A sparkling jewel within Acadia is Jordan Pond. You'll go there and want to have a meal served outside on the lawn. Read up on this place. I envy you when you go.

I don't know what more to tell you other than we always go toward the middle or end of September for at least four nights ourselves. This year we may be headed in another direction but we'll miss it terribly.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest that you watch this video by Jack Perkins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuyJ6Np48Y

This is the definitive story behind this most wonderful national park. The history of this place is only outdone by the beauty of the place. When you watch this video, try to allow yourself to be transported knowing that you'll be there to experience it for yourselves in a few short weeks!!

Rome

PS Feel free to email me directly if you have any other specific questions. I'd be glad to help you on your first visit!

RJP

Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM

3,693 posts, read 7,462,567 times
If you're considering private campgrounds, outside of the park, we have always enjoyed Somes Sound View: Somes Sound Ocean front wooded campground Acadia National Park Bar Harbor Maine

For a first time visit, I would say a visit to the Thunder Hole, lunch at the Jordan Pond House, bike riding on the carriage paths and sunrise at Cadillac Mountain should all be on your Acadia to-do list.

If you have more time, then blueberry pancakes at Jordan's in Bar Harbor - Indigo Blues, Jordan's Restaurant, Stone Soup - and a boat ride from Southwest Harbor to Islesford - http://www.cranberryisles.com/ - are a couple of my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine