Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 54,818 times

Advertisements

I have a big landlord. A few days ago they closed the office in myy complex. The people at the office are nice friendly and easy to deal with. Due to no fault of my own I am going to have problems paying in May. If the $600 unemployment kicks in I wont be so desperate but I will still have problems paying. Since the local managers are laid off I had to call the corporate office. They were not easy to call and they were not too happy. I asked them to work with me. They said they will get back to me. What will they do? What should I do?

Old 04-24-2020, 08:36 AM

783 posts, read 1,425,355 times
If you apply for unemployment now, the benefits are paid very quickly with direct deposit. Max is $504 + $600 = $1104. Just pay the late fee until you get enough benefits to cover the May rent.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:55 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Above all make a payment of some kind. As much as you can, keeping other expenses in mind. It will be a show of good faith that you are trying to fulfill your obligation. I would also put it in writing and email it the office that you will pay what ever you can and ask them to work with you. Establish a paper trail. I would not worry too much as they are going to be getting a lot of these kinds of problems and if you show that you can pay something as opposed to nothing, it should look upon you as favorable as a tenant, given he circumstances.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:10 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
if the LL/tenant rules in NY prevent them from starting eviction proceedings, they will not accept a partial payment. This is the downside of dealing with a large corporate landlord. They likely have eviction proceedings locked and loaded (regardless of how nice the front office people are). It may be as simple as hitting a button to start eviction paperwork based on who hasn't paid by the late date.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If you apply for unemployment now, the benefits are paid very quickly with direct deposit. Max is $504 + $600 = $1104. Just pay the late fee until you get enough benefits to cover the May rent.
50 Grand a year should be enough to live on. My rent is about 30k a year so it's not enough. I will try to get unemployment again.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Above all make a payment of some kind. As much as you can, keeping other expenses in mind. It will be a show of good faith that you are trying to fulfill your obligation. I would also put it in writing and email it the office that you will pay what ever you can and ask them to work with you. Establish a paper trail. I would not worry too much as they are going to be getting a lot of these kinds of problems and if you show that you can pay something as opposed to nothing, it should look upon you as favorable as a tenant, given he circumstances.
Thanks, good idea. I can pay about $1000 this month I will ask if they will accept that plus security

Old 04-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
if the LL/tenant rules in NY prevent them from starting eviction proceedings, they will not accept a partial payment. This is the downside of dealing with a large corporate landlord. They likely have eviction proceedings locked and loaded (regardless of how nice the front office people are). It may be as simple as hitting a button to start eviction paperwork based on who hasn't paid by the late date.
Yeah the lease is written to make sure they get paid and to cause max pain if you dont pay (fees fines legal costs). I dont think they will accept partial payment but I will try to make a partial payment electronically. I dont want the stress of not paying but I am sure I am not alone. My friend got furloughed and her employer told her to expect a 20% pay cut when she goes back to work. Everything is going to change

Old 04-24-2020, 02:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
Just heard on radio that Ny state has something in the works for your exact situation. They are going to make landlords accept the security deposit as May’s rent or something along those lines.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.curb...orium-covid-19

Not sure if this applies to LI or not but I’m sure it will.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,172,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.curb...orium-covid-19

Not sure if this applies to LI or not but I’m sure it will.
It applies to the entire State, including LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island