Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM

171 posts, read 94,786 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I will be retiring in few months and considering several places. I am divorced, single with no kids, 60 years young. Have spent most of my working years in San Francisco, and although I like it here, I crave the warmer climate of Southern California and the many things to do for singles that the area has to offer. Other areas as possiblities are to remain put and stay here, ..Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego and a couple other places. I have friends and family at these locations and are very familiar with these areas. Los Angeles on the other hand, although I have been there on several occasions on business its the place that I am least familiar as far as housing etc. Thought about visiting and exploring it more, but with my busy schedule its impossible at this time. My housing budget for a down payment will be around 410k and a monthly budget after taxes will be around 4900 for housing, food, entertainment, general living expenses etc. Folks that are really familiar with L.A. and the greater metro area, what areas, lifestyle, etc. can be had there with my finanacial situation. Thanks in Advance.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,808,517 times
You could buy an $800,000 place about anywhere it might be a condo if you want to live across the street from the beach or have an ocean view. Your question is way to broad. With only a few month left of employment, your source of income for buying and obtaining a loan will differ from most people.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:45 PM

171 posts, read 94,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You could buy an $800,000 place about anywhere it might be a condo if you want to live across the street from the beach or have an ocean view. Your question is way to broad. With only a few month left of employment, your source of income for buying and obtaining a loan will differ from most people.
Thanks for the info, yeah my income will be going down to 4900 a month after taxes..so will be looking to what will make financial sense to make an informed decision. A condo next to the beach sounds marvelous

Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,317,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Not sure 800k is going to get a condo by the beach or with an ocean view. But surely he'll be able to get a nice condo in a nice area for that much.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,190,600 times
You could get a nice condo near the beach in Santa Monica and live comfortably on your budget if that's what you're interested in. You could also try Pasadena. It would be cheaper but it's still a nice area with a lot to offer and it seems to me like it would be a nice place to retire to since it's walkable(as is Santa Monica for the most part) and has lots of great little shops and restaurants.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,808,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Not sure 800k is going to get a condo by the beach or with an ocean view. But surely he'll be able to get a nice condo in a nice area for that much.
Redondo Beach easily, but I guess it depends on if you define Redondo. Away from the beach, with a view is 1Mil for for a small SFR. Condo are even cheaper. Still technically LA County. It is just an example, not a recommendation. It really depends on what the OP is looking for.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,317,163 times
I was thinking more of central or northern LA county, but I guess the South Bay is more affordable.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
you can live and enjoy life on that income but there are so many other places that are a little less pricey on your list: San Diego for one. It might just be enough cheaper to mean a much nicer condo or whatever. Of course one thing to keep in mind, which I am sure you have thought about: condos can have very high fees, thus the $$ doesn't go nearly as far. BTW, I second the thought of Pasadena as well. There are some awesome condos in the city and I love Pasadena. Of course you give up the beach if you move that far inland.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,640,804 times
Hi sir,

Belmont Shores would have what you are looking for.

Also there is currently a unit on PCH in Huntington Beach with a full ocean view. Might be out of your price range...it's $700k+ with $500 HOA. There's townhomes near there in the mid $600's also with $500 HOA's. These are 3 blocks or less from the ocean and nearby HB's Central Park is really nice and expansive. It's also a mile or so walk from the pier and downtown part of HB.

You could also look into Sunset Beach and Seal Beach. The advantage of OC is that traffic is lighter than South Bay and Westside, and in general it's less expensive to either buy or rent.

If you want a nice lower costing coastal area, San Clemente is pretty nice.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,790,192 times
Most condo's by the beach have HOA's approaching $1000/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles