Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 AM

40 posts, read 132,689 times

Advertisements

Would you....
Buy a house this summer (by the skin of your teeth) and grab these excellent interest rates ....

OR

save for a year, buy a house next spring with a nicer financial cushion, but risk a higher interest rate?

I am assuming the cost of housing will be the same next spring but I am concerned that interest rates might be back up to 6%. WHat would you do?

As for the tax incentives, they do not apply for us since we make over 150,000 (which I believe is the cap).

I guess I am afraid of losing out on this "good time to buy"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:54 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswernof View Post
Would you....
Buy a house this summer (by the skin of your teeth) and grab these excellent interest rates ....

OR

save for a year, buy a house next spring with a nicer financial cushion, but risk a higher interest rate?

I am assuming the cost of housing will be the same next spring but I am concerned that interest rates might be back up to 6%. WHat would you do?

As for the tax incentives, they do not apply for us since we make over 150,000 (which I believe is the cap).

All things being equal, buy the house at a lower price. (Most real estate agents are going to tell you to buy now, they need business).

So for instance, if you buy a house and can afford a payment of 2,000 per month..you get to that payment with (completely made up) with a 300K house price and one interest rate, or a 250K price for the same house and higher interest rate..take the 250K house. There is more chance for appreciation with the lower price, you can more easily pay down principal with extra payments, if you have to bail out you won't be as stuck with a depreciated asset, etc. Get the price as low as possible. Wait. Take the money you've saved while waiting and knock off more principal up front via downpayment.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswernof View Post
Would you....

OR

FYI on the cap, there is a phase-out range of $20,000; up to $150,000 it's the full $8,000 credit, anywhere between $150,001 and $170,000 the amount declines.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
Buy now. Interest rates are forever, unless you pay a lot of money to reduce them if rates come down in the future. For example, $300 per month over a 30 year mortgage = $108,000 (I'm using $300 as an example...it could be more or less depending on what happens to rates).
House prices would have to drop much further to make up for an increase in interest rates.
The difference between 4% and 7% on your monthly payment is pretty huge.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Buy now. Interest rates are forever, unless you pay a lot of money to reduce them if rates come down in the future. For example, $300 per month over a 30 year mortgage = $108,000 (I'm using $300 as an example...it could be more or less depending on what happens to rates).
House prices would have to drop much further to make up for an increase in interest rates.
The difference between 4% and 7% on your monthly payment is pretty huge.
How much do you think housing prices will plummet if interest rates were to rocket up to 7%? Enough to make up the difference.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
How much do you think housing prices will plummet if interest rates were to rocket up to 7%? Enough to make up the difference.

I don't think housing prices will plummet at all if rates hit 7%. Not sure why you think rising interest rates would bring prices down, nor do I understand how 7% would be a "Rocket". It's a reasonable rate for a mortgage if you look at history. 3% difference on a mortgage payment is huge though and I would grab the lower rate. Just my opinion. House prices would have to drop quite a bit to make up the difference and I do not believe they will.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I don't think housing prices will plummet at all if rates hit 7%. Not sure why you think rising interest rates would bring prices down, nor do I understand how 7% would be a "Rocket". It's a reasonable rate for a mortgage if you look at history. 3% difference on a mortgage payment is huge though and I would grab the lower rate. Just my opinion. House prices would have to drop quite a bit to make up the difference and I do not believe they will.
Because they would make already expensive mortgage payments un-affordable, and therefore you'd have less qualified buyers, and therefore if you really need to sell, you'll have to take less.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
All things staying the same....

@6% interest....
you can buy a 365K home with 30k down and $2000 monthly mortgage

@5% interest....
you can buy a 405K home with 30k down and $2000 monthly mortgage

Roughly house prices have to come down by 10% for a 400k house.
If I have a choice, I'll take the 365K with 6%.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Because they would make already expensive mortgage payments un-affordable, and therefore you'd have less qualified buyers, and therefore if you really need to sell, you'll have to take less.

I think this affects buyers, not sellers.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM

326 posts, read 429,785 times
There is no harm to shop around to see whether there is something that you like and it is fairly priced. But there is absolutely no reason to hurry up just looking at the low rates. Keep in mind the following:

i) There is no sign that rates will increase any soon, but every market indicator suggests prices will go further down.

ii) Very few people live in their homes for 30 years. Unless you plan to do so, interest rates only affect your payments during the time period you stay. Price, however, determines your equity once you want to sell and move on.

iii) You always have the option to refinance, or better yet, pay early. You cannot renegotiate the price though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island